Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by seven-22 View Post
    Roval Joe,

Great thread and thanks in advance.

I'm rebuilding a set of hubs froma Roval control SL 26" wheelset and need the hub flange diameter and distance from center. The wheels are 2009-ish, white hubs with carbon shell on the front, 24/28 hole.

All the best.
    seven-22- sorry for the lag, trying to get the info from one of the engineers for you on this, please be patient.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I'm looking at the new enduro 29er. The wheels are listed as roval 29 alloy disc, 28 mm wide, 32 hole. Front hub, Spec Hi Lo disc 15mm through. Rear hub, Spec Hi Lo disc, 12mm through, 32 hole. Internal width? I'm assuming the hi lo is a basic specialized hub? Looking for some more info. I'm on the beefy side and wonder how they will hold up to New England rocks and roots.
    leeboh- I think you are refering to the Comp model, correct? This is not a Roval wheelset, rather, it's an OE wheelset that uses a Roval rim, so there are a number of differences including hubs, spokes, and the wheels are machine built (Roval wheelsets are all hand built, whether they come on the bike or are purchased aftermarket). Ok, so that being said, the rim width is 24mm inner width. What wheels are you running now, or in the past that have worked well out there?

<100%
    I have a 2012 Roval Control EL (s/n M11AA00431). I broke a spoke (rear drive side) and went to the shop to get a replacement. They told me the wheel uses a 277mm Revolution spoke. They found a couple at a shop in NC and had to have them shipped to CO. No one has these spokes - not Spesh, not shops and not DT Swiss in GJ. I pulled three others out of the drive side and they are all different lengths - 278, 280, and 282. Can you confirm what spokes are supposed to be on this wheel drive and non/drive.

Also, why can't straight pull spokes have oval heads? - it would be much easier to true them

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    I have a 2012 Roval Control EL (s/n M11AA00431). I broke a spoke (rear drive side) and went to the shop to get a replacement. They told me the wheel uses a 277mm Revolution spoke. They found a couple at a shop in NC and had to have them shipped to CO. No one has these spokes - not Spesh, not shops and not DT Swiss in GJ. I pulled three others out of the drive side and they are all different lengths - 278, 280, and 282. Can you confirm what spokes are supposed to be on this wheel drive and non/drive.

Also, why can't straight pull spokes have oval heads? - it would be much easier to true them
    jsj3831- the spoke you are looking for is indeed 277mm, service part# S2026018. we have plenty of them in stock in Salt Lake City. Did you go to a Specialized dealer, and if so, did they actually contact our customer service, or attempt to look up the part number on our service site? As for why you are measuring different length spokes- Just like any bike part, there is a tolerance to the spec dimension, so not every part will measure exactly the spec length. That being said, 282mm is pretty far off. Over time, spokes can stretch, and I'm not sure if that is what is happening here or not. Why can't straight pull spokes have oval heads? They actually could, but it would also require every straight pull hub maker to machine appropriate spoke holes to accept these. It might help resist twisting, but you would still get the spoke "winding up" when you are adding tension since there is quite a bit of length between the nipple and the head. The best thing to do is use a twist resist tool and hold the spoke near the nipple. Granted, these tools are not easy to come by at this point, but we will be bringing one to market this summer. Sorry for the inconvenience you've had to deal with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    leeboh- I think you are refering to the Comp model, correct? This is not a Roval wheelset, rather, it's an OE wheelset that uses a Roval rim, so there are a number of differences including hubs, spokes, and the wheels are machine built (Roval wheelsets are all hand built, whether they come on the bike or are purchased aftermarket). Ok, so that being said, the rim width is 24mm inner width. What wheels are you running now, or in the past that have worked well out there?
    On my 26er Kona, I have a hand built wheel set, hadley hubs to mavic 319's worked well for 8 yrs so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    seven-22- sorry for the lag, trying to get the info from one of the engineers for you on this, please be patient.
    No worries. I'm just grateful to have a contact that will help me out. I suppose it's a testament to the quality of the wheels that this information isn't readily available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    On my 26er Kona, I have a hand built wheel set, hadley hubs to mavic 319's worked well for 8 yrs so far.
    Leeboh- got it. While the engagement won't be as tight as a Hadley, I think the wheels will do ok for you out there. 8 years is quite a long time for a set of mtn wheels if you are riding consistently! you'll notice the extra rim width for sure, especially if you run lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by seven-22 View Post
    Roval Joe,

Great thread and thanks in advance.

