mtbr member
    Jul 2017

SCHWALBE BIG ONE OR G ONE SPEED durability....

hi everybody.for those who are riding regularly these tires,can you do a review about their durability? how many miles before wear? is anyone riding them mostly on apshalt? thank you for your testimonies!

mtbr member
    Big one won't last more than 500. It is fast though.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    500?? waouww...that's not much!

mtbr member
    Its a beach racing tire. They fair better on sand. G one's are much more durable and just as fast

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've tried the Big one and they were super fast and I was happy until I did a wheelie for a bit on flat pavement. When my front tire came down at the next light the sidewall casing tore/split and I lost all the pressure over the next 2 minutes. Had to walk a couple miles to public transit as it was tubeless and I didn't want to deal with the mess. I'm about to order G-One Speed EVO Snakeskin in 2.35 as the Big One I tore had liteskin casing and the Snakeskin is designed to prevent sidewall punctures (or tears in my case). I'm ordering 4 from r2-bike.com the cost comes to about $42 per tire.
    Last edited by B.Colett; 07-11-2017 at 11:38 PM.

No Reputation!
    Big ones made it thru a few months of training and then the trans Iowa for me and still look new so they definitely last much longer than 500 miles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My big ones were less than 1 mph average faster than all of my various XC tires. Not worth it at all. I'll stick with ikons aspens, xr2s,etc.

I was expecting a dramatic difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Reputation!
    Less rolling resistance than the GP 4000S on the test so it's incredibly fast....but it's not in the same category as a "regular knobby off road tire" like the aspens.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...e-big-one-2016

But now that they don't make it anymore....how does the G-one speed compare? Is it the same thing or what?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just take a wild guess and tell me how much faster you think a a Big one would be at 45 PSI vs some 2.35 XC tires at 24 psi.

I read the test, I bought the tires. I actually ordered 7 different tires. I have many many passes on a section of road way and paved path. I have many many hill repeats up 10+% grade climbs.

Trust me, I would love for them to set the world on fire and go faster. They dont. If you are riding slow and cruising at a very low speed, they will "feel" incredibly faster. When you are averaging ~300 watts for 20 minutes, there is negligible gain in speed. Much of that wattage is soaked up by the wind. They can also slower on Big steep twisty down hills because they understeer vs an XC tire and will drift off the road slowly at high speeds causing you to potentially brake more. I'll give up the <1 mph average increase to have the ability to huck, ride gravel with confidence, bomb hills with traction, and hit random singletrack or bypasses with some real traction. I wanted these tires to faster. I wanted to race some 4/5 road crits on my hardtail with them.

Go ahead and buy the tires out test with a power meter at high speed with multiple. workouts and tell me your experience. Dont post a link to a drum test.

No Reputation!
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Just take a wild guess and tell me how much faster you think a a Big one would be at 45 PSI vs some 2.35 XC tires at 24 psi.
    Of course the answer is "it depends". If we're talking about racing your mountain bike on a mountain bike trail then they're slower. If we're talking a long gravel race then they have the potential to save enough time to make them totally worth it. I agree with you that at high speed the aero drag becomes a much bigger factor than rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
    Of course the answer is "it depends". If we're talking about racing your mountain bike on a mountain bike trail then they're slower. If we're talking a long gravel race then they have the potential to save enough time to make them totally worth it. I agree with you that at high speed the aero drag becomes a much bigger factor than rolling resistance.
    No man, Im talking about Time trialing on a concrete bike path.

Training street rides on all street w asphalt were no more than 1.0 mph faster average speed.

a Bike path segment I train on which is basicly a 25 minute interval each way was not even fast enough to say they are faster. I'll still give them another shot. I may use them if I do a 150 mile charity ride on the Hardtail. If I do a gravel race, I will ride something else.

They "feel" faster on asphalt than the concrete path. Decomposed Granite is a sketchy AF. Hardpack is no big deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    i have used mine on a mix of crushed limestone, dirt single track, gravel roads and various quality levels of pavement. on all of the above they felt super fast. the biggest difference was on slight downhill and coasting sections. the bike just never seemed to slow down. i have the lite skins and have had zero issues. probably have about 600 miles and they look just like new. i would get the snake skin version next time just for peace of mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCHWALBE BIG ONE OR G ONE SPEED durability....-fat-bike-slicks-1.jpg  

SCHWALBE BIG ONE OR G ONE SPEED durability....-fat-bike-slicks-2.jpg  

No Reputation!
    Hey nice fenders!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have the Snakeskin 2.35's and they are amazing on road, hard pack and gravel.
    SO fast.
    What I love about them is that at around 18 - 20 psi there is enough comfort to go over really rough ground with ease, but they still roll really fast on tarmac at these pressures.
    There is no other tyre I have tried like this.

Take them up to 30 -35 psi and travelling at 18mph on the flat is effortless and still comfortable.

If Schwalbe would stick a row or 2 of knobblies on the sides this would be my all round tyre of choice.
    As they are, they useless off road in any damp conditions unless you go very slowly.
    And here in the UK its damp or very wet most of the year, though as I write we have had 10 days of sunshine. Yippee.