Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member

Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Been riding Weirwolf 2.3 UST (Nomad Carbon) and Muddy Mary UST (Firebird) for the past year. Muddy Mary is better for the mud we have here while the Weirwolf is a little better for dry conditions.

So for 2011 I decided to wait and try the Hans Dampf. It sounds like how I would design a tire. It's supposed to be good in the wet, in the dry, and everything inbetween. Sort of like a Muddy Mary with a little lower profile tread and more knobs in the transition area where the MM only had them something like every other or every 1/4th spot.

So I started with 35psi, some climbing and some fun/serious AM or nearly DH trails. (I'll post a vid below of the trail). I like to start a tire out at 35 because: I'm 230lbs, I ride a bike pretty hard, and some tires can handle less and some need more before folding over for my riding style. Yeah, some tires will just blow off the rim with less for my trails/riding style/weight.

Anyhoo, awesome tire. It has less rolling resistance than the Weirwolf or the Muddy Mary has. More cornering traction, and just feels consistent. The sidewalls are firm and I'm going to drop the psi to 32 or so when I ride next (probably tomorrow) and I would guess it'll be even better....

Here is the trail:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/21185832" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/21185832">SST not from the very top</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2619169">Clayton Petree</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe Hans Dampf-hdtirea.jpg  

Schwalbe Hans Dampf-hdtireb.jpg  

Last edited by gticlay; 03-26-2011 at 04:49 AM.
    "It looks flexy"

Clay,

Can you compare the Damf to the Nobby Nic 2.4's or the Fat Albert 2.4's?

I like both the NN and the FA's, but I'm curious where you would position the Damf in the Schwalbe line assortment.

Cheers.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porchsong
    Clay,

Can you compare the Damf to the Nobby Nic 2.4's or the Fat Albert 2.4's?

I like both the NN and the FA's, but I'm curious where you would position the Damf in the Schwalbe line assortment.

Cheers.

Porch
    Sorry, I haven't ridden either tire.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Another review here it is of any help. 2.3 is similar weight to 2.4 FA.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf

ok, thanks.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Clay,
    Are you running them tubeless? Can you share where you got them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike
    Clay,
    Are you running them tubeless? Can you share where you got them?
    Yes, tubeless. They have them just call and order direct. I don't like to wait for things....

The sidewalls on these things are great. I've ridden "for tubless but not UST" tires in the past from Specialized and another company and hated them because they rode squirmy no matter the pressure and ended up running them tubed. These feel no different to me than UST sidewalls. Maybe it's because the volume on these is quite high. Maybe they aren't, but they LOOK bigger than my muddy mary tires... almost as big as my WTB Prowler 2.5's.

I might go ride them for a quickie tonight with lower pressure. At 35 psi they grip extremely well but I feel there's more in 'em without getting a squirmy sloppy feel or denting my rims.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Any idea what the actual weight is?

mtbr member
    Just got back from another ride. I set them at 32psi this time (I'm 230 with gear). They really are a too-good-to-be-true tire so far. The sidewalls still feel super consistent and so does the traction. So far, my favorite tire ever.

To answer jimarin:
    Tire A : 784g
    Tire B : 791g
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Question, were did you mount your helmet cam for this FOV. Looks good i have a contour hd and been experimenting trying to find similiar to what your view is. Thanks ahead of time, also im stationed in germany picking up some mavic crossmax st wheelset tommorrow and hopefully these tires to.

Thanks

Jonesy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175
    Question, were did you mount your helmet cam for this FOV. Looks good i have a contour hd and been experimenting trying to find similiar to what your view is. Thanks ahead of time, also im stationed in germany picking up some mavic crossmax st wheelset tommorrow and hopefully these tires to.

Thanks

Jonesy
    Hey Jonesy,

I have a GoPro chesty mount. So the camera is sitting on my beer gut while I ride

I'm not sure you can mount a contour that way just because of it's shape, but maybe? I'd love to try those wheels as well but $$$$$$
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Just got back from another ride. I set them at 32psi this time (I'm 230 with gear). They really are a too-good-to-be-true tire so far. The sidewalls still feel super consistent and so does the traction. So far, my favorite tire ever.

To answer jimarin:
    Tire A : 784g
    Tire B : 791g
    Hi,
    What rims do you have these on?
    I just ordered some Flow rims and thought I'd try something besides a Nevegal tire..
    I've been running standard 2.35 Nevegals (710 grams!) ghetto tubeless w/ no problems. Been looking for a tire w/ a tougher sidewall ... this might be it.

Can you compare the rolling resistance w/ the Nevegal?

thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    client, I'd say they roll a bazillion times faster than the Nevegal... but most tires do XT wheelset.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hans Damf vs 2.4 NN

Is the extra 100 grams worth it for the Hans? Any ideas of the size difference? Going to get one of these as a front with a 2.25 NN on rear.

mtbr member
    Well, rode them on my Nomad Carbon 1x10 today in super duper Pacific NW downpour weather. The kind where trails are mini streams. The lower knob height than the Muddy Mary means they don't quite dig in enough and spin a little bit here and there. Actually still pretty darn good in the rain/mud but if you are going to be riding them in mud all winter, the Muddy Mary would definately be better. Way better than a Nevegal 2.35, Mountain King 2.4, or Weirwolf 2.3 tire though.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

Upset Out of stock

The only place I can find these in stock is directly from Schwalbe.

They are listed for much less money on a couple of online dealers (but not in stock)

Anyone know where to buy these for ~$70 ...... not $90 !

thanks.

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008

Can't... resist... urge... to... buy...

Damn it, Clayton! I've been wanting to try these tires out and your review has pushed me over the edge. I'm currently running a Mountain King 2.4 front (protection version set up tubeless) and a Nevegal 2.1 UST rear, so hopefully these will hook up and roll even better.
    Out of curiosity, what do you run for a rear tire?

Client_9, I'm going to order mine from bikebling.com. I've ordered from them before, and although they're one of the online bike shops with nothing in stock, I usually get my orders within a week. Totally worth it, especially when you use the "realdeal" coupon code for an additional 10% off...

Cheers,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyvoxel
    Damn it, Clayton! I've been wanting to try these tires out and your review has pushed me over the edge. I'm currently running a Mountain King 2.4 front (protection version set up tubeless) and a Nevegal 2.1 UST rear, so hopefully these will hook up and roll even better.

Client_9, I'm going to order mine from bikebling.com. I've ordered from them before, and although they're one of the online bike shops with nothing in stock, I usually get my orders within a week. Totally worth it, especially when you use the "realdeal" coupon code for an additional 10% off...

Cheers,
    Michael
    Yeah, bikebling is good. stimulus also works for a discount.

I'm running the HD ft and rr.
    "It looks flexy"

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyvoxel

Cheers,
    Michael
    i ordered some pads and gloves from them and it took like a week and half for them to process and ship the order? not a knock on them but i was kinda surprised because they have a rep of shipping stuff fast.

anyway clay, hd front and rear? how do you like it on the back?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got a pair of hans dampfs today. About the easiest tires I've ever set up tubeless - put them on some flow wheels. I didn't even spin it to distribute the sealant. Put the tire on, dumped sealant in, aired up. Could have mounted these with a floor pump I'll bet.

The tires weighed in at 783 and 785 grams.

I haven't ridden them on a trail yet but they have a burly feel to the sidewall and big knobs. Smaller casing than the fat alberts or the nobby nics. Next stop, moab.

Still rockin' those bibs!
    Sep 2004

Just got mine...

...and I'm pretty excited! How can they feel so burly and weigh so little? And they seem to have the perfect knob height and distribution. This is the tire I've been waiting for all these years.

And I got them at bikebling.com. They told me when I ordered them that they are selling out before they even arrive. Hmmm, maybe I should hoard them.
    Like half of everything I ride comes out of Jenson. Figure that out.

mtbr member
    The cornering is absolutely amazing. It has to be the slow rebound rubber - they just seem to grip every last little pebble, yet roll very fast. The only bad thing about them is that when it's really greasy from mud they slide around a bit. But hey, these are my summer tires.

Also, I've found that 32psi is the sweet spot for me between traction and compliance. When I go down around 30psi they start to wallow a little and fold over in the corner, when I go above they just feel a little over inflated and deflect off of things a little more.

The new Weirwolfs had the floppiest sidewalls I've ever ridden tubeless. First I tried the TCS version and had to run 40 psi but the sidewalls still felt funky. Then I went with the UST and found them to be good around 36-38 psi. Any less and they wanted to fold over and wallow.

I know some of you guys run really low pressure in the 20's but I'm around 225lbs without gear. I can't imagine going much lower unless a tire had a DH casing.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

ride report

Believe the hype! These tires grip on everything.

I'm 210lbs on a Nomad .... aggressively riding lots of rocks and roots.

Don't be afraid to run these at lower pressures ... that's when they really perform.

I have mine on Stan's Flow rims @ 28 psi rear tire / 26 psi front.

mtbr member
    Rode about 40 miles past week mostly on dry conditions I also run them on a Stan's Flow @ about 28psi and they feel very solid the grip is superb and the light weight is a big +.
    time will tell if they are THE tire to have but so far they are better then my Minion's and Nevegal's I guess I will have to wait for the winter to see if they are really the "Jack of all Trades"
    Happy Trails.

mtbr member
    These sound awesome, its funny its a german tire and thier not released yet here in germany bummer. Well moving back to states in june july time frame so ill pick them up then. Im very impressed with schwalbe tires, im running nobby nic ust front and back on the mavic crossmax st wheelset perfect for were im at in germany they roll fast and grip great to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brand new Hans Dampf after 3 days in moab. Yikes! Looks like these aren't ideal rear tires for the desert.

Good news is the front is still looking like a new tire. Grip is good. They do roll slower than the fat alberts that were on there before, but then those were about worn out and there wasn't much tread left on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe Hans Dampf-img_0824_small.jpg  

Sep 2004
    Dude, that's slickrock for you. Anytime I head out there, forst thing I do is find an old worn-out tire and stick it on the back. Anything else is just pissing money away.

mtbr member
    Yep. I haven't ridden in Moab for over a decade but it seems like any thing out back would be OK. Looks like you have a great tire for next time you go now
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Any more updates, gentlemen?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    Brand new Hans Dampf after 3 days in moab. Yikes! Looks like these aren't ideal rear tires for the desert.

Good news is the front is still looking like a new tire. Grip is good. They do roll slower than the fat alberts that were on there before, but then those were about worn out and there wasn't much tread left on them.
    Wonder if the hot combo will be the front specific Fat Albert with a Hans Dampf for the rear? Or will the HD corner better than the FA front?

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not too many available, tried ordering today and Canadian distributor is out, must not have got many in first order.

Bike Bling to the rescue, and for a great price. They still have a bunch left so get on it quick!

Sep 2004

It was a dark and stormy night...

...and the local crew was assembled for the regular weekly night ride. It had rained and snowed all day, and the prospect of riding looked grim. A few of us were actually starting to make excuses not to ride, and besides, we had beer, so really we didn't absolutely HAVE to ride, but the decision was made. We went out and made the best of it.

Riding my trusty El Guapo, I had the new Hans Dampf mounted out front with a Michelin DH24AT rear, both mounted tubeless with Stans. In an area known for slippery rocks, these tires stuck like glue. Everytime I came too fast into a corner, I just laid it down and it was like being on a rail. FAR superior to the Minions and the Nevegals that I've been riding the past couple of years, and light enough to throw up front on my Carbon X.

Believe the hype!

sinner
    Jan 2007
    Yup the Trailstar compound is awesome. In Maine we have tons of roots and rocks all over the trails and these tires grip on them so well when they are slick. So worth the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9
    Believe the hype! These tires grip on everything.

Ditto. These tires roll well, and after a damp, fast ride today it was easy to see how great these tires really are. I upgraded from a 2.4 Ardent on the front, and a 2.35 sticky Nev. on the rear. The sticky Nevegal never really did loose traction climbing anywhere, but it didn't roll worth a damn, so I can sacrifice the occasional half-pedal stroke spin every now and again. Something that I did notice today was how much farther I can lean the bike over through long, non-banked turns, and I think that the transition knobs have a lot to do with that.

The Ardent is a very good tire, especially on the front, and although I liked the grip, the Hans Dampf seems to be more consistent. It's the Schwalbe 'Cats Meow' for me right now! Great tire!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i am so sad, that the hans dampf isnīt available here in germany...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by henryhb
    i am so sad, that the hans dampf isnīt available here in germany...
    with enough $$$, anything is possible...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible

It looks to me like you have your rear over inflated or don't lean much. My side knobs always have a bunch of wear even at 32 to 38 psi. Just curious what you run.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It looks to me like you have your rear over inflated or don't lean much. My side knobs always have a bunch of wear even at 32 to 38 psi. Just curious what you run.
    I think I'm buying into the 'slickrock destroys tires' theory. I don't know how that information escaped me so far in my trips out to moab, but in hindsight it does make sense. In the past I've either had worn tires to begin with or I have noticed a lot of wear but thought that was just how the tire was. Sucks to shred a new tire to that extent in 3 days. The front still looks new at least.

