Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member

Schwalbe Thunder Burt

I've been very pleased with the TB 29 snakeskin rear tire. With A Rocket Ron on the front it is a potent combo, I was shredding corners and muddy roots in a 2hr race last weekend. I'd like to try it on the front. I haven't had any climbing traction or cornering problems like the Nanoraptor. But the Ron is so very good with its worry free grip on the front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    I've been very pleased with the TB 29 snakeskin rear tire. With A Rocket Ron on the front it is a potent combo, I was shredding corners and muddy roots in a 2hr race last weekend. I'd like to try it on the front. I haven't had any climbing traction or cornering problems like the Nanoraptor. But the Ron is so very good with its worry free grip on the front.
    I just installed the same combo. The Thunder Burt sealed up tubeless with zero problems (20 minutes installing on black flag pros). On the other hand, the Rocket Ron took about 3 days of shaking and is only moderately sealed on the sidewalls. I can't wait to see how they perform.

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    After running with a tube then going with Stans...THe performance of this tire tubless is WAY WAY better...IT seamed so fragile with a tube..

My first "dose" of Stans at 2oz was not enough...loosing 5-8psi overnight. Added 1oz more = DONE zero PSI drop now.

Just last night got back from a 10mile AWESOME ride, all dirt, putting my bike in the garage I looked at the TB..covered in dust except I can see bb size "wet spots" here and there...that must be the Stans working it's magic!! Love it!
    But I am slowly killing this tire..it doesn't take abuse well LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Running the same combo as well. Your description is right on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe Thunder Burt-20140512_145411-1-.jpg  

2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Check out my ThunderBurt on Stans
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140509-00731.jpg
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140509-00730.jpg
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140509-00729.jpg

What the heck!!??!! Look at all thoes 'spots'!!

So ThursdayI did a 10mile loop..put my bike away dirty..went to work the next day.
    Come home and see this ^^^^ WooHHhooo

PSI was 30...down to 28...LOL 2 psi made all those spots!!!
    Crazy....
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

psycho cyclo addict
    I see some peeps running them- they are always behind me though

Seriously, WTH would you want to run a 2.1" tire for? I like RaRa 2.25, .35 or .40 on the front AND rear (depending on what fits!).

If you like Mexican food, Thunder Burt makes and excellent front wheel taco (nightmare to maintain traction).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member

Schwalbe Thunder Burt

Psha. Thunder Burt is a race tire. I like 2.2s on my rigid training bike but 2.1s on my Jet 9 Carbon cut weight where it matters most.

mtbr member
    Being a "race tire" would explain why it's not lasting and getting shreaded by my playful riding style..it is skinny and light I agree and with my knobbys getting lower and lower it's slippin more and more...I'm no racer so don't give a hoot about perfect traction as long as I'm having fun!!
    RIDE!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member

Schwalbe Thunder Burt

Heh. If I weren't a racer I'd ride Nobby Nics all day every day. Don't understand the recreational riders that put on race tires and then complain about their durability, volume, and grip. Guess it's fun to have a light bike but do yourself a favor.

mtbr member
    LOL !!
    I bought the tire because it has my name on it :-P
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    I don't expect my tires to last long anyway. I buy a new tire about once a month - always Schwalbe and this one does what I want it to.

Light and fast, with loads of grip (in the right conditions) for my local trails.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What are your thoughts about using them for long course XC, i.e. Leadville...anyone out there want to comment on this? I'm currently training on the 27.5 Ra-Ra's snakeskin and love how they roll...but like "others" I'm being lured in to those singing shores by the Sirens of Light-weighted-ness...hence my interest in the Burties.

560grams verses 480 (ish)? tempting...

I was going to throw them on and put a few hundred on them. Ironically, I have about 800ish on my Ra-Ra's and they still handle/grip well. Granted...this is fire road bombing and asphalt.

mtbr member

Schwalbe Thunder Burt

Just competed the Mohican 100 with a TB snakeskin on the rear. For the Roadville 100 you'd probably do fine with both.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Sweet...Thank you.

Muchas Gracias Senior Mohican -you just made me 5 ounces lighter! Thanks - appreciate the feedback. I'm going to throw them and run'em through the gamut - "Roadville" shouldn't be as hard on them as Bonita Nueva Mexico.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    I've had a chance to try a couple of versions of this tyre. Very happy with the grip, but if you're thinking of Tubeless, don't bother with anything but the Snakeskin!

I initially bought the Raceguard version as it was the only tyre in stock at the time. Sealing it was an absolute pain in the arse! Took literally days and about 200ml of sealant.

I've had to change the rear tyre out to a Snakeskin version. This wasn't any fault of the tyre itself mind, but just the crappy Spex sealant that I had in there. The Spex separated and was not able to seal a pin hole puncture I got last Friday, but the inside of the tyre was a mess as there was a brown liquid plus a mess of super sticky residue that even made the tyre stick to itself!

Now, that gave me the chance to purchase a SnakeSkin TLR version of the tyre.

Wow! Compared to the "Raceguard" version, it was night and day. Tyre beads seated straight away with some soapy water, and then I deflated and added sealant through the valve. The Raceguard literally pissed sealant through the sidewalls, tread and everywhere else, but the SS version has done a little on some small spots on the bead, the nothing on the sidewall.

So, for anyone interested in the Thunder Burts and Tubeless, don't bother with anything but the Snake Skin version!
    I mounted mine today, used Orange Seal on a raceguard and it seated first time, no seeping through the sidewall at all.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Thunder B's...

Thanks Ozzy - I have two 2.1 SNAKE SKINS on their way. Would have had them last week but I guess Schwalbe had shipped a ton of 26-ers over here in the 27.5 packaging..."Oh, those wacky Germans" Should be rolling on them puppies Friday.

All joking aside, I really appreciate the feedback. I think for Leadville ("Roadville") they'll be perfect. I'm using Sans though...that Orange Seal turns your bike into giant orange crepe when you pop a hole...you need an engineering degree to remove it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3