mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Schwalbe Black Shark Mud questions

I'm fairly sold on these Black Shark Mud tires and will be ordering them from my LBS shortly. I still have a few questions, however. It's been a long time since I've run anything less than 2.3 up front and I'm a little sketchy about it. Shiggy's site gives them an actual 2.0 width making them even skinnier. What's a good psi starting point for this tire? Is it going to be hell trying to fit it onto Mavic 521's? How is the rolling resistance as compared to the Nokian NBX 2.3? The Schwalbe site doesn't mention F/R specific but the tread looks failry paddle like [rear specific] - how is it as a front tire? Does the light version feel stable enough or would the double defense be a better option [stiffer sidewalls]? Are they appropriate for Mac Forest snotty clay mud?

Thanks for any answers anyone might have.

Buddharoadkill

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaRoadkill
    I'm fairly sold on these Black Shark Mud tires and will be ordering them from my LBS shortly. I still have a few questions, however. It's been a long time since I've run anything less than 2.3 up front and I'm a little sketchy about it. Shiggy's site gives them an actual 2.0 width making them even skinnier. What's a good psi starting point for this tire? Is it going to be hell trying to fit it onto Mavic 521's? How is the rolling resistance as compared to the Nokian NBX 2.3? The Schwalbe site doesn't mention F/R specific but the tread looks failry paddle like [rear specific] - how is it as a front tire? Does the light version feel stable enough or would the double defense be a better option [stiffer sidewalls]? Are they appropriate for Mac Forest snotty clay mud?

Thanks for any answers anyone might have.

Buddharoadkill
    The BSM works well f&r. I have used the BSM on the front for the Mudslinger several times with good results. Use them on both ends around Eugene. Currently my favorite winter tire. Pretty good on the wet rocks, roots and logs, too.
    My preference is the 2.1 Light. There is a 2.25 version with a heavier casing (still folding bead). I would not recommend it on the rear for clearance reasons.
    I use 35psi front/38 rear for the 2.1. ~32 for the 2.25 on the front.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common