mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Schwalbe RR Snakeskin or not?

For Cannondale Scalpel 29'er. Riding in New England. Torn between the two. Tempted to think better safe than sorry and go with snakeskin since reviews on this site mention fragile sidewalls on non-snakeskin. But they are a racing tire after all and how else to keep the weight down. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    If you are running tubeless i would go with snakeskin, especially on the back. The new 2012 RR sidewalls are really thin.
    Just pedal, brake, steer, smile.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyh3 View Post
    For Cannondale Scalpel 29'er. Riding in New England. Torn between the two. Tempted to think better safe than sorry and go with snakeskin since reviews on this site mention fragile sidewalls on non-snakeskin. But they are a racing tire after all and how else to keep the weight down. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    I see no reason not to use the Snake Skin version.
    They are tougher and more stable in corners. Because of the normal variation in tire weights I have SS tires that are lighter than the same size/tread non-SS versions.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Agreed, no reason not to go snake skins. Yes you may pay a bit of a weight penalty, but that penalty well may be the difference between a good race and a DNF due to a torn sidewall on a rocky course. Your call of course, but a few extra grams for the added security and durability is worth it IMHO.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Snake skin or double defense fo sho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Snakeskin for sure OR you may try the Performance series which has a thicker and more cut-resistent casing
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

Bro Mountainbiker
    The snakeskin feels much more resillient to tears. (hand feel) havent installed either.

Rear is 2.25 SS and front is 2.4 evo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    They are tougher and more stable in corners.
    Totally agree!

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I see no reason not to use the Snake Skin version.
    They are tougher and more stable in corners. Because of the normal variation in tire weights I have SS tires that are lighter than the same size/tread non-SS versions.
    Yeah, agree... SS is the better choice though if you are a weight weenie you might be grumbly...

I just got a 2012 SS 2.25 Racing Ralph warranty replacement (advertised weight 605g). My 2009 (or older EVO's; one is a 2.4 F on the same ride with a 2011 SS rear) have less tire wear on them than the three 2011 SS'es I've been running for ~9 months. The new tires feel stiffer to me but haven't noticed increased cornering stability.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】