mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Roval Traverse Fattie Alloy vs Hope 2/Stan's Flow in 27.5

Hey guys, having trouble on this decision so I am looking for help and feedback. I've read the world over on the Stan's Flow combo and have seen and felt them in real life so I am pretty good on that set up.

These two wheelsets are very close in price but I am eyeing the Rovals for a few reasons. Right now on paper they are considerably lighter and wider. I want wide, but I am not willing to try out and experiment with Chinese Carbon just yet. In addition, with ordering Roval's from my LBS I know where to take them should there be any issues that arrive. Ordering low priced Stans combo's from oversea's scares me a bit.

Roval Traverse Fattie
    Width: 29
    Weight: 1690 (loss of 300g for me over stock)
    Hub: DT inners, 24 POE

Stans/Hope
    Width:24
    Weight:1865 (loss of 95G) for me
    Hub: Hope with 40POE

So I guess my question surrounds real life feedback on the Roval Traverse Fatties in Alloy. Anyone got any good miles on them yet? Are they stiff? What am I missing?

I haven't destroyed the stock Jalco set on my bike yet on many gnar day's so I would say I ride pretty light. I am 190 geared up on a Carbon Troy and ride everything from flat XC to 6 foot drops to some light bike park days.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    I have two friends with the Roval Traverse Fatties. One on a SC Bronson and the other on a new Enduro. Both Guys are over 200lbs, ride hard and have had zero issues. They are running the same tires I do, but the extra width over my 23mm internal rims is really noticeable. They both were able to lower pressure a good 5psi over what they ran with narrow rims and I've heard nothing but good things from them.

I've always likes Stans Flow, but the Traverse Fattie are wider and lighter and setup tubeless just as easy. Plus I think they look better.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bump....any additional feedback anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Well, for anyone else searching down the road I figured I would post up my decision to go with the Roval's. I couldn't really find reason not to on paper, although they appear to be the riskier choice being brand new. Of course the Flow/Hope combo is just rock solid, but I have never been one to do what everyone else is doing. LOL My gut says most of these aluminum guys are going to end up wider over the next few years.

We'll see how they hold up and I will report back. I wanted wider, I wanted lighter and they fit the bill, in fact I could find no lighter aluminum rim on the market outside of the Blunt SS. I really wanted the Hope hubs but screw it, these have DT inners and should be fine for what I need them for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How are the wheels doing for you?
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Holding up really well thus far man. It will be mid spring before input them through the ringer and give them a couple of beat downs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Roval Traverse Fattie Alloy vs Hope 2/Stan's Flow in 27.5

Would you be able to post a video of the hub sound? Just curios what that particular hub sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Send me a PM with your email address Fastback and I will knock a video out for you. No idea how to get one on here otherwise.

I'd describe it as a medium loud hub. It sounds VERY similar to my buddy's Stan's hub on his Flow's. It's a "solid" sounding hub, but not pingy or buzzy.