Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    I just put a TB Raceguard 29x2.1 on my bike, replacing a Raceking protection 29x2.2. I don't have my notes in front of me but it was almost a 200gr weight difference. Around here we have mostly hardpack dirt with few rocks and roots, so far I haven't noticed any less traction with the TB vs the RK. It mounted ok (it was tight on the bead), and sealed up tubeless pretty easily. So far I'm very happy with the tire.

I'm considering putting one on the front to replace a Xking protection.
    DaveH
    '15 SalsaHorsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    A quick follow up, I ran the thunder burt on the rear for a local 3hr race (mostly hard pack dirt) and I just finished racing the maah daah hey last weekend. I was a little concerned that the tire might be too weak for this kind of punishment, but so far so good. I did buy a second one and I'm going to give it a try on the front.
    DaveH
    '15 SalsaHorsethief
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Kind of an old thread but I just got one TB for my 29er, planning to run it on the rear with Racing Ralph front. Any feedback on the longevity of it?

I measured the 29x2.25 SnakeSkin here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2qvcCwNg4
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    Kind of an old thread but I just got one TB for my 29er, planning to run it on the rear with Racing Ralph front. Any feedback on the longevity of it?
    I have about 1300 miles on my rear one, including the maah daah hey race, a few local races, and a 12 hr race. Our soil is mostly black dirt, so it's fairly easy on the tires. I can see that there is some wear on the tire, I'd guess that it's able 1/2 way to the point where I'll replace it. No punctures, etc so far (fingers crossed).
    DaveH
    '15 SalsaHorsethief
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Wow,that's a lot of miles. We have hard packed clay here when it's dry, and that's when I plan to use the TB since I ride an Enduro rig for XC races, hope that at least the tires won't hold me back. Great feedback, thx
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can anyone tell me why the raceguard are listed as slower rolling than the snakeskin or Lightskin?...According to the Schwalbe website

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Posted this in the melting feather thread but I just got a 29x2.25 and mine weight 635g! I'm pretty disappointed. Don't know where all that extra rubber came from!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's pretty porky, definitely on the extreme end of the weight variation I've seen recently on Schwalbe tires. I've seen -30g to +50g more than a few times on their tires.
    Hope at least the rolling resistance will prove them worthwhile...
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    I have about 1300 miles on my rear one, including the maah daah hey race, a few local races, and a 12 hr race. Our soil is mostly black dirt, so it's fairly easy on the tires. I can see that there is some wear on the tire, I'd guess that it's able 1/2 way to the point where I'll replace it. No punctures, etc so far (fingers crossed).
    Dave - I'd be curious to know if you have ever run the Specialized Renegade tires? If so, any comparison between the TB and the Renegade you could provide would be welcomed. I read another poster in a different thread who mentioned for him - in his opinion - they were faster and cornered better than Renegades. I love the 2.3 Renegades and have no issues climbing, cornering, racing with them in all types of soil and terrain. I'm not virgin to minimal tread XC races tires have run Crows, Ravens, Maxxlites, Aspens, SmallBlock 8's, Karma's, Nano's, etc... .

The center tread of the Thunder Burt sort of kind of reminds me of the center tread on the old 1.9 Kenda Karma tires I used to race - at least looking at the pictures.

TIA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broeli View Post
    Can anyone tell me why the raceguard are listed as slower rolling than the snakeskin or Lightskin?...According to the Schwalbe website
    There is a reinforcing ply across the tread area of the Raceguard. I presume this adds to hysteresis of the tread area as the tire flattens as it contacts to the ground, adding rolling resistance to a rolling tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Dave - I'd be curious to know if you have ever run the Specialized Renegade tires? If so, any comparison between the TB and the Renegade you could provide would be welcomed. I read another poster in a different thread who mentioned for him - in his opinion - they were faster and cornered better than Renegades. I love the 2.3 Renegades and have no issues climbing, cornering, racing with them in all types of soil and terrain. I'm not virgin to minimal tread XC races tires have run Crows, Ravens, Maxxlites, Aspens, SmallBlock 8's, Karma's, Nano's, etc... .

The center tread of the Thunder Burt sort of kind of reminds me of the center tread on the old 1.9 Kenda Karma tires I used to race - at least looking at the pictures.

TIA
    I have renegades (29x1.8) on my gravel bike, but I haven't tried them on my mountain bike. The renegades are wearing out in less miles than the thunder burts, but that's prob because they are being used on gravel and pavement.
    DaveH
    '15 SalsaHorsethief
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post

TIA
    I had Renegades (S-Works, 1.95") before I switched to Thunder Burts (Snakeskin, 2.25"). I liked Thunder Burts better, I feel a bit more confident while cornering and taking technically difficult climbs.
    I swapped out Renegades to TB-s because one tyre developed sidewall leak and the other one got huge hole that sealant wouldn't seal, TB were very popular tyres around here and I wanted to try them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thunder burt did well in the race in the back with the Racing ralph 2.25 in the front. Course started a bit damp and the semi slick wasn't as scary as expected. When the trail dried up, it gripped well even though I tend to corner pretty aggressively. To be fair, Warrior Creek doesn't require a whole lot of grip or brakes as most of the corners are wonderful berms.

Under those conditions, I wouldn't hesitate to run it again even though I did get a flat on the first lap. I guess it was too little pressure, not enough sealant, or a combination of both. My race partners bike had a bolt fall out of the suspension linkage so he had to use my bike for his final lap. He concurred about the grip and speed of the tire compared to his bonty XR2's

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Posted this in the melting feather thread but I just got a 29x2.25 and mine weight 635g! I'm pretty disappointed. Don't know where all that extra rubber came from!
    Ouch! My 2.25 29er Snakeskin came in at 520g.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

I really like the Thunder Burt, I have raced my 29x2.1 Snakeskins enough to wear down the rear tread, so I rotated them. Although they will get you through the mud with the side knobs, they are not great wet or damp conditions tires.

This year I'm running my old 29x2.1 Rocket Rons on a Crest wheelset for rainy day races, and the Thunder Burts on a Valor wheelset for dry conditions.

On a local trail with really steep climbs, I love the extra climbing traction of the Rocket Rons as well as the velcro-like stick to corners.

For the terrain I live in, with only roots, dirt, and mud, The Rocket Rons are probably the best choice overall. I have tried Ron front/TB rear, but I just prefer a more balanced grip-or-slip on both wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My 29x2.25 snakeskin were 618 and 628gr. 575gr is on the Schwalbe website, so i suppose they changed something lately? Maybe older generation of tires were lighter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    After using the TB rear for this summer I am very impressed: a bit less braking performance compared to RaRa but traction was great in the conditions we've had in Ontario this year. I did ride it in damp conditions a few times and in pouring rain once. As long as you know your tires you will be fine. I did use it with a Racing Ralph front, I have about 1150km on them now. Here it is a quick review:

https://youtu.be/e9g9XQIXGD4
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Anyone knows the actual width of the 29x2.1 Thunder Burt?
    Thanks
    Mine measures up at 51mm on 19mm internal rim (Mavic Allroad), weighed in at 536g and has been my best experience fitting a tubeless tyre so far, I use an innertube to seal one side then was able to pull the other bead into place. So far no punctures running 55g of Stans. It replaced a Panaracer Gravelking SK and rolls much better despite being 40g heavier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123