mtbr member
    May 2008

Sealant necessary with the right UST tire and rim?

I have a new set of Crossmax ST rims. From what I have read in other posts, if I choose the right UST tire, I will not really have to worry about excessive air leakage if I do not use Stan's sealant. I do not live an an area where there are thorns or goatheads.

Never done tubeless, but thought it would be cool to try, especially if all I need is some rim tape and the right tire.

Am I nuts, or do I need to use sealant too?

I am thinking of trying the Contenental Mountain King UST tire.

Former Bike Wrench
    Correct...a true UST Rim and Tire combination does not need any sealant. The Crossmax ST does not need any rim tape, just the UST valve stem.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, any UST tire mounted on a UST rim does not require sealant. I've done a number of downhill races with UST High Rollers on UST Mavic 823 rims without sealant and haven't had any issues.

However, I did recently race a 12 hour downhill event, and put some Stan's sealant in the tires for peace of mind since it was rocky, and after 12 hours, there was a small puncture that had been sealed while riding.

Bottom line, if you're not worried about cutting the tire, you don't need sealant with UST + UST. But, if you're worried about punctures, a little sealant makes for a bomb proof set up.