Thread: Seating tyres

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Seating tyres

Hi Folks.

Is there a knack to getting a tyre and tube to seat on the rim properly so that it doesnít look like there is a kink or buckle on it? While it doesn't effect the ride exactly it is very distracting.

This seems like it should be a basic thing really. Iíve been riding for years and seldom had much trouble in the past (on my 26er), but I had to repair 3 punctures (separate instances too! ) on Saturday (Hawthorne bushes!!) and couldnít get the tyre to run true. This was on my 29er and the tyres are Bontrager 29-3 Team Issue Tyre 29x2.25 (with tubes) which seem to have quite flexi side walls. It's the first time I've had them off as they were fitted to the bike on purchase.

Any pointers on seating them correctly are appreciated.

Trail Prospector
    Great?. I too notice that most tires do not seat evenly unless I first do this..
    Seat one bead, grab a tube, and coat it with a little talc* (baby powder), insert, set the other bead and inflate until tire takes shape (+/- 10 psi). YMMV

Remove pump, and with your hands pry the tire side to side to fully seat both beads. Then inflate to 40 psi, spin to check if even. If going tubeless let it sit overnight before popping one bead to remove the tube.
    * If running tubes, talc is your best friend. Store spares in a ziploc with some.

(tapa)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbpete
    You probably have rims with a bead lock that can be used tubeless if desired. Because of the friction of the tube it's harder to get the tire into the bead-lock with a tube than tubeless. Basically you'll have to increase the air pressure until it seats, then lower to desired pressure. You can also work the bead with your hands and add some soap to the tire beads. To see of the bead is mounted properly look around the sidewall of the tire - all the way around on both sides - and see if there are areas that dip into the rim. Look for areas where the line near the bead of the tires is missing. Those are the areas that are not fully seated.

mtbr member
    Air pressure + tire pliers will do the trick quickly. For stubborn tires I inflate to the maximum recommended pressure and sometimes beyond ( 20% or so over ) and use the tire pliers to pull up any reluctant part of the bead. Since it's unlikely that you have tire pliers sometimes the palms of your hands can substitute for one. A little soapy water on the beads can help a lot too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks folks.

A bit more perseverance or patience is the key then. Good calls on the tubes in talc and the soapy water ideas, i'll give 'em a go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Air pressure + tire pliers will do the trick quickly. For stubborn tires I inflate to the maximum recommended pressure and sometimes beyond ( 20% or so over )
    You definitely do NOT want to do this! That's how you STRETCH/RUIN tire beads peeps! I see this all the time - not sure why my tire blows off the rim, I just overinflated it to 70 psi?! Well DUH!!! There was a thread about how bad Schwalbe's are for blowing off rims when the root cause of it all was over-inflation - this was well documented.

Go 40 psi max and then you simply adjust tire by forcing it side to side on the rim with your hands as others have already stated. It has never failed me in over 25 years of wrenching.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Redcoat

Seating tyres

Use VERY soapy (dish soap) warm water wiped around the bead and rim, and inflate to 40 psi. The soapy water lubes it to seat nicely then dries out. Works a charm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    You definitely do NOT want to do this! That's how you STRETCH/RUIN tire beads peeps! I see this all the time - not sure why my tire blows off the rim, I just overinflated it to 70 psi?!
    Bull honkey.