Everything-rider

New question here. Same old question: Help with tyre choice, after days of research I ask you!

I know this is one of the most asked questions… but I tried everything and after days of research I am still not 100% sure which tyres to take, but, being a student, I can't take them all.

I am trying to find about 2.2" wide tyres for a 26er. I will mainly ride in wet-ish conditions, often over wet leaves and roots, some muddy passages and gras, but also gravel and, from time to time, also on dry tracks. I will do some recreational trail riding and also training as well as a few races, but not the primary task.

When I bought my last set of tyres I was mainly riding on gravel where my Conti Race King really showed what they had going for them, but in the end my riding style changed a bit and on slippery ground I am not happy with them.

I figured my tyres of choice might be either Conti X-King, Conti Mountain King or Schwalbe Nobby Nic. But the by far hardest decision is which compound to take (I am in the dark about the Schwalbe compounds) or what other version to take (Conti offers 4 versions of every tyre in every size…) so help is really appreciated.

Thank you all for your advice in advance.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Geax Gato 2.3 TNT. They are the bomb! I use as at Downieville, and Rockville. No problem. They are superb for 30 rides, then decent as they show wear.

Everything-rider
    How long can you use them? My Conti Race Kings made almost 2 years now with about 6000km.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you're going with the Conti's, get the Black Chili versions. Worth the extra cost. The Racesport versions of the Mountain King II have gotten good reviews by some of my friends.

As far as Schwalbe's, the Trailstar is softer and stickier and the Pacestar is firmer and longer lasting. A lot of folks run Trailstar front and Pacestar rear in the NN 2.25 and are happy with it as an "all arounder." Western PA conditions sound a lot like what you're riding in, too, sans a late summer dry period where the trails are totally dry.

Everything-rider
    Thank you everyone for your help. I decided to buy the Continental Mountain King 2.2 Folding Tyre with Black Chili compound. I took the normal folding version because it has better protection than the RaceSport and the Ultra Sonic, but it is lighter than the Protection, so somewhere in the middle. Maybe I will try the protection next time.

What made my decision was a review I found in the German Magazine "Bike" that torture tested a bunch of tyres and the Continental Tyres with Black Chili were holding twice as long as the Schwalbe ones, though it was a close race with the Nobby Nic's for me.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by jm-lh View Post
    Thank you everyone for your help. I decided to buy the Continental Mountain King 2.2 Folding Tyre with Black Chili compound. I took the normal folding version because it has better protection than the RaceSport and the Ultra Sonic, but it is lighter than the Protection, so somewhere in the middle. Maybe I will try the protection next time.
    Umm, only the racesport and protection versions have the Black chili.

Everything-rider
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Umm, only the racesport and protection versions have the Black chili.
    Thanks for the (sadly too late) note. I just checked the Conti Website and you're right. Sadly I ordered them on Friday evening because on the Evan's website it was written they had Black Chili.

Continental Mountain King II 26" Folding Tyre | Evans Cycles

no trees are safe
    You should ask a refund, or atleast a discount. They gave you false info on the product and now you're not satisfied.

Furthermore their prices are crazy high!

Check Continental Contitnental Mountainking Racersport on Bike-discount.de almost a full tire price difference!

Everything-rider
    so far Evans had the best deal I found apart from Wiggle, but they take 3 weeks to ship… I think I will actually complain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would steer you towards specialized tires. The new 2.3 purg is an excellent all around tire. Works great in mud, rocky conditions, loose over hardpack, large casing, no issues with chunking, and mount super easy tubeless. Specialized has invested millions in their new line of tires, and even have a 90 day return policy if you don't like them!