mtbr member

Running tube tires on UST rim X3.1 XM819 Disc

I AM LOOKING FOR 19MM INNER RIM WIDTH DISC SPECIFIC XC RIMS FOR TUBED TIRES.

Unfortunately I do not see any listed for Mavic. What I do find is Mavic XM819 Disc UST and older X3.1 Disc UST. Both weigh in at 460g which is the weight range I am looking for. Unless the bead hook is different from UST to clinchers, I should be able to run the UST with tubes and my favorite WTB Weirwolve 2.5 Kevlars. I see no technical or real life disadvantages of doing so. The up side, as far as I can see, is the fact that the UST rim wall where rim tape regularly goes is not drilled out. This might, repeat might, result in sturdier rim.

I have owned 221, 222, 517,139 ( all approx 400 gs) ridden them all hard 4 footers etc, no raim failures, if machine built re-trued and re-tensioned by hand. I simply want a 19mm inner rim for these 2.5s without going to a DH rim weight. The 321s are way heavier than I need.

I would appreciate your technical comments. Thanks in advance.

Bodhisattva
    I've run regular tires on my X3.1's, sometimes with tubes sometimes with stan's, and have never had any problems. These are the toughest narrow width rim I've used so I don't mind the little bit of extra weight compared with similarly sized rims.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.

― Albert Einstein

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    I AM LOOKING FOR 19MM INNER RIM WIDTH DISC SPECIFIC XC RIMS FOR TUBED TIRES.

Unfortunately I do not see any listed for Mavic. What I do find is Mavic XM819 Disc UST and older X3.1 Disc UST. Both weigh in at 460g which is the weight range I am looking for. Unless the bead hook is different from UST to clinchers, I should be able to run the UST with tubes and my favorite WTB Weirwolve 2.5 Kevlars. I see no technical or real life disadvantages of doing so. The up side, as far as I can see, is the fact that the UST rim wall where rim tape regularly goes is not drilled out. This might, repeat might, result in sturdier rim.

I have owned 221, 222, 517,139 ( all approx 400 gs) ridden them all hard 4 footers etc, no raim failures, if machine built re-trued and re-tensioned by hand. I simply want a 19mm inner rim for these 2.5s without going to a DH rim weight. The 321s are way heavier than I need.

I would appreciate your technical comments. Thanks in advance.
    You can run standard tires with tubes on UST rims - no problem.

Be aware than the 460g weight for the XM819 (exactly the same rim as the X3.1) does not include the required nipple cups. Total weight is around 510g.

Look at the Syncros DP25 Disc, <500g; WTB LaserDisc-XC, 470g; Ritchey Girder Disc, 440g; Alex FD-28 disc, 490g
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

11 is one louder than 10

Velocity Aeroheats

Are what I'm going back to I think. They used to run in the 450ish range, then beefed up to 490ish, but I am hearing they finally got a new die and the unmachined (look perfect for disc rims) are in the 460 range again. Strongest sub 525 rim I've ever used.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."