mtbr member

Schwalbe Performance line 2013 vs 2012 (Nobby Nic)

In 2013 the performance compound is supposed to have major improvement over 2012. It used to be single compound, now its dual.

Does anyone have real world experience with both years? What about comparing with Evo compounds?
    Any other notable improvement other than the rubber?

I love the Nobby Nic Evo, I just wish it was more durable. The black chili continentals last much longer.

Tire Geek O_o
    Not really, I havent read anything about the performance being now a different compound. Do you have any link to get a look at it?

I have experience with all Schwalbe compounds and the Performance just last and last and last and last, as long a you dont ride in wet weather or very rocky places.. since they are very hard and with thin walls...

Which compound are your nobby nics?
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

mtbr member
    Here:
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 650B Review | Mountain Bike Review
    Performance Line. Excellent quality for intensive use. Best deal for your money. Now with dual compound for even better performance.
    I got Evo gatestar, which has the soft downhill compound on the side knobs. Probably the least durable of them all. After 2 rides the side knobs started to tear at the base. I love the tire, but I think 100-200 miles max and the tire will be toast.
    Last edited by CrozCountry; 03-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I'm not sure if it's the compound. I've got a 2.35 x 29 Nobby Nic EVO Snakeskin Pacestar that is about 7 months old. When it was 2 months old, I took it on a long, rocky trail ride (Lake Georgetown in TX). All of the outer knobs got pretty torn at the base. I thought it was toast, but it's still holding up pretty well. A lot of the knobs look to be 1/2 broken off, but it still seems to work fine. It's a great performing tire, but like you said I wish it were a bit more durable.

My Hans Dampf seems impervious to everything and looks almost new even though it's older than the Nic. It's on the front though, so not a fair comparison. I may end up just getting another HD when the Nic dies and run them front and back.

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the compound. I've got a 2.35 x 29 Nobby Nic EVO Snakeskin Pacestar that is about 7 months old. When it was 2 months old, I took it on a long, rocky trail ride (Lake Georgetown in TX). All of the outer knobs got pretty torn at the base. I thought it was toast, but it's still holding up pretty well. A lot of the knobs look to be 1/2 broken off, but it still seems to work fine. It's a great performing tire, but like you said I wish it were a bit more durable.

My Hans Dampf seems impervious to everything and looks almost new even though it's older than the Nic. It's on the front though, so not a fair comparison. I may end up just getting another HD when the Nic dies and run them front and back.
    I agree with you, since the new compounds Schwalbe tires do grip much better than previous ones, but after a couple of rides they seem they are falling apart and almost disintegrating, still they last longer than what you might expect after seeing such degradation, and somehow they hold on, although it is annoying watching this severely premature wearing after paying a premium price.

O have noticed also tht my Hans Dampf isnt wearing as bad as any other models.
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

beater

Schwalbe Performance line 2013 vs 2012 (Nobby Nic)

Really? I'm surprised to read of your experience with the Hans Dampf, and that you'd rate it a long-wearing tire. I and a number of friends ran them last year, and while we are uniformly pleased with their trail performance, we're also uniformly tired of them wearing out so quickly. The way the side knobs get undercut means they're susceptible to being torn off before they're worn down. I wish Schwalbe would address that, because I love these tires otherwise.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Any word on the new Performance tires?

If you guys want more durability the conti black chilis are the ticket. I have mountain king on the back and it has almost no wear with many more miles than the NN. But I like the nobby nick better, less gap between the center knobs and the side knobs. My favorite tire to date.

I want to replace the MK with another nobby nick, but that MK refuses to wear. With the Protection version I also put a couple of dents in the rim and did not pinch flat. Nice.
    Great bang for the $$.

mtbr member
    Bump, need a Rocket Ron this time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've been running NO Ni 2.35 performance 27.5 and 2.25 29er. Night and day better than the Evo in No Ni due to the stiffer edges on the Performance. They remind me of pre trail star Evo's with dual compound and gey bead strip. I also have the Performance Ra Ra but only usin on the raer so not much to compare. if you after better wear than The performance Ro Ro would be better but i have my suspicion the ro Ro evo would have better cornering traction. That Tread pattern looks like it relies on the softer compound. Perfprmance would ahve been good on the old Ro Ro tread.
    I've alos found the peformance arnge is slightly samller than the evo in The No Ni and Ra Ra.

Overall i'd give the new performance a big thumbs up for value for atop quality tire. not TLR but what did we do before TLR. Proabaly suit stans BST rims better anyway.

Give them a go.