willtsmith_nwi

Rynolite rims ripping thorn resistant tubes ...

I have new Rynolite rims teamed with XT hubs. Previously I have used Thorn Resistant Tires (Pyramid/Kenda) that are rates up to 2.25" tires. And I have been using Panaracer Cinders in the 2.25" width.

Now with my new rims, the inner tubes seem to be "slipping" inside the tires. These eventually rips the valve stems. This tire/tube combination worked fine on narrower rims. The bead on the Cinder's were a loose on the older rims, but you definitely need the levers to get them on the Rynolites.

The kicker here is that my "backup" tubes that are thin skinned do not suffer from the slippage and valve rips.

I know that the Cinder's are supposedly a little "large" for their rated size of 2.25". Will a switch to full blown downhill tubes (2.25-2.5 like the IRC Torque Tubes) solve my problems??

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Try dusting the inside of the tyre with talcum powder. It won't stop the slippage, but will let the tyre move without gripping the tube and pulling the valve stem out.

I have also heard of taking some emery cloth and LIGHTLY roughening the hook of the rim where the bead sets to help them grip the tyre better.

HTH