Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Scwalbe tires: Flats, cuts in sidewall? Losing faith

I was on a group ride and had a couple guys have flats on their Racing Ralph's and I had a flat Stan's eventually sealed on my Rocket Ron tires. A kid I know had his national marathon race cut short by a flat on his Racing Ralph tires. All were set up tubeless.

I'm starting to lose faith in these tires. What am I missing?

mtbr member

RE: Scwalbe tires: Flats, cuts in sidewall? Losing faith

Were they snakeskin? What was the compound? Its always more helpful to note the full tire type rather than just the model name.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    1 1/2 rides out of tubeless ready 2.35 26" Nobby Nic before a sidewall slice... never again. Glad it was on super-duper sale. Now, it makes a nice light-ish tubed tire.

mtbr member
    Were they snakeskin?

mtbr member
    All of these reports of blown sidewalls makes me not even want to try the racing ralph I got for $20....

It is ridiculously light weight (no snakeskin) and does seem really really flimsy. I will be running mine tubed so maybe it will be ok.

Maromero
    The Schwalbe distributor in Mex won't even import any tire without Snakeskin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Nothing to be suprised about, just look at the weight of those tires.
    The same will happen to other weight-weenie tires, like Specialized s-works or Maxxis xc-tires without EXO.

Rocky ground basically requires the reinforced versions, thats why they exist in the first place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Schwalbe tires are known to have supple rubber that performs great until they encounter a sharp object. The very thing that makes them so grippy and fast also makes them easily sliced and fast wearing. Schwalbe even puts on their website that certain tires are race day only. I've switched out to Specialized and Maxxis tires because they seem to be more durable and I don't have a race day only wheel set.

The White Jeff W
    My snakeskin Schwalbes (Racing Ralphs, Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic) have given me no problems. The one pair on non-snakeskin Racing Ralphs I had both had sidewall failures. Moral - Snakeskin every time
    No moss...

Chris Bling
    i was tempted to get the Schwalbe's but decided to forgo the slicing and dicing woes and go with WTB's.

WTB Vigilante front and WTB TrailBoss rear. They resemble a Nobby Nick and Racing Ralph for much less coin and you don't have to worry about your sidewalls nearly as much.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

EMBA Member
    Had more flats with my Schwalbe Knobby Nics then any other tire. Slim

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    WTB Vigilante front and WTB TrailBoss rear. They resemble a Nobby Nick and Racing Ralph for much less coin and you don't have to worry about your sidewalls nearly as much.
    Now i know where all the voices complaining about "fragile" Schwalbe tires are coming from.
    If people expect super light xc-race tires to be as tough as burly trail tires, disappointment is inevitable.
    The WTB combo is more than a pound heavier and probably has about twice the rolling resistance. Great for gnarly trails, unacceptable for cc-racing.
    Equivalent Schwalbe setup would be Muddy Mary front (the Vigilante is a copy of this thread design) and Hans-Dampf rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post

I'm starting to lose faith in these tires. What am I missing?
    Look in the 29er forum for a thread called "the best tubeless brew".
    I believe that making and using this sealant allowed my ralphs to last this long.
    I've been running the same rara for 2 years and about 500 miles. Grant it's pretty bald at this point.

(they were the snakeskin version as well if this makes a difference)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Snakeskin tires have been great for me. This is direct from the Schwalbe website for Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron:
    NOTE: This is an out and out competition tire! Puncture protection and durability are limited!
    They're great for their intended purpose.

OriginalDonk
    I run snakeskin Schwalbes on my trail bike and all mountain steed and have had no problems in over 3 years running everything from Downieville and Sedona to alternating loose over hardpack/rock garden terrain through California.

Maromero
    I guess keyword here would be SnakeSkin.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Scwalbe tires: Flats, cuts in sidewall? Losing faith

Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    I guess keyword here would be SnakeSkin.
    True dat. Any other tire I tried in the 29er SS RaRa/RoRo weight class has failed. That being said a local trail is killing all sorts of non enduro cased tires.

mtbr member
    Not snakeskin... unfortunately. paper-thin side wall. Pretty awful durability.. For $90, I'd buy 1.5 Maxxis Highroller II tires and be much more satisfied.

The non-SS version is possibly the worst MTB gear ever. It really turned me off to Schwalbe.

bummer.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have a mix of snakeskin and non Racing Ralphs (a couple from 2009) and haven't had sidewall issues riding a mix of terrain including rocks with some regularity. One of the 2009 ones that is a 2.4 is showing a lot of thread on the sidewalls but the tread still looks new (go figure).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】