mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Sapim LASER Drive-side Front Okay For my Build?

Hello, All. I am [re]building yet another set of wheels for myself. Not out of necessity, just out of wanting something different. On the rear, I am replacing a light-bicycle carbon with a Velocity Dually, so the spokes I have will just be reused. On the front, I am building with a Hope Pro II front and a Velocity Dually. My calculation comes up with 291.9mm/293.3mm NDS/DS as being required. The other night I ordered a bag of 50 292mm Wheelsmith DB14 (one of my personal favorites) spokes for the build thinking I could make do. Now I am second guessing myself. [Question 1] Do I need to order 293 for the DS or should I be okay? I know I should probably have gone 291 on the NDS, but again, I was trying to simplify my order and make it work.

I am on roughly my 15th wheel build, so it's not my first experience and I build on a TS2.2 with a TM-1 and all of that jazz, so I have the equipment to do as well as possible with whatever I am working with. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but everything else I have built for myself and friends has come out great and held very true for multiple seasons.

I guess the final question, and main point of my thread, is spoke choice if I order some more. [Question 2] If I choose to order some more spokes, can I do Sapim Lasers on the DS front and be okay with my DB14 on the NDS? I am 185 naked morning weight and the bike is a HT 29er with 150mm of front travel. I've built with lasers before and actually love working with them.

beer *****es n' bikes
    By drive side, do you mean actual drive side, or the disc side (which is essentially treated as the drive side would be on a rear)?

For spoke length, especially with alloy nips, I would always err on the side of longer. Ideally, with any wheelbuild, you want your spokes fully engaged in the nip. With alloy it's especially important that the spoke be at least engaged below the rim to prevent cracking nips.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I rarely used alloy nipples. This build is brass. By drive side, I mean actual drive side.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by syntheticreality View Post
    [Question 1] Do I need to order 293 for the DS or should I be okay?
    Probably fine.
    [Question 2] If I choose to order some more spokes, can I do Sapim Lasers on the DS front and be okay with my DB14 on the NDS?
    Sure.
    I think mixing spoke gauges is unnecessarily complicated and justification for it is 100% speculative, but I haven't seen anything that would suggest it is a problem.
    You seem to be tying the question about Lasers to weight, and there are plenty of riders heavier than you on Lasers all around without problems. I know because I built the wheels. There are a ton of variables and that doesn't mean you'll never have a wheel problem, but they do work for heavier riders than you who ride hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks, meltingfeather! I almost pm'd you the question, but decided to post for all to enjoy. I see my instincts were right.

As for the idea of mixing spokes, my only justification was the length availability/price. Given that the 292mm should work all around, however, I'll stick with those!
    Last edited by syntheticreality; 07-07-2014 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The wheel is built with all 292 spokes, tensions is perfect, and so are true and dish. I'm nervous about the DS spokes because I can see 2-3 threads on each protruding from the stem (spoke side, not the head) of the nipple. These are brass nipples, is this likely to be a problem?

transmitter~receiver

Sapim LASER Drive-side Front Okay For my Build?

The wheel is built with all 292 spokes, tensions is perfect, and so are true and dish. I'm nervous about the DS spokes because I can see 2-3 threads on each protruding from the stem (spoke side, not the head) of the nipple. These are brass nipples, is this likely to be a problem?
    Threads showing means you were further off that we thought and probably had an input error- most likely ERD.
    That would drive me nuts and I would definitely fix it because it's hack and I pride myself on getting it right.
    Who knows if you'll have issues with the brass nips... one way to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Lol. Maybe I will be buying those 293mm lasers after all