Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Schwalbe Thunder Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    It's even spelt right..most of the time you see Bert....

I am rolling on worn FastTrack tires now and Sunday I washed out the front on a local dirt trail that was slightly wet from rain the day before. So I bought a Pergatory 29x2.3 for the front this morning...the back tire I'm still rolling the FastTrack but not for much longer.
    Is Schwalbe a European Company?
    Schwalbe is German. If you're one of those anti-LBS types you can order from German online stores that ship to the US for cheaper than retail here and they usually have more selection. As for the name, I read it was the winner from an online contest.

mtbr member
    I'm not anti anything when it comes to mountain bikes, I love this sport! I was at two LBSes today :-)

Just did a quick google and yeah looks on the high end up 80-90bucks...
    I'm not a super go fast rider nor do I race so as cool as it is prolly too much tire for me...never know tho
    Thanks
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    2 of 3 TBs just arrived for 3 S-Works swap. Goodbye Renegade & Fast Trak. Attachment 866376
    Hey Jay55 ~ May I ask were you got yout TBurt tires from?...Eversence I told my buddys about this tire they are all... "Burt! You have to get it! It's got your name on it" LOL
    And all the "traction" reviews for the tread seams good to go!
    Jay55 ~ Have you got them in the dirt yet? What's yer thoughts?
    Thanks
    Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey Jay55 ~ May I ask were you got yout TBurt tires from?...Eversence I told my buddys about this tire they are all... "Burt! You have to get it! It's got your name on it" LOL
    And all the "traction" reviews for the tread seams good to go!
    Jay55 ~ Have you got them in the dirt yet? What's yer thoughts?
    Thanks
    Burt
    This is where I bought my 29er SnakeSkin models, and they still list them as being in stock:

Schwalbe Thunder Burt 2014

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I wish they would have called it "Thunder Butt"

They could have blamed it on German to English translation. The publicity would have been great.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    LOL yeah I suppose Ha!
    Thanks for the link.
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Well Eric ~ Yer link provided the best to my door price I have come accross in the last few days so F-It got me a 29x2.1 SnakeSkin THUNDER BURT
    My current FastTrack 2.0 is getten shread wear on it..by the time the TB floats on the slow boat to me I'm sure that fasttrack will be even more bald!
    Tomorrow I am hitten local single track for more "tranning" lol
    Thanks Again!
    Damn Six pax I'm drinkin maxed out my CCard LOL Shhhh don't tell the WIFE !
    Love THis Sh**
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Some new test results give Burt a high rating. The race combo in the article, Rocket Ron front, Thunder Burt rear is what I'm going with too. Except it will be RR Evo 29x2.1 front, TB Snakeskin rear.

Detail - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires

I've done marathon races with the Nobby Nic front / Racing Ralph 2.25 rear as listed in the article as well and it's certainly stable and comfortable, if a little heavier.

mtbr member
    NIce! That link took me too a therm chart...I could not read the words but all the therm meters were on the positive side so looks like a great rear tire....few weeks it should arrive...first out of USA purchase..is that wierd..too many beers I'm trippin...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-1-thunder-burt-logo.jpg
    YYYYYYEEEeeeeeeeeHHHHhhhaaaaaaaaaa
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Thunder-Burt-logo.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	871405
    YYYYYYEEEeeeeeeeeHHHHhhhaaaaaaaaaa
    Nice burt, tiremaniacs got the best price.
    ________
    11' Giant Talon 1
    11' Giant Anthem X 29er
    11' Giant Trance X2
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    13' Epic S-Works XX1

mtbr member
    Awesome! Rode today..I Need more tire in the rear so I'm looking forward to rippin the THUNDER BURT ... LOL I love saying that out loud...ok ok I know...but if it was your name you would do the same chest pounding RaaaHaa THUNDER BURT LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Thunder Burt SnakeSkin 29x2.1 is on!
    Took a ride all the way from Germany to Cali.
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140303-00574.jpg
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140303-00571.jpg

Replacing Fasttrack 2.0 (offical spare now)

First impression...man thoes knobbys are small!
    Look towards the top of the two tire pic you can see the hight A bit better.
    Spun around the culdasac and well I need to hit some dirt to really tell!
    I pedealed as fast as I could trying to make it slip (without lifting the rear) and no slip..
    The tall knobbys on the side look like they hook well on cornering and that is when the Fasttrack would slip so..gotta hit that same trail and find out.
    Thanks again!
    Burt

Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140303-00572.jpg

Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140303-00570.jpg
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140305-00586.jpg
    Thunder Burt rolling tread contct patch, see the sides to.

Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140305-00594.jpg
    Purgatory on top
    TBurt below

Just goofing around on my evening ride today...
    Went up some short 6ft dirt climbs testing traction when I crank hard up the side of the canal bank...freakin TBurt sticks gooood..even semi wet dirt..when I did get it slip it tore into the gound and spit out the dirt!
    It's fast and light...time will tell
    Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140308-00598.jpg
    Schwalbe Thunder Burt-img-20140308-00600.jpg

First flat for TB...found two punctures and 4goatheads..rode down to the river exploring and such....
    JUst running tubes for now...but I just picked up a pair of 949 shrader tubless valves...so I think the smaller/thiner TB would be best tubeless....the Purgatory picked up one of them too....3 patches later I went back out for another 8 miles...awesome!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Oh. I want a thunder Burt 2.4.

mtbr member
    Yeah the 2.1 is visablly smaller that my front 2.3. I guess that is what makes it a "fast" tire...I'll run it until it's destroyed lol
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had a chance to try a couple of versions of this tyre. Very happy with the grip, but if you're thinking of Tubeless, don't bother with anything but the Snakeskin!

I initially bought the Raceguard version as it was the only tyre in stock at the time. Sealing it was an absolute pain in the arse! Took literally days and about 200ml of sealant.

