Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Schwalbe Thunder Burt

Thoughts? Please advise if you run them. Read some good reviews coming from racing Ralph and very satisfied. Might have to give this tire a try.
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Thoughts? Please advise if you run them. Read some good reviews coming from racing Ralph and very satisfied. Might have to give this tire a try.
    I don't have any first-hand experience with them, but I do plan
    on using them for next year's race season. If they require more
    skill than I can muster, I'll swap them for Racing Ralphs. This was
    my first year racing cross country, and I used a RoRo/RaRa (f/r)
    setup.

Bellydraft
    I got a pair this morning finally. With the snakeskin they weighed 470 and 450g. I put them on Crests, the front tubeless and rear tubed. The Crests make putting many tires I've used a bit more of a challenge than on my other wheels. That in mind, these were pretty tight, but went on with no drama. I didn't have my preferred Continental tire goo on hand, so used Stans goo. I used one tiny bottle. The tubeless setup took one try to air up with a compressor. Once aired, it was leaking a fair bit from the bead, but not the sidewalls, which many of the racier tires I've used do. Normally I would wait a day before riding a new tire tubeless, but it was so nice out I couldn't resist. By the time I got to the trail a half hr later, the tire was flat. I added more goo and pumped it to about 25psi. It continued to seep a bit during the ride, but never flatted, burped or did anything odd.

I meant to just run this tire in back with a Rocket Ron front. Figured I'd see what would happen with a pair of them on both ends and boy am I glad I did. I usually run a Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph rear on my day to day wheels, which are the Giant wheels on my ANthem X Advanced. I have Enve tubulars with Racing Ralphs on both for races. A tough setup to top. I've had the Crests a while but usually loan them out cuz they haven't been my favorites.

So right off the bat I could tell I was going to be pleasantly surprised. The bike felt really perky. The front was so light and quick turning, though it's only 150g lighter all in than my Giant w RoRo. Nice. The rear spun up VERY quickly, and really encouraged me to stand up and hammer out of corners, as opposed to my normal sit and chill routine.

What surprised me to most was that I rode these with a leaking front, no baseline for pressure, and not so much as a ride around the park before hitting my regular loop. Which, by the way, I knocked several minutes from...

I am totally stunned at how well they corner. I am a fairly good cornerer ( to make up for all of my other inadequacies ), and have until recently been pretty enamoured at how great the RoRos and Racing Ralph tubbies work at maximum velocity corner after corner. These are right there. No question. Very impressive. Totally worth the wait.

My local loop was just groomed, thanks to SEGA-SORBA, who maintain it and just cleaned all of the leaves off the sandy trail. It was firm, and is incredibly rooty. This loop is just under 7mi and has a zillion corners. In a week it'll be covered with leaves and pinestraw again. I'll update this after I've tried in those conditions. I don't expect it to be as awesome as today.

After 4 laps I did air them up to 35psi just to see what they did. Again, it is SUPER rooty, and 35psi is not right for that with any tire. These included. I felt like they lost a LOT on corner grip and they for sure lost a lot in rollover speed on the roots. I was tired though, so I am sure it felt worse than it was. I then did a few miles pavement and felt like I was on road tires. They reminded me of the Furious Freds on pavement, which are pretty good. But these don't feel fragile at all. So far..

Will update more after I've played with them a bit more.
    This may hurt a little..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    0sparky0, 450 and 470 for 26" or 29"? Schwalbe website says 515g for snakeskin 29x2.1....and they are usually a lot lower than actual weight

Bellydraft
    Ryan, those are 29 er versions. After another couple days on them I think they are still awesome. I had one of my (much faster) teammates (Scott Wagner) run them on our ride there the other day. He too was gushing. Same bike. I just handed him the whole wheelset and left the pressure at 23.5psi then attempted to keep up with him on my race wheels. They aren't great for when the ground is covered in leaves. We both tossed it in the same corner where the fast line wasn't cleaned. Happens. Is your bike a 29er Solti?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    This may hurt a little..

mtbr member
    Great review, thank you!
    ________
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep, Cannondale Flash 29er. I have rocket ron 2.25 on front and racing ralph 2.1 on the rear. Thought the Burts would be perfect for our area

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

where to buy?

I've looked online a bit but can't find a dealer with them in stock. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The usual German suspects have them
    Bike-Discount
    Bike24

Etc usually much cheaper than anywhere else

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So what's the consensus on the best version of the Thunder Burt?

TL - 435g
    RaceGuard - 490g
    Snakeskin - 515g

The TL is tempting but the lack of puncture resistance might make it a liability in a race (but the weight is tempting ). The Snakeskin is only slightly heavier than the RaceGuard and appears to provide better overall protection so it would seem to be the best option when trading off weight vs. puncture / sidewall tear resistance. I also noticed that the snakeskin version seems to be completely sold out so my guess is the SS is the most popular version?

Bellydraft
    I have a set of both the raceguards and tl's. Been using and sharing the raceguards w my teammate quite happily. He did puncture the front with a big, sharp stick and had to walk it out. I've been trying to get it to seal. Its in the sidewall, of course, so not expecting it to work. It did reseal, but the hole is big. Will let you know. It's held air for nearly a week, but I haven't ridden on it. Ultimately I'll probably replace it with a tl and keep this as a spare to be used w a tube. Still consider them to be amazing performers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    This may hurt a little..

mtbr member
    Great-looking tire but I can't find the 29x2.1 Snakeskin anywhere.

Also, I'm curious as to Raceguard vs. Snakeskin features: does the Snakeskin model have significantly thicker sidewalls AND tread or only sidewalls? In other words must one choose between just tread or just sidewall protection?
    Last edited by chomxxo; 01-19-2014 at 04:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post

Also, I'm curious as to Raceguard vs. Snakeskin features: is the Snakeskin model have significantly thicker sidewalls AND tread or only sidewalls? In other words must one choose between just tread or just sidewall protection?
    I had the same question. It would appear from Schwalbe's website that the Raceguard has better puncture resistance than the SS version but less sidewall protection and vice versa. That's if you believe the little boxes in their pull down menu. I got tired of waiting for the SS version and picked up the Raceguard (I got a good deal on them). Won't mount them until spring time when thing dry out a bit in the NE. Use the little pull down arrows and you can check out the attributes of each version.

Thunder Burt - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post

Also, I'm curious as to Raceguard vs. Snakeskin features: does the Snakeskin model have significantly thicker sidewalls AND tread or only sidewalls? In other words must one choose between just tread or just sidewall protection?
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt 2014

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    2 of 3 TBs just arrived for 3 S-Works swap. Goodbye Renegade & Fast Trak. Name:  THUNDERBURT.jpg
Views: 6502
Size:  76.7 KB
    ________
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Goodbye Renegade & Fast Trak.
    WHAT? And you're a Spesh guy...what's this world coming to?
    FWIW, I really like the S-Works Fast Track in 2.20, so I'll be interested in your take away after a few runs.
    Last edited by White Bear; 01-31-2014 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Anyone have issues with the non-snakeskin, TL version, holding air tubeless with some stans or does it get more sidewall weep than the snakeskin version?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    I would think that the TL version, meaning tubeless ready, would not have sidewall weep. That's been my experience with the TL 2.2 and 2.1 Rocket Rons; haven't seen any sidewall weep since Schwalbe came out with that spec, but yes the 2009'ish Racing Ralphs used to be bad about that.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I bought the TL version when it first came out. I have used Swork renegades in the rear for a couple years and figured I try the Thunder Burt to see if cornered or braked better. 30 minutes into the first ride I was going up a slightly rocky hill and slit open the sidewall. I have been up this hill 100 times with Renegades and never a problem. The sidewalls are way to thin on TL version. According to the Schwalbe Rep the Raceguards only add protection on the tread area. If you want more protection on the sidewalls then you have to go with the Snakeskin. FWIW, the 30 minutes I did get to ride with the tire it seemed slightly better in hooking up going up loose hills and slightly better on the corners compared to the Renegade.

mtbr member
    Yikes. I had a similar experience with the 2013 Rocket Ron 29x2.1 TL, a very similar tire in casing construction. I got an unsealable flat on a fire road downhill with little to no rocks on the entire race course. I would consider the Raceguard or better version to be mandatory for the rear tire; maybe you can get away with TL-only on the front, as I did for the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by DeronD View Post
    I bought the TL version when it first came out. I have used Swork renegades in the rear for a couple years and figured I try the Thunder Burt to see if cornered or braked better. 30 minutes into the first ride I was going up a slightly rocky hill and slit open the sidewall. I have been up this hill 100 times with Renegades and never a problem. The sidewalls are way to thin on TL version. According to the Schwalbe Rep the Raceguards only add protection on the tread area. If you want more protection on the sidewalls then you have to go with the Snakeskin. FWIW, the 30 minutes I did get to ride with the tire it seemed slightly better in hooking up going up loose hills and slightly better on the corners compared to the Renegade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    With the weight if the SS, its still a huge weight loss from what i am used to. My new 1.95 sworks renegades came in at 498/501. From what I read above the SS came in way below there advertised weight. Would be nice to have a good sidewall and a lighter tire. If I dobt have the skill for the renegades I will try tue TB out.

mtbr member
    Dang....might have to run this tire just cuz my name is on it LOL

Anyone running this as a rear tire?
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    Dang....might have to run this tire just cuz my name is on it LOL

Anyone running this as a rear tire?

Heh, I have a friend named Bronson and that was his first set of tires

mtbr member
    It's even spelt right..most of the time you see Bert....

I am rolling on worn FastTrack tires now and Sunday I washed out the front on a local dirt trail that was slightly wet from rain the day before. So I bought a Pergatory 29x2.3 for the front this morning...the back tire I'm still rolling the FastTrack but not for much longer.
    Is Schwalbe a European Company?
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast