mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rubber Queen 2.4 UST on Mavic 819 issues

has anybody done this??? i did mine on the front, and it's really massive...my MK 2.4 dwarfed it. just notice something that there are hairline cracks on the paint/checkered of the sidewall after just a few rides on it. even on the "rubber queen 2.4" name, its edge shows hairline separation with the sidewall as if it was attached separately. i don't have issues with losing air, but i'm not confident enough to ride it right now. i'll attach the some pictures later.

i called highway2 and they said it's not normal and i have to bring it to my LBS and request for a warranty. just wanna know if the rest of the guys here got the same situation like me and who's done with this setup.
    Last edited by schumi; 04-13-2010 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I ran 819's + 2.4 Rubber Queen UST with no issues for about a year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    how are your tires? no stretching cracks or fold marks on the tires? i think i need to bring this to my LBS for them to check it up. thanks Disco!

g3h6o3
    2.4s on the 819 looks like a bad combo to me. If you want to run lower pressures you will probably feel your tire folding. Mavic recommends a 2.35 max but I find it too wide. I limit myself to 2.2 (no need for larger than 2.1 actually) on the 819s.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, the (very big for a) 2.4 RQ would be much better suited to the 823 or 821 (stupid mavic)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    823s will be too much for my riding, as I prefer to get the smaller RQ 2.2 instead. the MK 2.4 looks like an average 2.2 tire. adding additional 0.5kg into my rig is way over my riding preference if i wanna swap it for an 823. will just trade-in my RQ 2.4 UST for a RQ 2.2 UST, i don't mind not having the black chili.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone use the little Albert on the 819?

Bonafide Clyde!
    Dec 2008
    I used an Albert on the 819 last summer. Worked great but was a pain to get on. It had good tread wear, and great grip but I swap out my UST tires every six months just in case the Stan's eats away at the tire as I've read before somewhere. Currently have Maxxis High Roller up front and a crossmark on the back of my 819 wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortfuze
    I used an Albert on the 819 last summer. Worked great but was a pain to get on. It had good tread wear, and great grip but I swap out my UST tires every six months just in case the Stan's eats away at the tire as I've read before somewhere. Currently have Maxxis High Roller up front and a crossmark on the back of my 819 wheelset.

What size of High Rollor and Crossmark are you running on the 819, and how do they compare to the Albert?

Bonafide Clyde!
    Dec 2008
    My High Roller is 2.35 UST up front and I have a 2.1 UST Crossmark in the back. When I ran the Albert, I had it up front and it gripped very well. I found that the High Roller was faster, but on corners, it would give a little until it locked up on the edge knobs. Now I am used to the feel of the tire, so I prefer the High Roller over the Albert. It's pretty much been my main front tire on all my wheels. It is a bit smaller that the stated 2.35, so its a decent match for the 819. In a few months, I'll probably try the latest WTB Weirwolf 2.35 up front.

If you're partial to Continental, I did run the 2.4 Mountain King UST up front on the 819's about a year ago. They're great up front, didn't care much for them in the back. However, I got a sidewall tear only 3 months into using them and afterwards, read that several others complained of the weak sidewall on the MK's. I'm not sure if the Protection series of MKs address sidewalls strength, but if not for that, I would have stayed with Mountain King 2.4's as my trail bike's front tire. The 2.4 MK does size up smaller than the stated 2.4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What size of Albert did you use?

Interesting that you experienced the High Roller being faster than the Albert, the alleged rolling resistance of the High Roller is higher than the Albert? However, I am starting to think that you have to get input from others that have used the different tires on the same rim that you are going to use. It seems that different rims will give a completely different profile to the tire, and therefore different end results.

How did the MK 2.4 fit on the 819?
    Thanks

Bonafide Clyde!
    Dec 2008
    I believe it was the 2.25 UST. Great grip and I felt very confident with them (Albert), but for some reason, my perception was that the High Roller was faster? As for the MK 2.4 UST, it was narrower than 2.3 if I remember correctly. It was just the right size but again, after the sidewall incident which left me stranded, I moved on to the Albert at that point.
    Another combo I'm considering is a Maxxis Advantage/ Ardent combo. I'm a bit of a Maxxis whore at this point LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=Shortfuze]I but I swap out my UST tires every six months just in case the Stan's eats away at the tire as I've read before somewhere.

I like the idea of swapping out every few months not only for the stans, but to try a different combo.