mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here. Schwalbe Racing Ralph vs. Continental X-King?

I'm about to replace my RaRa, but my no one in town carries Schwalbe. My LBS recommended Conti X-King. I love the low rolling resistance and speed from the RaRa's. I was wondering if the X-Kings will be as fast. Anyone have experience with both? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Very close and wear better.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Schwalbe Racing Ralph vs. Continental X-King?

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Very close and wear better.
    But pinch flat easily and not as supple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Re: Schwalbe Racing Ralph vs. Continental X-King?

Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    But pinch flat easily and not as supple.

Don: are you saying the Contis pinch flat easily and not as supple as the RaRa's?

mtbr member
    I would agree, when I was running tunes they would punch flat easier and I would have to run higher pressure. But then I went tubeless on stans rims and they are amazing, I gave been running rara's for the last year and I have decided to go back to conti's I find they stick better to the wet.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would say X-King is more of a Rocket Ron rang, just much much worse (rolls slower then Rocket Ron and has A LOT less grip then Rocket Ron). Conti's "substitution" for Racing Ralph would be Race King, which actually rolls faster then Racing Ralph, but it has a bit less grip too. So there's not really exactly same tire in Conti line as Racing Ralph is.
    I was on Conti last year (before I was long time on Schwalbe with first Racing Ralph from/rear, then Racing Ralph rear, Rocket Ron front, and this year I'm back on Schwalbe with Rocket Ron/Thunder Burt combo), and Race King was great tire for rear (I changed it with Schwalbe's Thunder Burt this year), but I really hated X-King. It's relatively slow (much slower then Rocket Ron, and even more then Racing Ralph), and on gravel it has basically zero grip compared to Rocket Ron (it would probably be somewhere in range of Racing Ralph for gravel, but I has been too long since my last ride with RaRa on front to be objective).
    So my suggestion, get Schwalbe from some online store, as it's much better choice. Only good thing with Conti is, they seems to last longer then Schwalbe.
    PS: This what I wrote goes for Conti Race King and X-King Protection version, so it might be different with RaceSport version or non-black chilli tires.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post
    Don: are you saying the Contis pinch flat easily and not as supple as the RaRa's?
    Yes, the Protection versions. MKII x 2, RK x 1, XK x 2. I like the tread designs although i think the RoRo does better in wet conditions although neither is stellar.

change is good
    Sep 2004

PS - most around here run Contis without issue, but others had issues with flatting and sealant oozing. I've read posts regarding case warping and losing knobs although the last issue seems to have been corrected.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    About the pinch flat issue: Schwalbe 2.25 is much larger than Speed King 2.2, so obviously the Schwalbe will pinch flat less (same pressure).
    But the Conti 2.4s are only a bit larger than Schwalbe 2.25 and don't pinch any easier.

Light Conti tires are notoriously tricky to set up tubeless, so that is something to keep in mind.

Around here, Schwalbe tires are known for ripping knobs and wearing fast. Less issues with Contis. However, both are using relatively soft tacky rubber which can disintegrate if pushed hard on sharp rocks.