mtbr member

Running a smaller front tire

Im running a 2.1 ground control front and a 2.2 race king rear on my 29er hard tail.

I know most run bigger front but i was running the gc front and back while it was wet but its dryer and drying out so i put a race king on the back which i already had.

Gc is 2" body 2.1" tread, rk is 2.2" body 2.1" tread approximately.

Found the smaller gc cuts and grips and the bigger fast rolling rk allows me to motor but has some bump smoothness with the bigger body.

The ground control is great and rolls nice but i commute too and i figure i dont need to wear it out while its dry, ill put it back on the rear in the spring next year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Better gripping tire should go in front, not bigger. Well bigger tire mostly means better gripping tire, it doesn't have to be like that always. Specially because diffrence 2.1" and 2.2" is not significant

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Agree 2.1" and 2.2" is not significant and gripping up front is important since weight is aft. Also smaller in back helps with sinking in mud to grip under power and reduce rolling resistance under the more weighted back end. Less weight too. Also handling-- how it dips into turns is affected as well as head angle.

I found road slicks are so much faster for commuting distance that it made up for the time of changing out tires if headed the hills and finally just mated my crests with 26" roadie tires <- long term, this seems like a good match.

mtbr member

Yah but the bodys are more like 2" and 2.2" and yoi can visibly see the difference. I have to say the 2.2" race king is so much softer hitting bumps than the 2.1" gc on the back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    than the 2.1" gc on the back.
    This is for comparison, and GC is on front right?

I have a 1/3 worn 2.3 GC 26" if you want to try that on the front. PM me if you want me to ship, I need to clear out tires.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider View Post
    This is for comparison, and GC is on front right?

I have a 1/3 worn 2.3 GC 26" if you want to try that on the front. PM me if you want me to ship, I need to clear out tires.
    Im on a 29er. Thanks anyways.