I've had to change the rear tyre out to a Snakeskin version. This wasn't any fault of the tyre itself mind, but just the crappy Spex sealant that I had in there. The Spex separated and was not able to seal a pin hole puncture I got last Friday, but the inside of the tyre was a mess as there was a brown liquid plus a mess of super sticky residue that even made the tyre stick to itself!

Now, that gave me the chance to purchase a SnakeSkin TLR version of the tyre.

Wow! Compared to the "Raceguard" version, it was night and day. Tyre beads seated straight away with some soapy water, and then I deflated and added sealant through the valve. The Raceguard literally pissed sealant through the sidewalls, tread and everywhere else, but the SS version has done a little on some small spots on the bead, the nothing on the sidewall.

So, for anyone interested in the Thunder Burts and Tubeless, don't bother with anything but the Snake Skin version!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    I've had a chance to try a couple of versions of this tyre. Very happy with the grip, but if you're thinking of Tubeless, don't bother with anything but the Snakeskin!

I initially bought the Raceguard version as it was the only tyre in stock at the time. Sealing it was an absolute pain in the arse! Took literally days and about 200ml of sealant.

I've had to change the rear tyre out to a Snakeskin version. This wasn't any fault of the tyre itself mind, but just the crappy Spex sealant that I had in there. The Spex separated and was not able to seal a pin hole puncture I got last Friday, but the inside of the tyre was a mess as there was a brown liquid plus a mess of super sticky residue that even made the tyre stick to itself!

Now, that gave me the chance to purchase a SnakeSkin TLR version of the tyre.

Wow! Compared to the "Raceguard" version, it was night and day. Tyre beads seated straight away with some soapy water, and then I deflated and added sealant through the valve. The Raceguard literally pissed sealant through the sidewalls, tread and everywhere else, but the SS version has done a little on some small spots on the bead, the nothing on the sidewall.

So, for anyone interested in the Thunder Burts and Tubeless, don't bother with anything but the Snake Skin version!
    I'm running TB raceguards and they sealed up with Stans no problem. Was able to seat them quickly using a floor pump and they had only a few pinholes that sealed right up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I'm running TB raceguards and they sealed up with Stans no problem. Was able to seat them quickly using a floor pump and they had only a few pinholes that sealed right up.
    Ha! Very different to my experience then I do know that rims play a fairly big part to though, so perhaps yours made it easier.

I think also the sealant may have been an issue with the RG version. My rear tyre "totally sealed" about 4 times, only to have another pinhole appear. I think the Spex (Aussie brand) sealant wan't holding onto it's holes long term...

Still, the SS version hasn't had any leakage on the side wall, at all! my RG definitely were like a pin-board while sealing

mtbr member
    Update on my experiance with TBurtSnakeSkin still running tubes.....

Well... 3 flats, two pinch flats and one goathead invasion (4 of them) got a good 100+ miles on the tire now. I run around 35psi but after yesterdays rock impact resulting in snakebite pinch flat....I'm going to 45psi.

Traction on a scale from 1-5 is for me about 3. It hooks and slips...super steep with light loose dirt..forget it..slippin and walkin up. I'm no racer so could be just me as a recreational rider trying not to puke up a lung lol

Brakeing is sliding/skiping agin about 3 nothing super

Wear EWWWWWwww thoes little knobbys are getting jacked up, scraped away.

This tire will not make it to next season with my riding style. I will never buy it again.

I am excited to take my screwgun and screw this tire to the wall in my garage when I'm done tearing it up!!! Gonna make a great garage deco :-P

THUNDER BURT (monster truck voice) yeah right!! The name is the only "cool" thing about this tire.....

Anyway just my .02c
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    This tire is not an all rounder that is for sure. However, unlike the previous poster, I really like this tire.

This is definitely an XC tire for trails with minimal roots and rocks.

It performs very well in the damp and hardpack. If those are your type of trails and you need a lightweight tire, I can recommend it. If you are looking for traction in rocks and roots, look elsewhere.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have crossed 100 miles according to my Garmin with the TL Thunder Burt. No Flats. Running TL with Stan's. I use them on a wheelset for a trail that is hardpack and roots with not too many rock gardens and they are fast and light.

Just for another data point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    This tire is not an all rounder that is for sure. However, unlike the previous poster, I really like this tire.

This is definitely an XC tire for trails with minimal roots and rocks.

It performs very well in the damp and hardpack. If those are your type of trails and you need a lightweight tire, I can recommend it. If you are looking for traction in rocks and roots, look elsewhere.
    Please stop telling me about your quiver, it makes me feel unclean...

http://www.mistermcfeely.com
    <- My Blog

mtbr member
    Well I got rid of my tubes!! :-)

No more pinch flats for the Snakeskin Thunder Burt!!
    "feels" grippier too...time will tell I guess. Still need to hit some single track to test...

Stans did a goodjob filling the punchtures/holes left behind from whatever stabbed the tire to begin with, prolly Goatheads!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have a few rides in with the TB on the rear (26x2.1"). I would not run it in the front, the risk of a washout is too great IMO. I can't put into words how fast the tire is, and how ridiculously light! The tire is SOOOOOO Supple too, the ride is exceptional.

Mine took 3 days to seal up tubeless. The sidewalls were just weeping Stan's, the first round of air only lasted 10 minutes! 3 days of the sealant dance and they are good.

I typically have one "spin" per ride. Either in slippery mud on a climb/descent, or on a steep climb/descent on smooth rock.

With more miles I'll be able to prevent that (sprint going into the slippery spot, etc), but I'm not used to this tire yet, so still make the same mistake.

On dry trails this thing is incredible. It would be a nightmare on moss or roots, even worse if there is water around. YMMV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast