mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    refresh

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ithacking View Post
    Tittle says it all. What is better front tire? They are around same price

I ride 50% dry, 50% wet/muddy
    The answers are very personal regarding tires, but in my opinion, Vertical all the way. The black shark only works well when it's really muddy, otherwise, it's a scary tire to use.
    Yes, I've used both, if you are wondering

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks mate, I've seen both in shop and liked Vertical more. Just one more question if you tried Conti Baron? Are they worth investing in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've tried most of the continental line, the Baron was called Rain King when I had one in the front. It's a good tire also, and maybe a bit better in the mud than the Vertical, but being on the front all year round , I'd go with the vertical, as it's more predictable in the dry.
    Let me tell you one thing, as a guy who learned this the hard way (spending a lot on tires): Almost every tire is a POS on muddy terrain; some slip, some pack clay, but most will do the job. Unless you have a specific mud tire (skinny, very soft and tall spikes), then, the experience will be good. But remember, mud tires are shitty as hell o every other terrain. So, unless you have a race with a 70 or 80% muddy track, don't buy them.

A mid to low height and mid spaced knobs will work on most of terrains in the 4 seasons, like the Vertical.
    Low and tightly spaced knobs - dry.
    Mid spaced and mid height - All year/hardpack/loose over hard/loose/soft/muddy- (but loose specific)
    High and widely spaced knobs - Soft and muddy (beware of these on the tarmac)

Go from here and pick one or two tire for the 12 months. Don't waste money and don't fall on their marketing skills. A 10 year mtb tire design might be good nowadays. Manufacturers come with stuff almost every year because… well, because they have… It's their job.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden Vertical in a while, but it was a great all-around tire in dry loose over hard, rooty rocky conditions. Another benefit not mentioned yet...durability... my last Vertical kind of became a running joke among my riding buddies...."The tire that would not die". I finally replaced it just to try something new and kept it on hand as a backup.
    Spend the extra $ for Black Chili Protection! It's worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow, nice posts! Thanks for sharing knowledge! I will probably be getting Verticals I also saw Trail Kings, they are nice also. But i'm guessing Verticals are better all arounders.

P.S Currently i have my Tioga DH Factory 2.1 in front.

mtbr member
    Trail Kings are really great....more popular these days than the Vertical for sure. TK's are much bigger... 2.2 is as big or bigger than the 2.3 Vertical, and the 2.4 TK is a behemoth....really popular for folks riding in wet rooty techy conditions because you can run super low pressure and get a lot of ground contact and traction... the black chili rubber doesn't hurt either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hmm, i'm starting to change my mind. My local bike shop has Conti Trail King 2.2 and Mountain King II 2.4? They are little more expensive than Verticals. What to do now?
    I think Trail King 2.4 can't even fit on my bike..

Trail King 2.2 vs Mountain King II 2.4 vs Vertical 2.3?

mtbr member
    Everybody's trails, techniques, and preferences are different, but I would pick the Trail King.... 2.2 for typical applications.... 2.4 is a beast, but probably unmatched for low pressure performance and traction in the wet, steep, and slippery... it's a lot of rubber to spin up if you're doing fast xc type stuff though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess i could get Trail King 2.4, but i probably won't be albe to fit it on my bike... Anyways thanks, i'll probably be getting Trail King 2.2 then