Anyway I was running 25 lbs in both front and rear on that trip, and yeah I'm sure I spent more time upright than leaned since I ended up doing some long dirt road sections to get to the goods. There was also a lot of slickrock climbing, on amasa and gold bar rim and etc.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    That looks like locking out rear when braking. Center knob front lip teared off.

Yeah, slickrock and tall knobs are not the best mix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    That looks like locking out rear when braking. Center knob front lip teared off.

Yeah, slickrock and tall knobs are not the best mix.
    What is good there these days, small block 8? Hans Dampf aren't all that tall a knob, BTW.
    "It looks flexy"

Axe
    Custom User Title
    What is good there these days, small block 8? Hans Dampf aren't all that tall a knob, BTW.
    Whatever is cheap and on sale, I would guess. It all hooks up well enough. I just commented on how the damage looks like.

I usually rent there, so I did not care.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    mounted mine up tonight. tubeless on havens. went on without a hitch. (and im a tubeless newb)

weights: 795, 815 (ouch). sidewall is significanly tougher and thicker than nevegals compared side byside.
    width measured with digital caliper: 2.35 at the sidewall, 2.4x at the knobs. pretty much the same width as a 2.35 nevegal maybe just a teeny hair smaller. took pics to compare if anyone wants to see. this is not a small tire, not sure why anyone would complain about the width unless you are looking for a DH tire.

should get them out in the mountains next week to really give them a workout.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

Perpetual Hack
    Received mine today as well. ( Thanks Chad!! )
    Not yet mounted, but did weight them.
    765 for one and 780 for the other.

I am replacing some Conti MK Prot 2.4. I keep ending up on the ground with them, so have been running a BB on rear and a MM up front for trail rides. Makes you strong like Bull. ( or hack up a lung at the top of a climb - not too sure on which is actual reality - maybe dumb like Bull? )

Anyway looking forward to getting them mounted and tried out - now only in the weather would co-operate. No more rain - please!!!

michael

I'm with stupid
    any side by side comparisons with the muddy mary 2.35 or fat albert 2.4 in the trail star compound?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    good news for europe:
    hans dampf will be announced on the eurobike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    786 and 820g for the pair I received today. Can't wait to get on them, too bad it'll be a while with all the wet/snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycra Matt View Post
    Dude, that's slickrock for you. Anytime I head out there, forst thing I do is find an old worn-out tire and stick it on the back. Anything else is just pissing money away.
    Yep. Once I destroyed a brand new set of 3C Ardents at Gooseberry and Moab in I week. The rear was almost totally bald by time I got home.

Anymore updates on the availability and performance of the Hans Dampf.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    dirty bike, clean tires

The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Anyone gone from wicked will's to these tires? Looking to drop a bit of weight and it's going to be either these or 2.3 NN for the next tire.

Ride in WV in the red clay and dead leaves here.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Anyone gone from wicked will's to these tires? Looking to drop a bit of weight and it's going to be either these or 2.3 NN for the next tire.

Not me but send me your wicked wills and I'll wear them down to the nub....
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

I'm looking for a kevlar bead WW so let me know if you wanna sell if in good shape.

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

ebnash
    Running Hans Dampf with tubes ar around 30-32 with no side wall issues, but the center and intermediate tread blocks on both front and rear are already tearing after about 40 miles of varied offroad riding. Hardpack, loose dirt, muddy, mossy roots. They hook up awesome on every terrain, but they are not going to last long for a $200 pair of tires...

mtbr member
    Are wicked wills that hard to get right now or something?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    I think I'm buying into the 'slickrock destroys tires' theory. I don't know how that information escaped me so far in my trips out to moab, but in hindsight it does make sense. In the past I've either had worn tires to begin with or I have noticed a lot of wear but thought that was just how the tire was. Sucks to shred a new tire to that extent in 3 days. The front still looks new at least.

Anyway I was running 25 lbs in both front and rear on that trip, and yeah I'm sure I spent more time upright than leaned since I ended up doing some long dirt road sections to get to the goods. There was also a lot of slickrock climbing, on amasa and gold bar rim and etc.
    Moab, like the lower desert of AZ and Bootleg, NV, eats racing compound type tires, as well as wide open spaced tires that are good in soft dirt, Loam, sand or crust over dust/kitty litter.

3 days there roasted the rear Rampage on my WFO too. You just can't feather the rear brake enough on all that slickrock. I think you are better off with a good tire with hard compound and a really tight tread block pattern for Moab, with the knobs not standing too proud... think like a trials tire on a motorcycle.

The tire that I liked the best for that type of riding was the Schwalbe Big Betty. More knobs, works well on slickrock as well as granite too.

Perpetual Hack
    Are wicked wills that hard to get right now or something?

Yup, been trying to get a WW Trailstar Kevlar from Chad at Redbarn for a few weeks. Schwalbe themselves are out as are the distro from what I gather.

michael

Oh, So Interesting!
    I tried them out on a friend Knolly Delerium, I have an '09 Trek Remedy with Trail Kings, black chili rubber, 2.4 front, 2.2 rear.

Terrain was hardpack, rock, loose over hardpack, some coarse pebbles that make for tricky cornering in some places.

I feel like the HDs corner slightly better than the TKs, they were very confidence inspiring. The TKs roll way faster, especially noticeable when climbing... HDs accelerated ok when up to speed going downhill but climbing took noticeably more effort vs. the TKs. I'm not sure about wear, but it looks like the HDs are not going to be an especially long lasting tire, and I wouldn't be surprised if the TKs last 2-3 times as long. I would use HD as a front tire but NOT as a rear tire due to the slow rolling and fast wear. I didn't test the HDs in mud, but the TKs are actually very good in mud and snow, the side knobs have some bite and the tread does a good job clearing mud.

mtbr member

Schwalbe Quality Control?

Decided try a pair of HD's after reading some review. Arrived just before I left for So. Utah over the weekend. Went to put them on and the first one had a sidewall defect. A section of exposed copper-colored sidewall material under the rubber. Exposed area runs the width of the sidewall and about 1-2 mm wide. Not a tear the rubber just sort of fades out around the exposed part.

Kinda strange, hope it's a freak and not a reflection on Schwalbe quality control. Not what I expected for a $80 tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe Hans Dampf-small-hans-1.jpg  

Schwalbe Hans Dampf-small-hans-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by castnblastut View Post
    Decided try a pair of HD's after reading some review. Arrived just before I left for So. Utah over the weekend. Went to put them on and the first one had a sidewall defect. A section of exposed copper-colored sidewall material under the rubber. Exposed area runs the width of the sidewall and about 1-2 mm wide. Not a tear the rubber just sort of fades out around the exposed part.

Kinda strange, hope it's a freak and not a reflection on Schwalbe quality control. Not what I expected for a $80 tire.
    Just return them...What tire is mounted on youe bike,is it a kenda,if so what model and do you like the tire....

Axe
    Custom User Title

Looks unusual. All Schwalbe tires I have used - many - had been just fine. They should replace it.

mtbr member
    AMCAT, yeah it's getting returned, availablility on a replacement sounds like it might be an issue when I spoke with coloradocyclist.

Currently running Conti Mtn. Kings 2.2 rear, 2.4 front. Its a combo I seem to keep coming back to around home, esp. if you like a round profile. Not the greatest desert / slickrock tire, grips good but slickrock eats the rear up fast. But it is what I had on hand cuz of the HD defect issue. I've been looking for that happy medium for the desert stuff of a tire that can track through the sandy sections and perform on slickrock, dust over hard, etc. I like my fantasy land. Conti Trail King (Rubber Queens) seem popular around So. Utah along with others mentioned, the search is kinda fun but turning in to an expensive hobby.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I've been looking for that happy medium for the desert stuff of a tire that can track through the sandy sections and perform on slickrock, dust over hard, etc.
    FWIW.. among Schwalbe tires, Big Betty seems like the most universal big tire. Run it in the rear on my "AM" bike.. Muddy Mary front. For 2.2" category my current favorite is Trail King, and for XC - Racing Ralph SS rear, Rocket Ron front.

mtbr member

My mistake

AMCAT - Looked back at the pic in my post and realized that my wife's Gary Fisher is under the tire, not my bike. That tire is indead a Kenda Karma. They are new for her this year and her priority was a fast rolling XC type that was very predictable. She likes em so far, good sidewalls. More of a smooth XC rider. She commented on the improved grip in desert conditions over the Mythos I took off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    AMCAT - Looked back at the pic in my post and realized that my wife's Gary Fisher is under the tire, not my bike. That tire is indead a Kenda Karma. They are new for her this year and her priority was a fast rolling XC type that was very predictable. She likes em so far, good sidewalls. More of a smooth XC rider. She commented on the improved grip in desert conditions over the Mythos I took off.
    Cool,thx....

