Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Been riding Weirwolf 2.3 UST (Nomad Carbon) and Muddy Mary UST (Firebird) for the past year. Muddy Mary is better for the mud we have here while the Weirwolf is a little better for dry conditions.

So for 2011 I decided to wait and try the Hans Dampf. It sounds like how I would design a tire. It's supposed to be good in the wet, in the dry, and everything inbetween. Sort of like a Muddy Mary with a little lower profile tread and more knobs in the transition area where the MM only had them something like every other or every 1/4th spot.

So I started with 35psi, some climbing and some fun/serious AM or nearly DH trails. (I'll post a vid below of the trail). I like to start a tire out at 35 because: I'm 230lbs, I ride a bike pretty hard, and some tires can handle less and some need more before folding over for my riding style. Yeah, some tires will just blow off the rim with less for my trails/riding style/weight.

Anyhoo, awesome tire. It has less rolling resistance than the Weirwolf or the Muddy Mary has. More cornering traction, and just feels consistent. The sidewalls are firm and I'm going to drop the psi to 32 or so when I ride next (probably tomorrow) and I would guess it'll be even better....

Here is the trail:

SST not from the very top from Clayton Petree on Vimeo.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe Hans Dampf-hdtirea.jpg  

Schwalbe Hans Dampf-hdtireb.jpg  

Last edited by gticlay; 03-26-2011 at 04:49 AM.
    "It looks flexy"

Clay,

Can you compare the Damf to the Nobby Nic 2.4's or the Fat Albert 2.4's?

I like both the NN and the FA's, but I'm curious where you would position the Damf in the Schwalbe line assortment.

Cheers.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porchsong
    Clay,

Can you compare the Damf to the Nobby Nic 2.4's or the Fat Albert 2.4's?

I like both the NN and the FA's, but I'm curious where you would position the Damf in the Schwalbe line assortment.

Cheers.

Porch
    Sorry, I haven't ridden either tire.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Another review here it is of any help. 2.3 is similar weight to 2.4 FA.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf

ok, thanks.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Clay,
    Are you running them tubeless? Can you share where you got them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBike
    Clay,
    Are you running them tubeless? Can you share where you got them?
    Yes, tubeless. They have them just call and order direct. I don't like to wait for things....

The sidewalls on these things are great. I've ridden "for tubless but not UST" tires in the past from Specialized and another company and hated them because they rode squirmy no matter the pressure and ended up running them tubed. These feel no different to me than UST sidewalls. Maybe it's because the volume on these is quite high. Maybe they aren't, but they LOOK bigger than my muddy mary tires... almost as big as my WTB Prowler 2.5's.

I might go ride them for a quickie tonight with lower pressure. At 35 psi they grip extremely well but I feel there's more in 'em without getting a squirmy sloppy feel or denting my rims.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Any idea what the actual weight is?

mtbr member
    Just got back from another ride. I set them at 32psi this time (I'm 230 with gear). They really are a too-good-to-be-true tire so far. The sidewalls still feel super consistent and so does the traction. So far, my favorite tire ever.

To answer jimarin:
    Tire A : 784g
    Tire B : 791g
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Question, were did you mount your helmet cam for this FOV. Looks good i have a contour hd and been experimenting trying to find similiar to what your view is. Thanks ahead of time, also im stationed in germany picking up some mavic crossmax st wheelset tommorrow and hopefully these tires to.

Thanks

Jonesy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175
    Question, were did you mount your helmet cam for this FOV. Looks good i have a contour hd and been experimenting trying to find similiar to what your view is. Thanks ahead of time, also im stationed in germany picking up some mavic crossmax st wheelset tommorrow and hopefully these tires to.

Thanks

Jonesy
    Hey Jonesy,

I have a GoPro chesty mount. So the camera is sitting on my beer gut while I ride

I'm not sure you can mount a contour that way just because of it's shape, but maybe? I'd love to try those wheels as well but $$$$$$
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Just got back from another ride. I set them at 32psi this time (I'm 230 with gear). They really are a too-good-to-be-true tire so far. The sidewalls still feel super consistent and so does the traction. So far, my favorite tire ever.

To answer jimarin:
    Tire A : 784g
    Tire B : 791g
    Hi,
    What rims do you have these on?
    I just ordered some Flow rims and thought I'd try something besides a Nevegal tire..
    I've been running standard 2.35 Nevegals (710 grams!) ghetto tubeless w/ no problems. Been looking for a tire w/ a tougher sidewall ... this might be it.

Can you compare the rolling resistance w/ the Nevegal?

thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    client, I'd say they roll a bazillion times faster than the Nevegal... but most tires do XT wheelset.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hans Damf vs 2.4 NN

Is the extra 100 grams worth it for the Hans? Any ideas of the size difference? Going to get one of these as a front with a 2.25 NN on rear.

mtbr member
    Well, rode them on my Nomad Carbon 1x10 today in super duper Pacific NW downpour weather. The kind where trails are mini streams. The lower knob height than the Muddy Mary means they don't quite dig in enough and spin a little bit here and there. Actually still pretty darn good in the rain/mud but if you are going to be riding them in mud all winter, the Muddy Mary would definately be better. Way better than a Nevegal 2.35, Mountain King 2.4, or Weirwolf 2.3 tire though.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

Upset Out of stock

The only place I can find these in stock is directly from Schwalbe.

They are listed for much less money on a couple of online dealers (but not in stock)

Anyone know where to buy these for ~$70 ...... not $90 !

thanks.

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008

Can't... resist... urge... to... buy...

Damn it, Clayton! I've been wanting to try these tires out and your review has pushed me over the edge. I'm currently running a Mountain King 2.4 front (protection version set up tubeless) and a Nevegal 2.1 UST rear, so hopefully these will hook up and roll even better.
    Out of curiosity, what do you run for a rear tire?

Client_9, I'm going to order mine from bikebling.com. I've ordered from them before, and although they're one of the online bike shops with nothing in stock, I usually get my orders within a week. Totally worth it, especially when you use the "realdeal" coupon code for an additional 10% off...

Cheers,
    Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyvoxel
    Damn it, Clayton! I've been wanting to try these tires out and your review has pushed me over the edge. I'm currently running a Mountain King 2.4 front (protection version set up tubeless) and a Nevegal 2.1 UST rear, so hopefully these will hook up and roll even better.

Client_9, I'm going to order mine from bikebling.com. I've ordered from them before, and although they're one of the online bike shops with nothing in stock, I usually get my orders within a week. Totally worth it, especially when you use the "realdeal" coupon code for an additional 10% off...

Cheers,
    Michael
    Yeah, bikebling is good. stimulus also works for a discount.

I'm running the HD ft and rr.
    "It looks flexy"

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyvoxel

Cheers,
    Michael
    i ordered some pads and gloves from them and it took like a week and half for them to process and ship the order? not a knock on them but i was kinda surprised because they have a rep of shipping stuff fast.

anyway clay, hd front and rear? how do you like it on the back?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got a pair of hans dampfs today. About the easiest tires I've ever set up tubeless - put them on some flow wheels. I didn't even spin it to distribute the sealant. Put the tire on, dumped sealant in, aired up. Could have mounted these with a floor pump I'll bet.

The tires weighed in at 783 and 785 grams.

I haven't ridden them on a trail yet but they have a burly feel to the sidewall and big knobs. Smaller casing than the fat alberts or the nobby nics. Next stop, moab.

Still rockin' those bibs!
    Sep 2004

Just got mine...

...and I'm pretty excited! How can they feel so burly and weigh so little? And they seem to have the perfect knob height and distribution. This is the tire I've been waiting for all these years.

And I got them at bikebling.com. They told me when I ordered them that they are selling out before they even arrive. Hmmm, maybe I should hoard them.
    Like half of everything I ride comes out of Jenson. Figure that out.

mtbr member
    The cornering is absolutely amazing. It has to be the slow rebound rubber - they just seem to grip every last little pebble, yet roll very fast. The only bad thing about them is that when it's really greasy from mud they slide around a bit. But hey, these are my summer tires.

Also, I've found that 32psi is the sweet spot for me between traction and compliance. When I go down around 30psi they start to wallow a little and fold over in the corner, when I go above they just feel a little over inflated and deflect off of things a little more.

The new Weirwolfs had the floppiest sidewalls I've ever ridden tubeless. First I tried the TCS version and had to run 40 psi but the sidewalls still felt funky. Then I went with the UST and found them to be good around 36-38 psi. Any less and they wanted to fold over and wallow.

I know some of you guys run really low pressure in the 20's but I'm around 225lbs without gear. I can't imagine going much lower unless a tire had a DH casing.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

ride report

Believe the hype! These tires grip on everything.

I'm 210lbs on a Nomad .... aggressively riding lots of rocks and roots.

Don't be afraid to run these at lower pressures ... that's when they really perform.

I have mine on Stan's Flow rims @ 28 psi rear tire / 26 psi front.

mtbr member
    Rode about 40 miles past week mostly on dry conditions I also run them on a Stan's Flow @ about 28psi and they feel very solid the grip is superb and the light weight is a big +.
    time will tell if they are THE tire to have but so far they are better then my Minion's and Nevegal's I guess I will have to wait for the winter to see if they are really the "Jack of all Trades"
    Happy Trails.

mtbr member
    These sound awesome, its funny its a german tire and thier not released yet here in germany bummer. Well moving back to states in june july time frame so ill pick them up then. Im very impressed with schwalbe tires, im running nobby nic ust front and back on the mavic crossmax st wheelset perfect for were im at in germany they roll fast and grip great to.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast