mtbr member
    Jun 2008

scwalbe performance tires + roval control trail wheels?

hi i m getting a stumpjumper fsr comp in two weeks and im looking at running rocket ron and racing ralph performance tires tubeless. i think the wheels are the roval control trail wheelset. should i run the schwalbe tires or not?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmac View Post
    hi i m getting a stumpjumper fsr comp in two weeks and im looking at running rocket ron and racing ralph performance tires tubeless. i think the wheels are the roval control trail wheelset. should i run the schwalbe tires or not?
    I have ran RaRa's performance on my Rovals Trails, no problem. If you need a set of RaRa's I have new set. Cheap.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Those are not the Roval Controls...they are the Roval Traverse rims mated to house brand hubs..not quite as nice as the aftermarket Roval wheel sets. Easy to set up tubeless though.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Those are not the Roval Controls...they are the Roval Traverse rims mated to house brand hubs..not quite as nice as the aftermarket Roval wheel sets. Easy to set up tubeless though.
    got my bike last week havent ridden it yet. turns out the wheelset it came with is the roval control trail rim with some kind of yellow strip inside. i guess thats for the tubeless conversion with some valves. will use stans valves. and the infamous hi lo hubs.

so i read these hubs are kind of unreliable and many spesh owners have used sram x9 hubs mated to the roval control trail rims. are those rims good? would they be good enough to upgrade with better hubs? shoul i just consider a new stans wheelset down the road? will these rims run normal tires converted to tubeless just like a set of stans rims?

to which stans or dt swiss rim would the roval control trail rim compare?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    LOL the stans can not compare to the Roval Control Trails. The Rovals are in a different league. You would be downgrading. I had a pair of the crest and sent them back after the 1st ride. Flexy and poor hub engagement.

The hubs on the Control Trails are DT swiss 350's FYI. Spun mine for almost a 1000 miles with zero problems.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmac View Post
    got my bike last week havent ridden it yet. turns out the wheelset it came with is the roval control trail rim with some kind of yellow strip inside. i guess thats for the tubeless conversion with some valves. will use stans valves. and the infamous hi lo hubs.

so i read these hubs are kind of unreliable and many spesh owners have used sram x9 hubs mated to the roval control trail rims. are those rims good? would they be good enough to upgrade with better hubs? shoul i just consider a new stans wheelset down the road? will these rims run normal tires converted to tubeless just like a set of stans rims?

to which stans or dt swiss rim would the roval control trail rim compare?

you have to check out the specs. All the numbers are on dts site. IIRC the 400 rims are 24mm and 400g the 450 26mm and 450g and the 500 28mm 500g and then they have pinned versions and rim brake version and finally 29er versions, its a jungle.

I'm getting new wheels soon and they way i choose things are 1 choose the hub you want since they part is the only non disposable one, then choose rims and spokes depending on your intended use. I'd go for DT or Mavic but that just me I guess.

If you want to see dimensions for the Mavic rims you have to log into their dealer site and look around since they don't publish it on the conusmer site for some reason.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If your rear hub is the "laser etched logo" specialized hi/lo, Tech customer service at Specialized says its a 2 pawl Joy-tech unit. Problems with the freehub are being resolved under warranty. No star ratchets like a dt swiss 350. I wouldn't use the rear hub in a build. Front hubs are all pretty simple so it is less critical.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    is "laser etched logo" some grey dots over the black hub body? then yes thats the hub and i guess the wheelset isnt as nice as the one specialized sells as aftermarket that shares the same rims and advertise with a weight of 1650 grams. i weighed my wheelset with discs and cassette and it weighs 2540 grams take out 395 grams for the 1030 cassette and 280 grams for the rotors and you get a 1850 ish gram wheelset. are the rims any good? are they worth upgrading with different hubs? i took out the tires and saw it has yellow rim strip is it tubeless ready with some valves?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The rear hub is 365g. If the spokes are dt supercomps you can figure their weight plus nipples and compare it to a ArchEx. I would not build a wheel with that hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The rear hub is 365g. If the spokes are dt supercomps you can figure their weight plus nipples and compare it to a ArchEx. I would not build a wheel with that hub.
    thanks actually what im trying to figure out is if the rims are any good and worth of a hub/spoke upgrade?