mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. Running tubeless setup with standard tires on UST rim ok?

Have you had any success running regular tires (non-ust, not tubeless) on UST wheels without using tube?

to be more specific, is it possible to run regular tires without tubes on Mavic XM819 UST rims?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Tubeless Tires

I have been doing this for years with my 29er. You have to use sealant though (Stans).

Former Bike Wrench
    Running standard tires tubeless is a hit or miss endevour. Some will work fine, some will burp or blow off the rim causing you to possibly crash. They can also be a b!tch to mount. I've found from personal experience that UST rims are harder to mount and have more burping issues with standard tires than the BST design employed by Stans and some Sun-Ringle rims and wheelsets.

If your trying to reduce weight I'd recommend Tubeless Ready tires that meet UST spec beads such as
    Bontrager TLR
    Specialized 2Bliss
    Geax TNT
    Hutchinson Tubeless Ready
    WTB TCS

These use lighter casings with a sealant to stay airtight bu still have the UST bead that locks into the rim.

mtbr member
    Continental tires in the protection, racesport, supersonic versions have the updated UST beads . Sealant still recommended as there not UST "certified ".
    Personally I recommended sealant no matter what for thorn protection
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Use tubeless-ready tires with sidewall protection. Like those from Specialized, Schwalbe, Conti, etc. Much lighter than UST and fairly easy to seal up with Stan's. Otherwise, it is a hit and miss and generally not worth the trouble. Avoid Kenda's. And sidewall protection ones do help you from getting ripped sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    Use tubeless-ready tires with sidewall protection. Like those from Specialized, Schwalbe, Conti, etc. Much lighter than UST and fairly easy to seal up with Stan's. Otherwise, it is a hit and miss and generally not worth the trouble. Avoid Kenda's. And sidewall protection ones do help you from getting ripped sidewalls.
    So you're saying tubeless tires are lighter than UST tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ericepark View Post
    So you're saying tubeless tires are lighter than UST tires?
    Tubeless-READY, as opposed to TUBELESS( or UST) tires are indeed lighter due to the fact that they don't have the extra layer of BUTYL rubber that gives the tire it's self-sealing properties. Omission of this layer generally saves 100grams per tire and makes the entire casing slightly softer and more compliant to smalll trail imperfections.

The UST Bead remains however, meaning it is much easier to seal when paired with a true UST rim. In fact, most TL-ready tires will seal and hold air when properly inflated on a UST Rim even without sealant. you still have to run sealant however since the TL ready tire will not self-seal without the aforementioned butyl layer of a true Tubeless tire.

The tighter bead seal of TL ready tires also means they are less prone to burping compared to regular non tubeless tires which have been converted to tubeless use.

Helmetless Crasher
    Why are Kenda UST's a no-no?

Also, by the time you add sealant to a tubeless ready tire, don't you lose the 100g weight savings over a true UST tire?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Commit or eat sh!t
    I was talking about Kenda non-UST tires. One scoop of Stan's is only like 30-50g and bulk of it dries up within a week or so. I only use one scoop and a little around the beads if it doesnt seal up the 1st time.

UST tires weigh more than 100g, at least the ones I have used, and I still use Stan's with UST tires for thorn protection.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSuarez View Post
    Tubeless-READY, as opposed to TUBELESS( or UST) tires are indeed lighter due to the fact that they don't have the extra layer of BUTYL rubber that gives the tire it's self-sealing properties. Omission of this layer generally saves 100grams per tire and makes the entire casing slightly softer and more compliant to smalll trail imperfections.

The UST Bead remains however, meaning it is much easier to seal when paired with a true UST rim. In fact, most TL-ready tires will seal and hold air when properly inflated on a UST Rim even without sealant. you still have to run sealant however since the TL ready tire will not self-seal without the aforementioned butyl layer of a true Tubeless tire.

The tighter bead seal of TL ready tires also means they are less prone to burping compared to regular non tubeless tires which have been converted to tubeless use.
    Stan,
    Thank you for the detailed explanation. TLR tire on my XM819 rim is the way to go for me.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Why are Kenda UST's a no-no?

Also, by the time you add sealant to a tubeless ready tire, don't you lose the 100g weight savings over a true UST tire?
    They're not a "no-no", they're just heavy.

And most tubeless ready tires actually save more than 100g. For example look at the Specialized Purgatory 26" x 2.2"

-UST 850g ($60)
    -S-Works 2Bliss 580g ($55)
    -Control 2Bliss 670g ($50)

As you can see, you can save up to 270g. Sealant weighs about 60g so your still saving at least 120g and maybe 210g.