mtbr member
    Are they still having problems staying "in stock" with these? I ordered mine from Bike Bling a week ago and received the order confirmation email but no email confirming shipment or notification of being on back order or anything.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got a chance to ride the hans dampf at buff creek - there's a ton of sandy turns up there. What an awesome tire! Tons of grip on the loose, a big contrast to last time I was there, running some worn out fat alberts.

mtbr member

Update on defective HD

I wish I could post one of those "the manufacturer took care of me and the product is great!" stories but alas...phone call to Schwalbe followed by email with pics (per thier request) and no response almost a week later.

Retailer also has no stock and no estimate when. My rear tire is almost done sooo...I'll bug Schwalbe again or just order up some good ol' Conti's.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Are they still having problems staying "in stock" with these? I ordered mine from Bike Bling a week ago and received the order confirmation email but no email confirming shipment or notification of being on back order or anything.
    Not sure that is a problem so much with anyone BUT bike-bling...seems to be the m.o. there.

mtbr member
    I wish I could post one of those "the manufacturer took care of me and the product is great!" stories but alas...phone call to Schwalbe followed by email with pics (per thier request) and no response almost a week later.

Retailer also has no stock and no estimate when. My rear tire is almost done sooo...I'll bug Schwalbe again or just order up some good ol' Conti's.
    From your pictures it looks like a foreign object got into the mold as the green tire was being cured. This pressed rubber out from that spot in the sidewall. Regarding the tire's integrity, it's absolutely fine to ride. If you're running it tubeless, it may weep a little more sealant from that area (or it may not).
    Last edited by bholwell; 06-06-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    I spoke to them last week. They said they get shipments every other week and those immediatley go to fill their backorders. I ordered mone about 3 weeks ago and they said mins should be in the next batch they get in. Figure if you order these from bikebling expect at least a 3 week wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That is why you CALL them to see if they have them in stock. They do seem to get large shipments of them fairly regularly and they are selling them by far the cheapest of anyone so yo need to jump on them quickly.

Lets face it, these are hard to find anywhere, latest thing I heard was the Canadian distributor has yet to receive ANY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    From your pictures it looks like a foreign object got into the mold as the green tire was being cured. This pressed rubber out from that spot in the sidewall. Regarding the tire's integrity, it's absolutely fine to ride. If you're running it tubeless, it may weep a little more sealant from that area (or it may not).
    I believe you are probably right, the inside casing looks o.k. but then again for a tire going for $75+ is rubber all the way around to much to ask? I know I can get a TrailKing or Advantage with complete sidewalls for less money.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I believe you are probably right, the inside casing looks o.k. but then again for a tire going for $75+ is rubber all the way around to much to ask? I know I can get a TrailKing or Advantage with complete sidewalls for less money.
    I've got a BNIB Trail King 2.4 Kevlar Black Chili, PM me to trade...

mtbr member
    character0 - thx for the offer, I'll let u know but damn that 2.4 TK is HUGE! looked bigger than my 2.5 Minion, Conti uses interesting measuring tapes somethimes.

Emailed a different dept. at Schwalbe and that seemed to get the ball rollin' BTW for those waiting Schawlbe U.S. told me they are getting HD's 6/10.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I have a Fat Albert that came back looking the same way from a few days in Moab/GJ.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ordered a couple from bike bling myself 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Wonder if the hot combo will be the front specific Fat Albert with a Hans Dampf for the rear? Or will the HD corner better than the FA front?

Have FUN!

G
    Ditch the Fat alberts and go for a Big Betty in front!

Tire Geek O_o
    Can anyone compare the Big Betty to the Hans Dampf?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yes, it is a flaw but not really a functional problem. If it was in the tread I would worry. On the sidewall, not at all. The sidewall rubber layer is mostly cosmetic. You do get a look at the Snakeskin layer. Maybe ask CC for a partial refund?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesalec View Post
    Ditch the Fat alberts and go for a Big Betty in front!
    BB front is a joke compared to a MM. They're a rear use for FR only tire if you ask me which IS what I have on my FR bike. This is for my TRAIL bike where I want LIGHTER tires!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Axe
    Custom User Title
    BB front is a joke compared to a MM. They're a rear use for FR only tire if you ask me which IS what I have on my FR bike. This is for my TRAIL bike where I want LIGHTER tires!
    True that. I have Big Betty rear and Muddy Mary 2.35 front on my bigger bike, and that is perfect. I have tried BB in front - with two sizes of trail King in the rear, and it just not as good.

That said, regular BB in the rear is just fine for "AM" riding. Its a 850g tire, not some DH monster. It rolls great, and it is very sturdy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    True that. I have Big Betty rear and Muddy Mary 2.35 front on my bigger bike, and that is perfect. I have tried BB in front - with two sizes of trail King in the rear, and it just not as good.

That said, regular BB in the rear is just fine for "AM" riding. Its a 850g tire, not some DH monster. It rolls great, and it is very sturdy.
    Yeah except I have the UST version which I believe comes in at 1100 gms!

Cheers,

G

wuss
    Yeah except I have the UST version which I believe comes in at 1100 gms!

Cheers,

G
    The normal one works just fine tubeless, just add a bit of sealant (good idea anyway)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I wish mine was 850g

Mine weighs in at ~930g
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    The normal one works just fine tubeless, just add a bit of sealant (good idea anyway)
    Not for my style of riding! On my FR bike and need the tougher sidewalls for big drops and hard cornering.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I wish mine was 850g

Mine weighs in at ~930g
    Exactly - I find it hilare that some here are comparing a FR tire to a trail tire.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 06-22-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I wish mine was 850g

Mine weighs in at ~930g
    All I have had weighted pretty much on the nose. I have not had such luck with Trail King though.. 100g overweight for both I bought.

Big Betty is an excellent trail tire. They roll great - I prefer them to Fat Alberts in that regard, say nothing about anything Kenda makes - and weight is very reasonable, especially if setup tubeless, and on a reasonable wheel-set. Lighter then Trail King/Rubber Queen.
    Last edited by Axe; 06-22-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    All I have had weighted pretty much on the nose. I have not had such luck with Trail King though.. 100g overweight for both I bought.

Big Betty is an excellent trail tire. They roll great - I prefer them to Fat Alberts in that regard, say nothing about anything Kenda makes - and weight is very reasonable, especially if setup tubeless, and on a reasonable wheel-set. Lighter then Trail King/Rubber Queen.
    I have had three. The first was ~935g, the second was ~880g (which is what they are now claimed to be), but it had a defect. The replacement they sent me was ~930g.

My 2.4 Rubber Queen tipped the scales at over 960g, something like 100g over claimed.

FWIW, both my Nobby Nics are significantly over weight (~80-90g each).

I do really like the Big Betty on the front. Not the most compliant tire out there, but corners great and keeps a cool head when things get really hairy.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Just got a pair of hans dampfs today. About the easiest tires I've ever set up tubeless - put them on some flow wheels. I didn't even spin it to distribute the sealant. Put the tire on, dumped sealant in, aired up. Could have mounted these with a floor pump I'll bet.

The tires weighed in at 783 and 785 grams.

I haven't ridden them on a trail yet but they have a burly feel to the sidewall and big knobs. Smaller casing than the fat alberts or the nobby nics. Next stop, moab.
    I would not run these tires at Moab... but something with lots of knobs and that is a cheap tire on for Moab, maybe something Kenda.... Moab flat out eats up tires, so put a cheap set on to get wrecked while riding there, with dense pattern, closely spaced, low rise knobs.

banned
    Sep 2007

Kind of a bummer with that new tire. I'd take the picture of it and send a picture to Schwalbe, have them replace it. Call first....

Then what I would do is scuff the area up a little bit, smear a thin layer of Shoe Goo over that thin spot where the rubber is missing, let it set up for 24 hours, install it and go ride. I doubt Schwalbe wants a junk tire shipped back.

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I would not run these tires at Moab... but something with lots of knobs and that is a cheap tire on for Moab, maybe something Kenda.... Moab flat out eats up tires, so put a cheap set on to get wrecked while riding there, with dense pattern, closely spaced, low rise knobs.

I agree, for Moab you should get the hardest tire possible out there, Maxxis 60A or even 70A

mtbr member
    Duuude, hurry up UPS guy. Man hope my set of these tires get here soon so i can go hammer on them, cant wait to through these on my Enduro

update, they got here late today so ill be hammering them tommorrow at beaver creek mtb trails raleigh nc. Be a great test.
    Last edited by rcjonessnp175; 06-23-2011 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
    Duuude, hurry up UPS guy. Man hope my set of these tires get here soon so i can go hammer on them, cant wait to through these on my Enduro

update, they got here late today so ill be hammering them tommorrow at beaver creek mtb trails raleigh nc. Be a great test.
    Who'd you order them from? I'm still waiting for mine from Bike Bling a month after ordering them.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Who'd you order them from? I'm still waiting for mine from Bike Bling a month after ordering them.
    You should know better...try Chad at Red Barn Bikes
    Call Us: (406) 363-2662
    http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/

mtbr member
    Got mine from universalcycles link was in another thread, ya again believe the hype these tires rock. Kickass cornering and aggressive tire.

Perpetual Hack
    Kent...

You should know better.... Trust the Big Red Barn.

I had mine up here in the GreatWhiteNorth about 3 weeks after ordering from Chad. Order went in when Distro was out of stock.

...and as far as the tire...

I have only limited terrain style ridden, mostly forest style trail with rock and root. Tire rolls good, not super fast but noticeably faster than my TN BigBetty.
    Seals up with no issues on my 819's.
    I'm 210 no gear, and am running them at 28F and 32R to start.
    Very good rebound / bounce control.
    Great grip in dry conditions.
    Sheds / punches thru light or "dry" mud.
    Does not like thick gloppy mud - takes a bit to clear.
    Good grip on dry / dusty rock
    Limited experience on wet rock - but good so far.
    No idea on wet wood yet.
    No vague transition area - so good for slower trail speeds with limited lean angles.
    Limited high speed cornering done - but so far feels good. Nice predictable break-away
    Due to no void / transition area does not slip then hook in hard cornering, but does have a high threshold.
    Climbing traction is great, especially in rock etc due to great rebound control.
    So far no squirm or weird feelings.
    No cuts, rips, flats or burps.
    I'm thinking they will wear a bit faster than I would like.

My new favorite summer trail tire by a long margin.

michael

mtbr member

Satisfied customer?

Gotta be fair, I was kinda down on the HD's (see earlier post & sidewall issue) but Schwalbe finally got some stock, sent a replacement and I got some ride time. So now the follow-up.

Not enough rides to say for sure but the HD's might be close to the hype. First, never had a tubeless set up so easy, no soapy water, knuckles unscathed. They are a big 2.35 so know your bikes limitations, I wouldn't dare put anything larger on the rear of the Mojo.

As far as ride, I pretty much second what Mykel thought. Also they grip wet and rooty well and are excellent on soft-over-hard both up and down. Resist side-slip in mud. Not a super fast roller but definately roll better than they should for how much tractor-grip they seem to have. Just kept laying them over more and more on hard and soft-over-hard downs. Can't wait to try them on desert rock and dirt. Also gotta tinker with the psi a bit more.

Tire Geek O_o

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Received mine today as well.
    I keep ending up on the ground with them, so have been running a BB on rear and a MM up front for trail rides. Makes you strong like Bull. ( or hack up a lung at the top of a climb - not too sure on which is actual reality - maybe dumb like Bull? )
    l
    I run Big Bettys on my All Mountain bike, and I love them, they are heavy... but you dont feel it while pedaling up the mountain. The front feels assured, while the BB on the rear makes me feel ligther and faster than I ever have (the traction is that good).

However is the trail is to humid, damp, with loomy and loose over hardpack conditions the Bettys just pack and feel draggy. For that reason I believe for almost any condition the BB(F)/BB(R) or a MM(F)/BB(R) combo is the best overall. For the conditions I mentioned, I would run the MM(F) and a HD (R) , or perhas both muddy marys.

mtbr member
    My HDs finally came in. I called Bike Bling last week and they said they hadn't been getting any in for the past few weeks. Schwalbe was telling them there was a worldwide back order.

I was about to cancel the order but I figured I could put some placeholder tires on in the meantime. The next day I got an email saying they had shipped.

I haven't mounted them yet but I did weigh them. Like others have said they can vary quite a bit. One was 837 grams, the other was 752 grams.

Should I put the heavier one on the rear or does it matter?

They feel nice and sticky with very soft, compliant knobs. We'll see how they wear.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Tire Geek O_o
    Schwalbes are always a bit heavy on paper, but take them to the trail and they will feel lighter than your highrollers, I dare to assure you.

mtbr member
    I got mine today. I'm dissapointed by the weight. 900g and 870g. That's way off the advertised 750g. They look nice but I hope they perform awesome, as my highrollers are about 700g each. Thats almost an extra pound of rotating weight.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6