I'm rebuilding a set of hubs froma Roval control SL 26" wheelset and need the hub flange diameter and distance from center. The wheels are 2009-ish, white hubs with carbon shell on the front, 24/28 hole.

All the best.

seven-22, I'm kind of in a tight spot here with this one. It's our policy to not give out info to promote building up our components with other systems (spokes/rims, etc), because we only test for the configurations we sell. I know this does sound a bit like a cop out, but you would be surprised by how much small changes can make to how a wheel performs. That being said, if you still want to continue, DT Swiss has a straight pull spoke calculator online that you could try, and it shouldn't be too hard actually measure the hubs you have with a metric caliper. Sorry I can't help you out more.

NedwannaB
    Interested in getting the new Roval Control 29 wheelset and have been lurking on this thread off and on. I hope "not" to need it, but just a kudo for your service input on behalf of all the posters on here Joe!
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-20-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Interested in getting the new Roval Control 29 wheelset and have been lurking on this thread off and on. I hope "not" to need it, but just a kudo for your service input on behalf of all the posters on here Joe!
    JMac47- thanks for the kudos, you will be stoked on those wheels if you end up getting them!

NedwannaB
    They might be overkill with their stout 240# rider weight limit given my 140# stature....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    They might be overkill with their stout 240# rider weight limit given my 140# stature....
    JMac47- all of our carbon wheels have a high rider weight limit, but they all ride differently due to rim construction, spoke spec/spoke count, etc, so don't be put off by the weight limit.

<100%
    that's interesting...so what if I was looking for an XC 29er wheelset that can take the hardest blows? Fast through a rock garden type stuff....I don't normally ride silly low pressures (28 min in the front is the lowest I have ridden).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    that's interesting...so what if I was looking for an XC 29er wheelset that can take the hardest blows? Fast through a rock garden type stuff....I don't normally ride silly low pressures (28 min in the front is the lowest I have ridden).
    jsj3831- if you were looking for the most robust set of XC wheels, I'd personally go wtih the Control Carbon 29. it is a bit heavier than the SL, but stands up to impacts better than the SL's, and is more affordable as well. You won't have any issues at the pressure you're running.

NedwannaB
    JMac47- all of our carbon wheels have a high rider weight limit, but they all ride differently due to rim construction, spoke spec/spoke count, etc, so don't be put off by the weight limit.
    I should rephrase that "I'm sure there will be zero flex felt with my skinny ar$e ridding them".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I should rephrase that "I'm sure there will be zero flex felt with my skinny ar$e ridding them".
    Ha! got it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New question here. Weight difference Roval Control SL 29 vs. Roval Control Carbon 29

Hey Joe!

First of all, I really appreciate the direct approach you are taking towards customers here.

I have two questions regarding the weight/differences between the Roval Control SL 29 vs. the Roval Control Carbon 29 wheels.

As I understand the weight difference between these wheelsets is around 100 g.

1. Where does this weight differcence come from (hubs/rims/spokes)?

2. What exactly is the technical difference between the hubs used (240s vs. 350 internals)?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Christoph
    Last edited by bart_simpson; 05-23-2013 at 09:09 AM.

davidcarson48
    ^^^ Great question.

Also, Joe...

Do the Carbon Control 29 wheels come with the 18T or 36T star ratchet? How about the Carbon Control SL 29s?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hello Joe, Is there any plan for Roval to make a Single Speed Specific wheelset available for purchase? I noticed even the Carve SL come with a casette hub and it's just spaced out. Seems strange to me for a production bike. This question may have been asked before but I didn't want to sift through 5 pages of posts, heh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bart_simpson View Post
    Hey Joe!

First of all, I really appreciate the direct approach you are taking towards customers here.

I have two questions regarding the weight/differences between the Roval Control SL 29 vs. the Roval Control Carbon 29 wheels.

As I understand the weight difference between these wheelsets is around 100 g.

1. Where does this weight differcence come from (hubs/rims/spokes)?

2. What exactly is the technical difference between the hubs used (240s vs. 350 internals)?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Christoph

bart_simpson- cool, glad you guys are finding this helpful! ok, to answer your questions:
    The front hub on Control SL is lighter (and noticeably smaller), the rear hub looks the same between the two wheels, but the SL uses a DT 240 based design, and the Control Carbon uses the DT 350 based design. Both are similar, but the 240 has a little nicer quality bearing and more machining, making it lighter. Spokes are exactly the same between the two wheels (DT Swiss Revolutions w/Pro Lock hex head alloy nipples), so no difference there. The rims are different also, Controls being a little heavier than the SL's, but also more impact resistant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    ^^^ Great question.

Also, Joe...

Do the Carbon Control 29 wheels come with the 18T or 36T star ratchet? How about the Carbon Control SL 29s?

Thanks!
    davidcarson48- all models of Roval mountain wheels for 2012, 2013, and the coming 2014 year will use 36t star ratchets.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    Hello Joe, Is there any plan for Roval to make a Single Speed Specific wheelset available for purchase? I noticed even the Carve SL come with a casette hub and it's just spaced out. Seems strange to me for a production bike. This question may have been asked before but I didn't want to sift through 5 pages of posts, heh.
    austinTRON- I'm not sure on the reason for the Carve spec, but as for Roval wheels coming in a single speed specific configuration, I'm sorry, but this isn't in the plan right now. We can definitely look at it in the future, but it won't be happening soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    bart_simpson- cool, glad you guys are finding this helpful!
    Yes, this is indeed REALLY cool, as it allows to take an educated purchase decision

the rear hub looks the same between the two wheels, but the SL uses a DT 240 based design, and the Control Carbon uses the DT 350 based design. Both are similar, but the 240 has a little nicer quality bearing and more machining, making it lighter.
    OK, understood. What does "nicer quality bearing" mean for real use?
    How is reliability affected in comparison to the 240 hub?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bart_simpson View Post
    Yes, this is indeed REALLY cool, as it allows to take an educated purchase decision

OK, understood. What does "nicer quality bearing" mean for real use?
    How is reliability affected in comparison to the 240 hub?

Thanks again
    It's just a higher grade bearing. In real terms like you are asking, there are hundreds of thousands of these hubs in the field, and we have not seen longevity issues with the 350 bearing compared to the 240 bearing. they both seem to do well, and haven't had complaints. Basically the 240 hub gets you a decent weight savings.

mtbr member
    I just want to say how good it is to see Roval Joe here on the forums putting in some good hours helping customers in real time. Also makes me happy that I am a Specialized rider too. Best customer service there is, even outside of the bike industry, few companies can hold a candle to them. *High Five* joe. Also, I just reeled in a set of DT 240s. I'm going to need a set of hoops to lace up. I have been assuming that I would end up with stan's pretty much from the get-go but I would really like to have some Rovals just to say I have Roval. I'm a 170lb rider and this wheelset will be for XC Racing. I will be running it Single Speed and also geared in the future. Any recommendations? Probly Control 29s? I'm really interested in the Control Carbon 29. Can these be purchased individualy? We've gotten some through the shop before but it was for warranty purposes.
    Last edited by austinTRON; 05-23-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Clarity

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast