mtbr member

Scwalbe Procore System at Eurobike.

Here you have it. The Schwalbe Procore system at the Eurobike. The concept looks good but still adds 200 grams (heavy tube weight) and it costs a lot $230 bucks. To me, the system looks like a small inner tube coupled with the Procore sleeve. The Procore sleeve prevents the smaller inner tube to inflate too much and makes it hug the rim and push the tire bead onto the rim. Looks like a smart idea especially for DHer or Enduro guys that get snakebite flats all the time.

EB14: Schwalbe Pumps up Procore Dual Chamber System On All Rims, Jumbo Jim 4.8? Fatbike Tire, Actual weights, more

I know there are some mad bike scientists hard at work to make some sort of a hack version. Post your version if you got it.

I was thinking of drilling a second hole and using a really narrow tube (latex or butyl?) of smaller size than your wheel may work. If you inflate the tubeless tire first then inflate the tube after it may be tight against the rim and provide some extra snake bite protection. However, that is just me brainstorming and then again don't have an extra wheelset to play with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There is a post somewhere on MTBR with a hack based on a road tubular. A narrow tube alone would not work: It would stretch too much.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    There is a post somewhere on MTBR with a hack based on a road tubular. A narrow tube alone would not work: It would stretch too much.
    Here's my question, if they are indeed using a road tubular:

How do you get it to stay down inside the rim, as tight as possible, pushing out and conforming to the beads? Tubulars are, by nature, a more or less "perfect" toroid; they won't deform enough to push down into the bottom of the rim and push against the beads.

Formerly of Kent
    Also, if the two systems are molded together, how does this get around the Tufo tubular-clincher patent?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post

I get what you are saying. It makes sense. Wonder how much weight it will add. Procore adds 200 grams which is the weight of a heavy duty tube. May be worth a try for someone that has a wheelset lying around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, tubulars do "deform" a little, mostly just by getting fatter in all directions when you add air. This presses against the rim and holds it on pretty good, even without glue. On a clincher 29" rim they usually fit pretty good and would hold the beads down, if the rim was close in width to the tire. I never though of it being used like the schwalbe system, but it might work ok if you could get your tire bead on. It would add 600g or so and you have to drill a hole in your rim. Maybe rear tire only?

The schwalbe system looks like a tube stuffed into a treadless road clincher and inflated. It isn't like a tufo tire at all.

EB14: Schwalbe Pumps up Procore Dual Chamber System On All Rims, Jumbo Jim 4.8″ Fatbike Tire, Actual weights, more

Recovering couch patato
    @Jeroen,

Was this the post?

Mountain Bike Review Forum Archives

It needed some refinements but it was there in bite size chunks.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Here's my question, if they are indeed using a road tubular:

How do you get it to stay down inside the rim, as tight as possible, pushing out and conforming to the beads? Tubulars are, by nature, a more or less "perfect" toroid; they won't deform enough to push down into the bottom of the rim and push against the beads.
    The Tufo tubulars actually decrease in diameter when at pressure. Perhaps not enough to stay in place between the beads, but it's a peculiar thing. An innertube expands, a tubular contracts.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski