mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Schwalbe Al Mighty Problem, Typical?

So I'd hoped to use an Al Mighty as a rear. Big and squishy is a big plus on a rigid singlespeed.

Problem is, I can't inflate it. I've got a Mavic 819 rim (same as the 3.1 - it's the UST XC rim) and it's just too loose on the bead to hold any without coming off. One side isn't too bad, one is horrible. But it acts as if the beads might "hook" on a wider rim.

Is this typical? Do I need to stay away from downhill oriented tires?

mtbr member
    Do you mean that the bead diameter is too large to seat onto the bead hook of the rim, and it blows off the rim when the tire is pressurized? If yes, do not use the tire. If the bead looks "wavy" it is damaged.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, the bead is too loose. I won't use it, cause I can't.

How come? I'm just afraid on spending more money on tires that don't work in my quest for big squish.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    is it a nonfolding al mighty?
    there has been a recall for schwalbe downhill nonfolding tires here in germany. al mighty, big betty, muddy mary and black shark mud nonfolding tires have been recalled. for every tire send in you got 2 new tires of your choice (only downhill tires like muddy mary, big betty or fat albert can be chosen when i remember correctly).
    i think you should write a mail to your local schwalbe support.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    if the tire is determined to be safe, put a tube in and blow it up conventionally so the bead seats, deflate the tire and un hook the "good" side to remove the tube. then try seating it. Should be easier with half already in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was trying to use it with a tube anyway. The bad side is so loose that it doesn't seat.

I'll see if I can get support on it. Bought and mounted a Nevegal last night so I'm set to ride. Al mighty in the closet.