mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Schwalbe tire combo for pine needle/leaves

I guess my rides are mostly rooty trails but fall in the southeast is damp and covered in pine needles and leaves. The tires I have now wash on roots and slip down rocks so. Looking for more traction and have decided on two combos
    Hans damp F / nobby nic R
    Or
    Fat Albert F / nobby nic R

Do any of you use these combos and what's your take?

These are for 26" by the way...

I was also looking at
    High roller 2 F / hans dampf R
    But the Hr2 may be overkill for the riding I do. I would like to do more big mountain riding but I'm sure the hans or Albert can manage for the winter.

Thanks y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't try a lot of new tires, but your post title caught my eye. Where I ride in the NW it's nearly all Fir needles and cones, Madrona leaves, and small sticks, I joke with my riding buddies that tire specs don't often describe my riding conditions. What I have read is that Schwalbe racing tires might not be as tough as other slightly heavier non-racy tires. I have been really happy with the grip of the Ground Control 2.3 I run on the front (on wet roots too), but I am looking at Schwalbes for next season because I can save some significant weight for racing, and I don't ride my race bike everyday, I have an older heavier bike I do most of my training on.
    I would add a GC 2.3 for the rear of the race bike, but the math I'm doing shows I can lose 3/4 of a pound on my rotational weight, and when finishes are seemingly often 30 seconds or less apart on a 1.5-2 hour race that sort of weight can mean place differences. For non-competition (or even occasional competition), I think I'd look at the Ground Control, have you checked those out?

Bellydraft
    I'm in the southeast too. Last fall I tried several tires and most liked the rocket ron front and racing ralph rear. I tried the nobby nic up front and it just didn't work. I'm near savannah/hilton head. Lots of roots, pine needles and leaves. I also tried maxxis aspens, furious freds, tufo xc2 and racing ralph tubulars. The Aspens have been my least favorite for everything. The Rocket Ron in front with pretty much anything round on back is good for here. I am more xc/racer. Ride from nc down to fl and have been really happy with the schwalbes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    This may hurt a little..

mtbr member

Schwalbe tire combo for pine needle/leaves

I wonder if a spike tyre (or cut down spike tyre) would be worth a try?

That would be a Dirty Dan or perhaps a Rocket Ron (if you want a more XC tyre) in the Schwalbe range.

Edit: I just remembered that the Schwalbe Magic Mary will come out soon (if it's not already) which might also be worth a try? Other brands worth thinking about could be: Maxxis Shorty (if/when they release a trail version), Specialized Hillbilly, Continental Vertical, and Maxxis Ignitor.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by 0sparky0 View Post
    I'm in the southeast too. Last fall I tried several tires and most liked the rocket ron front and racing ralph rear. I tried the nobby nic up front and it just didn't work. I'm near savannah/hilton head. Lots of roots, pine needles and leaves. I also tried maxxis aspens, furious freds, tufo xc2 and racing ralph tubulars. The Aspens have been my least favorite for everything. The Rocket Ron in front with pretty much anything round on back is good for here. I am more xc/racer. Ride from nc down to fl and have been really happy with the schwalbes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Funny you should say this.

I'm down in Blacksburg, VA for the long weekend and I've been on a variety of tires here. Rocket Ron and Specy Renegade F/R on my 29er clinchers, Tufo XC4 29er tubulars, and I'll be taking my brand new AM ride out for a shakedown ride with Nobby Nics, front and rear in a couple of hours.

Definitely want a widely spaced, spike-like tire when riding on leaf covered trails. The RoRo seems the best so far. There are some sections where I was getting sideways on high speed UPHILL corners, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ride in the Mid-Atlantic area and I've found that the HR2 front and Ardent rear work best for me in pretty much all conditions. The previous setup was a Hans Dampf front and Nobby Nic rear which was great until the side knobs were getting torn off the tires. The Schwalbes are a good bit lighter than the Maxxis tires, but the benefits of the Maxxis far outweigh the downside of the Schwalbe tires. All things equal the Ardent has better straight line and cornering braking traction. The HR2 and the HD are very similar but the HD is a bit more vague and forgiving. The HR you need really lean the bike and when you do it feels like you're on rails. I am able to run lower pressures on the Maxxis tires because the casings on the Schwalbes are so thin. Another surprising thing I noticed is even at similar pressures I noticed that the Maxxis tires dampen bumps a lot better than the Schwalbes too, it almost feels like I got an extra inch of plush suspension travel. The HR2/Ardent combo is not only cheaper but will last longer as well.