mtbr member

Schwalbe: 29er 2013 Rocket Ron or 2012 Racing Ralph

Well I need a new set of tires, currently on 2.4F/2.25R Racing Ralph's but I'm looking for a replacement but this time I don't think I need to go that wide so my options are

2013 Rocket Ron 29 x 2.1
    2012 Racing Ralph 29 x 2.1

I need a fast rolling tire and looks like new Rocket Ron's are pretty amazing, also they are a tad less than 500grs according to Schwalbe's specs

On the other side Racing Ralph's are pretty amazing and I'm already used to them so, what should I do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    2013 Rocket Ron 29x2.25". Awesome tires! It has a bit more grip, rolls allmost as fast and is as light as the Ralphs. A more versatile tire without any noteworthy penalty: Why not?

Really, take the wider ones. Right now you think you do not need to go that wide, but wide has hardly a penalty, except a little more weight. They roll faster over anything except smooth hardpack or tarmac. Tiny tires only feel fast because they beat the cr*p out of you, because you have to run them at higher pressures to save grip and rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    Well I need a new set of tires, currently on 2.4F/2.25R Racing Ralph's but I'm looking for a replacement but this time I don't think I need to go that wide so my options are

2013 Rocket Ron 29 x 2.1
    2012 Racing Ralph 29 x 2.1

I need a fast rolling tire and looks like new Rocket Ron's are pretty amazing, also they are a tad less than 500grs according to Schwalbe's specs

On the other side Racing Ralph's are pretty amazing and I'm already used to them so, what should I do?
    Get both Run the Rocket Ron on the front and the Racing Ralph on the rear. That was the tip from a German colleague who is going to XTerra world championship this year, he's no slouch for giving tips. I got me a set and this is what I'm going to run next. And yes, they were about 500g on a kitchen scale.

bikerpilot
    Anybody know where to find 2013 Rocket Ron's yet?
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR View Post
    Anybody know where to find 2013 Rocket Ron's yet?
    schwalbe
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

bikerpilot
    Just noticed that the 2013 Rocket Ron will be available in a 29x2.25 Snakeskin. That's pretty exciting. Now I can finally have the same Ron/Ralph combo for both rocky and non-rocky races.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    What I'd like is a 2.35x29 Ron for the front.
    I used to use a 2.35 or 2.4 Ralph but prefer Rons more aggressive pattern on the side knobs, so I settle for 2.25 front and rear Ro/Ra.

mtbr member
    Check out the Nobby Nic.

Also, did Schwalbe actually raise their prices? They sell the most expensive tires already. $90 for one bicycle tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    What I'd like is a 2.35x29 Ron for the front.
    I used to use a 2.35 or 2.4 Ralph but prefer Rons more aggressive pattern on the side knobs, so I settle for 2.25 front and rear Ro/Ra.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to hearing some ride reports of the new for 2013 Rocket Ron. I am not that impressed with the 2012 variety, but the preview here on MTBR looked like Schwalbe tried to address all the stuff I didn't like. (Squirmy, fragile shoulder knobs, poor cornering grip on loose-over-hardpack.)

Maya333

Rocket Ron 29" 2.25

Well, my experience with rons, BUT 2011, (Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29 x 2.25
    67EPI Kevlar bead / Performance Serie) is, that through the 150 KM I've done on them, I have already twice had a flat tire. Mostly city rides, bit in some mud, but nothing, that should cause the defects I mentioned so often. Some other users report the same problems with Rons, but as I mentioned: mine were the 2011 and performance series - a bit lighter in weight, but therefore with thinner side walls. I also find them not so good for the back wheel, as the side knobs are a bit small and bend in some tight curves, causing the back wheel to wash out a bit. But that is all my own personal opinion. Personally I would opt for tires with bigger knobs and some bit tougher, even if a bit heavier, maybe maxxis ardent or so. The relatively high prices of Schwalbe are also to consider. Happy trails, Fil