mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Schwalbe size versus Spec?

I recently replaced my rear Spec 26er The Captain Control 2.0 with a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 (mostly because it was the only size for this tire that my LBS had in stock and I didn't feel like waiting or shopping around at the time). After installing the new tire it looks narrower than the Spec 2.0 despite being 2.1, so just curious if I should be looking for 2.2 in the Schwalbe Rocket Ron instead of 2.1 to better proxy the Spec 2.0 it's replacing? Rain since installation has kept me from trying the new tire yet, but wondering if I accidentally went down a size instead of kept par with the contact patch I'm used to (the Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 is definitely not a bigger footprint tire than the Spec The Captain Control 2.0).

Appreciate any feedback.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    I recently replaced my rear Spec 26er The Captain Control 2.0 with a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 (mostly because it was the only size for this tire that my LBS had in stock and I didn't feel like waiting or shopping around at the time). After installing the new tire it looks narrower than the Spec 2.0 despite being 2.1, so just curious if I should be looking for 2.2 in the Schwalbe Rocket Ron instead of 2.1 to better proxy the Spec 2.0 it's replacing? Rain since installation has kept me from trying the new tire yet, but wondering if I accidentally went down a size instead of kept par with the contact patch I'm used to (the Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 is definitely not a bigger footprint tire than the Spec The Captain Control 2.0).

Appreciate any feedback.
    Yes, the 2.0 Specialized tires are generally "big".

The 2.25 Schwalbes will be slightly higher volume than the 2.0 Spec, though.

Contact patch size is inflation pressure dependent, not casing volume dependent.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The 2.25 RoRo would probably be closer in size to your spec. Since you already got it mounted you might as well ride it and see if you like it. I bought mine in a similiar situation, it was the only one in stock. Its actually my new favorite front tire for fast paced xc/trail riding. Ive got the 2.25 version and its a smaller tire then other schwalbe 2.25's, but i did notice it stretched out a bit after a few rides...still not as large as the 2.25 racing ralph i paired it with originally.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Rocket Ron's definitely run smaller than other Schwalbe tires which are pretty close to their stated size.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I noticed the same thing with Conti tires. They run way smaller than specialized for 2.2. I prefer specialized over other brands due to their durability, large casings, great grip, and super easy to mount tubeless. Plus they got a 90 day guarantee/return policy.