mtbr member
    May 2013

Sealing issues on Stans Arch EX. Wtf is this...

Did a search and couldnt find anything about this so I figured it deserved a post. Bought a new 26" handbuilt wheel with the arch ex hoop. 2 times I tried the gorilla rim strip method. Failed the first time because I ran it all the way to the inner edge and the tire pushed it towards the center causing leaks everywhere.

2nd time I went more narrow with it. Well there are 6 tiny holes around this wheel that are damn near right where the tire bead sits. One spot at the seam there is 4 holes and some low spots. How will any tape seal that? Why is it engineered like this? Doesn't make any sense I bought a stans wheel because I thought the issue with leaks would be over.

I haven't tried it yet but I think I will have to run the stans tape because its thin.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sealing issues on Stans Arch EX. Wtf is this...-uploadfromtaptalk1403548285074.jpg  

Last edited by Nathan86; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Edit: see post below.
    I would return it/get my money back. Those holes are not suppose to be there.
    Last edited by ASiameseCat; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Sealing issues on Stans Arch EX. Wtf is this...

Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    I would return it/get my money back. Those holes are not suppose to be there.
    I would assume not but I did read about there being relief holes for the welded seam. Still doesn't make sense... I ordered this wheel from merlin cycles over in the uk. I will have to call around an find out what's going on with this

mtbpete
    The holes are supposed to be there. Because of the inner wall inside the Arch rims and the Flow rims these holes are used for extra venting during the welding process. If you take a look at the profile of these rims on Notubes website you will see the inner wall. Most mountain bike rims do not have this extra wall. The rims are designed for use with Stan's 25mm tape, though 21 usually works. Gorilla tape is 3 times as thick as Stan's tape and also not as slippery so it won't work well on Stan's rims. Other tapes that will work well are Velocity's tape, American Classic tape and Specialized tubeless ready tape. Merlin cycles must be trying to save time and money by not providing the rim taped with included valves.

mtbr member
    Really? Did not know that Stans wheels had holes like that. It looks like someone poorly punched them in.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Changingleaf thanks for the info. I didn't think about the fact that they are a double wall construction. Makes sense why the holes are there now. Ill have to give the stans tape a shot an hopefully I can get it sealed up

mtbpete
    Your welcome. I'm sure you'll get your tires set up perfect with some slippery new tape.

29er
    Apr 2010
    you need the wide tape
    seals up perfectly
    i just did this yesterday on a flow

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This is 21mm inner width so I will get that size. How many wraps? 2?

official eMpTyBRain
    I used Specialized 21mm Specialized tape on my Arch EXs. Two full wraps, worked perfectly.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

29er
    Apr 2010
    don't need to do two full wraps, just make sure u have at least 4-6 inches of overlap

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Update to this madness.

I used stans 21mm tape and in the end it worked but wasnt quite wide enouph on some of the holes to fully cover them. Because the inner wall dips in so much it could actually use a 23mm width to really cover all the holes. Or favor one side the first wrap then favor the other on a second wrap.

I did one wrap then went back and layed 5" strips over some of the small holes left uncovered. Then installed a tire with a tube and pumped it up to 50psi an left it to sit over night to really make a good tape seal.

Next day put the stans sealant in and it seems to be holding good. Wish stans had some info about this on there website but anyhow got it figured out in the end.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan86 View Post
    Update to this madness.

I used stans 21mm tape and in the end it worked but wasnt quite wide enouph on some of the holes to fully cover them. Because the inner wall dips in so much it could actually use a 23mm width to really cover all the holes. Or favor one side the first wrap then favor the other on a second wrap.

I did one wrap then went back and layed 5" strips over some of the small holes left uncovered. Then installed a tire with a tube and pumped it up to 50psi an left it to sit over night to really make a good tape seal.

Next day put the stans sealant in and it seems to be holding good. Wish stans had some info about this on there website but anyhow got it figured out in the end.
    Good going!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation