Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainHead View Post
    Hi Joe:
    Will the specialized roval bearing tool S125300013 service the REAR hubs as well as the front? If not, is there another tool for servicing the rear hubs?
    Mountainhead- the tool you mention only does the front hubs. For the rear hubs, it takes a DT tool which you can buy from Specialized (PN:S2032002), or DT (PN:HWTXXX00NTK24S).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Roval question: I have the Spec Rumor with the Roval Control 29 wheelset which I believe has an outer rim of 24 and an inner rim of 21.

I am thinking of switching to Roval Control SL carbon 142+ (1350g). Outer rim of 28 and inner rim of 22.

Is the rim depth on the SL carbon the same as the rim depth on the Roval Control?

When will the carbon SL be available?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Will the rear hub of the Roval SL 2014 be compatible with the upcoming Shimano 11s cassette out of the box?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclerDi View Post
    Roval question: I have the Spec Rumor with the Roval Control 29 wheelset which I believe has an outer rim of 24 and an inner rim of 21.

I am thinking of switching to Roval Control SL carbon 142+ (1350g). Outer rim of 28 and inner rim of 22.

Is the rim depth on the SL carbon the same as the rim depth on the Roval Control?

When will the carbon SL be available?
    Thanks
    CycleDi- Sorry, can you be more specific on rim depth? do you mean depth as in top of sidewall to bottom of spoke bed, or something else? If top of sidewall to bottom of spoke bed, yes, there is a difference, the Control SL is a little deeper. We just got 40 sets of Control SL's in our Salt Lake wharehouse, and those should be visible to dealers in the next few days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Will the rear hub of the Roval SL 2014 be compatible with the upcoming Shimano 11s cassette out of the box?
    madskatingco- I'm not at liberty to discuss details about upcoming Shimano products until they are launched publicly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Roval Joe - A friend gave me a Traversee E5 rear wheel that needs to be rebuilt. Hub and rim look good, but his rear derailleur tore some spokes out in a less-than-graceful way.

I know they're straight pull DT spokes, but I'm not sure which lengths to get.

Thanks in advance!

<100%
    Joe posted a very detailed chart earlier in this thread....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    Joe posted a very detailed chart earlier in this thread....
    I'll take a look through it then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi Joe:
    I have some new Roval Traverse SL 29 carbon wheels with the beadless rim hook. I have Specialized Caption Armadillo Elite 29 x 2.0 tires, with tubes, mounted to them. My main ride is on all paved roads, so I run the tire pressure at 60psi for lower rolling resistance on pavement. The tires are rated at 65psi max. I pump up the tires and check the pressure before each ride.

Yesterday I was 4 miles into my ride, on a smooth concrete path, when the rear tire exploded off the rim. There was no puncture in the tire casing. I replaced the tube, inflated with my trail pump, and completed my 28 mile ride without incident.

When I got home, I measured the rear tire pressure and found it to be 45psi (what I had inflated it to with my trail pump).

I have read that the beadless rim hook wheels have been tested at high psi and it was found that the rim fails long before the tire explodes off the rim. Does using a tube compromise the tire's seal with the beadless rims? Is the 60psi inflation pressure responsible for this failure? I know the rim is marked 45psi max, but I believe this is to cushion the rim and protect against rim damage from impacts during trail riding. I have run 60psi with Roval Control SL carbon rims (marked 45psi max) that have a bead hook for road riding for years without incident. Would you expect to have the tire com off the rim with the Roval Traverse 29 beadless rim hook rims running tubes at 60psi? Could this be a tire defect rather than a setup problem? Or is the 60psi the problem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by roosri View Post
    Roval Joe - A friend gave me a Traversee E5 rear wheel that needs to be rebuilt. Hub and rim look good, but his rear derailleur tore some spokes out in a less-than-graceful way.

I know they're straight pull DT spokes, but I'm not sure which lengths to get.

Thanks in advance!
    roosri- sorry for the late reply. hopefully you were able to locate the spoke chart I posted?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey Joe, I heard that that the DT Swiss hubs are laquered in contrast to most other hubs which are anodized. What about the Roval hubs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bart_simpson View Post
    Hey Joe, I heard that that the DT Swiss hubs are laquered in contrast to most other hubs which are anodized. What about the Roval hubs?
    bart- apologies for my delay in response! was out traveling last week and just getting caught up. You heard correctly, DT mostly prefers paint to anodizing. They do this on a lot of their rims as well as hubs. There are a few reasons for this, and if you really want to know why I can explain, but to answer your question, yes, the Roval hubs we used which are manufactured by DT are painted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey Joe.

I have a cannondale scalpel 29" carbon. I now ride with stans arch rims but would like some carbon wheels.

I am thinking of the carbon control sl, 2014.

Would it be possible to convert the front hub to lefty? or could i buy a lefty hub, 28 holes and shift the spoke and rim?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for fielding all these questions. Here's mine:

Just picked up a brand new 2013 s-works epic 29 with the stock Control SL wheels. After the first ride I noticed a lot of front wheel bearing play. Wheel rattles when bounced (not headset). Pulled the end caps and they are perfectly clean and seem to seat properly, bearings are perfect. When I install the front wheel with very light quick release clamp force, there is no play whatsoever. However, as I increase quick release clamping pressure play increases.

It's hard to imagine that the inner race of the bearings could be compressing on the axle, and the axle tube can't be moving or the bearings would begin to bind. Seems like it must the the end caps bowing under pressure.

I've seen other posts talking about similar issues, but nothing that actually details the problem and what is needed to fix it. Did Specialized issue new end caps to address this issue?

Thanks!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The right hand front bearing in my Control SL alloy 26's died today during an XC race.

Pulled it out and wow, there's not a hell of a lot of bearing in these wheels!
    20x27x4mm

mtbr member
    My Roval SL 29 2013 front hub bearings already died after 600km, dry weather only. Bearings are so tiny, but this is supposed to be fixed with the 2014 version.

I already picked up the Roval SL 2014's at Bike Motion at the Specialized boot. They are light, incredible. Really made me wonder about their duarbility. Time will tell!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by billendk View Post
    Hey Joe.

I have a cannondale scalpel 29" carbon. I now ride with stans arch rims but would like some carbon wheels.

I am thinking of the carbon control sl, 2014.

Would it be possible to convert the front hub to lefty? or could i buy a lefty hub, 28 holes and shift the spoke and rim?
    billendk- unfortunately we don't have a conversion for the lefty fork that works with our wheels. you might be able to replace the Roval hub with a lefty version, but you'd most likely have to get new spoke lengths, and it would be a lot of trouble. Front wheels on the new Control SL's are 24h.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Notasfastasmykid View Post
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for fielding all these questions. Here's mine:

Just picked up a brand new 2013 s-works epic 29 with the stock Control SL wheels. After the first ride I noticed a lot of front wheel bearing play. Wheel rattles when bounced (not headset). Pulled the end caps and they are perfectly clean and seem to seat properly, bearings are perfect. When I install the front wheel with very light quick release clamp force, there is no play whatsoever. However, as I increase quick release clamping pressure play increases.

It's hard to imagine that the inner race of the bearings could be compressing on the axle, and the axle tube can't be moving or the bearings would begin to bind. Seems like it must the the end caps bowing under pressure.

I've seen other posts talking about similar issues, but nothing that actually details the problem and what is needed to fix it. Did Specialized issue new end caps to address this issue?

Thanks!
    Notasfastamykid- I have seen issues with some Control SL front wheels where there was play when the wheel was installed and qr tightened, however, nothing specifically like yours, where you get more play with increased clamping force. For the cases I have seen, it was not an endcap issue, rather, it was a bearing installation issue. The problem was fixed by having a dealer or our service center properly replace the bearings. Have your shop do this, or you can contact our customer service direct to have it done that route. If you purchased the bike new, it should be covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The right hand front bearing in my Control SL alloy 26's died today during an XC race.

Pulled it out and wow, there's not a hell of a lot of bearing in these wheels!
    20x27x4mm
    Nordieboy- yes, the goal of this hub was to be very light, as it is an XC race wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    My Roval SL 29 2013 front hub bearings already died after 600km, dry weather only. Bearings are so tiny, but this is supposed to be fixed with the 2014 version.

I already picked up the Roval SL 2014's at Bike Motion at the Specialized boot. They are light, incredible. Really made me wonder about their duarbility. Time will tell!
    madskatingcow- yes, with the new hubs, we have made some major design changes. these include increased size of bearings, more precise machining (this is the first front hub we've done with DT Swiss), a labyrinth system which helps keep water from damaging the bearings, as well as an additional press in seal that is in addition to the standard bearing seals already in the hub. So far results have been very good with these hubs.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    Nordieboy- yes, the goal of this hub was to be very light, as it is an XC race wheel.
    That it is.
    The front wheel with a Mich Wild Race'R Ultimate Advanced is 1,250g.
    My spare wheel with Larsen TT and tube is 2,100g.

mtbr member
    Which OEM Specialized Roval wheels can be converted to us with xx1?
    I picked up an OEM 2012 Control Trail rear wheel for super cheap to use as a spare and it doesn't appear to be convertible. I know the higher end Roval wheels with the DT internals will convert, but what about the Rovals on the "cheaper" models?

I normally run 2013 Traverse SL, but I'm looking for a cheap Aluminum set to run when it is really wet and muddy this winter. I see tons of OEM Rovals for sale on Craigslist and eBay and it would be nice to know what years/models are xx1 compatible.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Which OEM Specialized Roval wheels can be converted to us with xx1?
    I picked up an OEM 2012 Control Trail rear wheel for super cheap to use as a spare and it doesn't appear to be convertible. I know the higher end Roval wheels with the DT internals will convert, but what about the Rovals on the "cheaper" models?

I normally run 2013 Traverse SL, but I'm looking for a cheap Aluminum set to run when it is really wet and muddy this winter. I see tons of OEM Rovals for sale on Craigslist and eBay and it would be nice to know what years/models are xx1 compatible.
    Mr. Lynch- please keep in mind the OE level wheelsets which use a Roval alloy rim and J Bend spokes are not what we consider a Roval wheelset. These are using a Roval rim, but laced into OE level hubs, and are machine built. Same as Specialized has used DT rims in the past, but they are not a DT wheelset. The only wheels we're using on bikes that are XX1 compatible are the actual Roval wheelsets with straight pull spokes, and come on Expert level bikes and above. Basically if you see a used wheelset that is on anything newer than probably model year 2012 or newer and has straight pull spokes, it can be converted to XX1 freehub. Anything with J Bend spokes will not be compatible, with the exception of one wheel that comes on 2014 Enduro Expert Evo. That particular wheel uses a J Bend style DT 350 rear hub, and comes with an 11spd freehub body already installed.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Made an insertion tool and installed 2 tiny bearings in my front wheel.
    It now goes round and round again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

2010 Control EL XC - 29er

Joe

I have a set from a 2010 Epic Marathon and remember seeing a set of adapters 15mm, 20mm plus regular 9mm (not OS) from the site in 2010. It seems the front hub changed in 2011. I cannot get wayback to bring up your 2010 site. Dealers try, but are not able to help even when calling Specialized.

There was an article in twentynineinches.com where they spoke to spechy wheel product manager at time talking about adapters and even photos from 2010.

Do you have part numbers for 15mm adapters for these wheels.

Thanks

Rob

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Roval Front Hub Bearing Tool

Hi Joe:
    I have had the roval front hub bearing tool S125300013
    on order at my LBS since July. Specialized says it is out of stock. Do you have any insight into when it might be available?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad View Post
    Joe

I have a set from a 2010 Epic Marathon and remember seeing a set of adapters 15mm, 20mm plus regular 9mm (not OS) from the site in 2010. It seems the front hub changed in 2011. I cannot get wayback to bring up your 2010 site. Dealers try, but are not able to help even when calling Specialized.

There was an article in twentynineinches.com where they spoke to spechy wheel product manager at time talking about adapters and even photos from 2010.

Do you have part numbers for 15mm adapters for these wheels.

Thanks

Rob
    Rob- PN's for these are: S115900003, and S115900004 (left/right side). your dealer will have to order them, doesn't look like we have many left. From my records, it looks like the hub changed in 2012, and these caps were used in 10/11.

mtbr member
    Roval Joe:

As others have said, thank you for taking the time on this forum. And I realize this question is somewhat similar to previously asked but not exactly so I hope not bad form to post it.

I have a set of control 29 el aluminum rim wheels which I believe came off of a Stumpjumper Epic, probably a 2010 if I had to guess. I have now acquired a set of used Control Trail SL 29 and based on color configuration I am guessing they are 2012: black carbon rims with red "roval" decal (and "CONTROL TRAIL 29 SL" written in tiny white type on a red decal stripe next to the main large "roval" decal). Red spoke nipples as well. I did not receive 20mm adapters and when I tried the adapters from my old aluminum wheels the width is too great to fit on my fork. It looks like the hub body on the new wheels is approximately 1/4" wider than the old wheels, with the additional width coming on the non disc side of the hub if I am looking at it correctly, so obviously the adapters from the old wheels is going to make the fit too wide for a fork.

So, can you please advise what part # adapters I need and whether I only need a new R/drive side (if indeed the width is same for the L/disc side)?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhkvt View Post
    Roval Joe:

As others have said, thank you for taking the time on this forum. And I realize this question is somewhat similar to previously asked but not exactly so I hope not bad form to post it.

I have a set of control 29 el aluminum rim wheels which I believe came off of a Stumpjumper Epic, probably a 2010 if I had to guess. I have now acquired a set of used Control Trail SL 29 and based on color configuration I am guessing they are 2012: black carbon rims with red "roval" decal (and "CONTROL TRAIL 29 SL" written in tiny white type on a red decal stripe next to the main large "roval" decal). Red spoke nipples as well. I did not receive 20mm adapters and when I tried the adapters from my old aluminum wheels the width is too great to fit on my fork. It looks like the hub body on the new wheels is approximately 1/4" wider than the old wheels, with the additional width coming on the non disc side of the hub if I am looking at it correctly, so obviously the adapters from the old wheels is going to make the fit too wide for a fork.

So, can you please advise what part # adapters I need and whether I only need a new R/drive side (if indeed the width is same for the L/disc side)?

Thank you.
    Jhkvt- S125900003 is the part number for the set of 20mm end caps you'll need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Joe:
    on order at my LBS since July. Specialized says it is out of stock. Do you have any insight into when it might be available?
    MountainHead- I'm looking into this give me a day or two. They are showing we have stock, so I'm not sure why they can't be ordered. could be they are held in a separate inventory or something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Joe:
    MountainHead- Sounds like the inventory I am seeing in our system just showed up 2 days ago. Please have your dealer place an order again. if you still run into problems, please let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi Roval Joe,
    I have a pair of 26" Roval Controle SL wheels (same as these --> Specialized Roval Controle SL XC Disc Wheelset Reviews - Mtbr.com ).

Please can you tell me if 15mm adapters are available for the front and if so what part numbers?
    Many Thanks in advance.
    Terry

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rob- PN's for these are: S115900003, and S115900004 (left/right side). your dealer will have to order them, doesn't look like we have many left. From my records, it looks like the hub changed in 2012, and these caps were used in 10/11.
    so wait... a product only 2 years old has already lost Specialized support?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lorduswardus View Post
    Hi Roval Joe,
    I have a pair of 26" Roval Controle SL wheels (same as these --> Specialized Roval Controle SL XC Disc Wheelset Reviews - Mtbr.com ).

Please can you tell me if 15mm adapters are available for the front and if so what part numbers?
    Many Thanks in advance.
    Terry
    Hi Terry, part numbers are: S115900003, and S115900004.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    so wait... a product only 2 years old has already lost Specialized support?
    sandspur- these endcaps are 3 model years old (we are in MY14 now), we have the end caps in stock, and when they run out, more can be ordered (assuming we still have demand for them). Lack of support would mean there were zero in stock, with no plans of re-ordering them. Or even worse, no part number.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Glad I found this thread and good on you Joe for making info so accessible. I have just taken delivery of my 2014 Enduro 29 Expert I like the Traverse wheels that come with it but I made the jump to carbon rimmed wheels recently and would like to continue to use some. So my plan is to put some Derby or light bike carbon rims onto the hubs. Any chance you can give me the spoke length and spec used in the 29 Traverse and also the weight of the hubs and rims so I can get an idea of what weight they will be. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by m_t_b View Post
    Glad I found this thread and good on you Joe for making info so accessible. I have just taken delivery of my 2014 Enduro 29 Expert I like the Traverse wheels that come with it but I made the jump to carbon rimmed wheels recently and would like to continue to use some. So my plan is to put some Derby or light bike carbon rims onto the hubs. Any chance you can give me the spoke length and spec used in the 29 Traverse and also the weight of the hubs and rims so I can get an idea of what weight they will be. Cheers.
    m_t_b- I understand the love for carbon rims, but we do not publish component weights or condone rebuilding our wheels with non original spec. That being said, I have posted a spoke lookup chart in this thread a couple times, you can reference that for info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi Roval Joe, please prove my understanding from pdf that for my Roval EL 29 front wheel I need S125900006 15 mm thruaxle kit. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi Joe!
    I have opportunity to buy Roval Traverse which came on 2012 (or 2013) Spec Enduro. Front hub is Roval 15mm. I have Camber Expert with RS Reba RL dual air with 9mm RWS thru axle. Is there any adapter so I can use those wheels on my bike?
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by leugene View Post
    Hi Roval Joe, please prove my understanding from pdf that for my Roval EL 29 front wheel I need S125900006 15 mm thruaxle kit. Thanks in advance.
    leugene- what year is your wheel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pero_dinamit View Post
    Hi Joe!
    I have opportunity to buy Roval Traverse which came on 2012 (or 2013) Spec Enduro. Front hub is Roval 15mm. I have Camber Expert with RS Reba RL dual air with 9mm RWS thru axle. Is there any adapter so I can use those wheels on my bike?
    Cheers!
    pero_dinamit- the wheels you are interested in buying are compatible with standard 5mm QR (just need to swap the end caps on the front hub), which will work with your fork. you won't be able to use the 9mm RWS, but a standard QR will work fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I realize the hubs and spokes are different, but can you confirm that the Traverse rims from a Stumpjumper Evo are the same as the Rovel Traverse 29?

Specialized Bicycle Components

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjdraw View Post
    I realize the hubs and spokes are different, but can you confirm that the Traverse rims from a Stumpjumper Evo are the same as the Rovel Traverse 29?

Thanks!
    Bjdraw- yes, the rims between those two wheels are the same, just a different graphic application.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hello Roval Joe. This is a great tool, but do you have a chart that shows recommended tire sizes for each Roval wheel-set? At least for your own Specialized Tires. We are all aware one can put multiple tire widths on a given rim, but at least some guidelines as far as mins and max? For example, what would be the min, max and perhaps ideal tire for a Traverse EL for ideal tire shape and bead set? (I know they are are obsolete) and say a newer Traverse and Traverse SL Carbon too? Really like to know. I think the EL are 22mm internally? The SL is like the same. Lastly, do you have any similar charts for your older-gen wheel-sets say 2010? Thank you for your help.

Attachment 785132

Here's a quick reference tool that shows all internal/external rim widths, plus compatibility, spoke spec, etc, for all current wheels in the Roval Mtn lineup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    leugene- what year is your wheel?
    Not sure exactly, it should be 2010 or 2011 MY, it is 32 spokes alu wheels with really big front hub, so I guessed 42mm OD end caps should fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Roval Joe
    Would you verify the 2014 carbon SL rim width - 28/21 per tech sheet or 28/22 per website.
    When will they be available? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Roval Joe
    Would you verify the 2014 carbon SL rim width - 28/21 per tech sheet or 28/22 per website.
    When will they be available? Thanks
    CyclerDi- the new 2014 Control SL's are 22mm inner width. Model year 2013 and prior were 21mm. Can I ask where you saw the tech sheet that showed the '14 Control SL as 21mm inner width? I'd like to fix that misprint.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    CyclerDi- the new 2014 Control SL's are 22mm inner width. Model year 2013 and prior were 21mm. Can I ask where you saw the tech sheet that showed the '14 Control SL as 21mm inner width? I'd like to fix that misprint.
    It was in the tech document that you posted. I think it must have been a 2013 document showing all the wheelset models and specs.

When will the control carbon SL be available?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It was in the tech document that you posted. I think it must have been a 2013 document showing all the wheelset models and specs.

When will the control carbon SL be available?
    ok, thanks for that- yes, that document was referring to model year '13. The first shipment of wheels came in already and sold out, last time I checked there were more coming in November and December. let me check back on that and if that is not the case, I'll post an update here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Good question. Roval was founded on, and continues to be, a "systems approach" idea. The rims are strong and light, the spokes & hubs high-quality, (all laced and trued by hand), and all the pieces are built to work together to make a better wheel. So we don't sell them separately to keep the system intact.

If there is an issue with any piece though, like a rim or even a bearing or nipple, replacements are available through warranty.
    I purchased a set of Carbon Roval's. I mounted them up with new tires and went for a ride. First ride I got a flat. I discovered my sidewall on my NEW tire was torn. I put on another new tire, and something happened. I inspected the new carbon rim and found it was split where the tire bead sits, thus causing the toren sidewall on my tires. I took the rim back expecting to get a new wheel under warranty. NOPE! Specialized would only replace the hoop. I had to pay the bike shop to re-lace my wheel and purchase another $70 tire. I constantly have problems keeping that rim true and I have already replaced a broken spoke and a torn out nipple.
    I met someone on the trail who was riding on Enve carbon wheels. I asked her how she liked them, because I'm so tired of dealing with mine. She told me she had the same problems with the Roval's, and knew of others that had the same issue. She loves her Enve's and highly recommended them to me. I have spent a lot of money on my Roval rims. I'm VERY disappointed in Specialized in how they handled the warranty.
    Can you help me in any way. Or should I just get the Envy’s?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM2u View Post
    I purchased a set of Carbon Roval's. I mounted them up with new tires and went for a ride. First ride I got a flat. I discovered my sidewall on my NEW tire was torn. I put on another new tire, and something happened. I inspected the new carbon rim and found it was split where the tire bead sits, thus causing the toren sidewall on my tires. I took the rim back expecting to get a new wheel under warranty. NOPE! Specialized would only replace the hoop. I had to pay the bike shop to re-lace my wheel and purchase another $70 tire. I constantly have problems keeping that rim true and I have already replaced a broken spoke and a torn out nipple.
    I met someone on the trail who was riding on Enve carbon wheels. I asked her how she liked them, because I'm so tired of dealing with mine. She told me she had the same problems with the Roval's, and knew of others that had the same issue. She loves her Enve's and highly recommended them to me. I have spent a lot of money on my Roval rims. I'm VERY disappointed in Specialized in how they handled the warranty.
    Can you help me in any way. Or should I just get the Envy’s?
    DTM2u- Sorry you had such a bad experience! let me see what I can do to help you out. I'm surprised the shop did not warranty the whole wheel. Can you PM me with the following details: - which shop did you go to (also was this where you purchased the wheels?), and which model of wheel you purchased? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    DTM2u- Sorry you had such a bad experience! let me see what I can do to help you out. I'm surprised the shop did not warranty the whole wheel. Can you PM me with the following details: - which shop did you go to (also was this where you purchased the wheels?), and which model of wheel you purchased? Thanks!

PM sent

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Wheelset Archive?

HEY ROVAL JOE - super cool to have you as a resource on this board.

any chance that specialized has an index of each year's wheelset and the specs on them? Kind of like the bike archive that is up now, but specifically to wheelsets. I am looking at various 142+ Control SL's on the used market, but it has been difficult to tell which years weigh what and when the small changes were made. Same for Control Carbons too I guess, where I am at is trying to decide whether to buy some used older SL's or brand new carbon controls.

If all this info already exists somewhere, sorry for this post. Couldnt find it though...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

any chance that specialized has an index of each year's wheelset and the specs on them? Kind of like the bike archive that is up now, but specifically to wheelsets. I am looking at various 142+ Control SL's on the used market, but it has been difficult to tell which years weigh what and when the small changes were made. Same for Control Carbons too I guess, where I am at is trying to decide whether to buy some used older SL's or brand new carbon controls.

If all this info already exists somewhere, sorry for this post. Couldnt find it though...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey Roval Joe,

would be great to get your help at my problem.

I ride a Enduro S Works SL FSR 2010 with Roval Traverse EL wheels and a Future Stock E160TA Fork. The Axle is 20mm.

Now I bought a Rock Shox Pike RCT3 Solo Air 2014 with a 15mm Axle.

Is there any fitting kit where I can change my front wheel from 20mm Axle to 15mm Axle so that I can use the Pike?

Best regards

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Joe
    I hope you can help!

Bear with me as I am mechanically challenged!

I have a front wheel that uses a 20mm Maxle I have a front wheel with a Roval hub. there is a thick spacer thingy and a thin one, I have managed to lose the thin one!

It seems to stops the maxle pinching the bearing as the wheel doesn't turn when i tighten the lever

Any Idea where I can get another one? My local bike shop says I will need a new wheel!

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hala514 View Post

Thanks!
    Hala514- we don't have something put together like that at this time, maybe in the future though? for reference though, Control Carbon's have not changed since they were introduced, so what you see now is what we have offered. Control SL (I assume you are talking 29", right?) was introduced in model year 2011 at 1450g, then for MY2012, the front hub was modified slightly to make the flanges further apart in order to increase stiffness- no other changes. The product remained basically the same otherwise for 2012. then in 2013 we changed from a mix of Revolution and Aerolite spokes to only Revolution (just an Aesthetic change). For 2014, the wheel is completely new: new rims, new front hub, different spoke count, and the weight is 1370g.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xcgb View Post
    Joe
    I hope you can help!

Bear with me as I am mechanically challenged!

I have a front wheel that uses a 20mm Maxle I have a front wheel with a Roval hub. there is a thick spacer thingy and a thin one, I have managed to lose the thin one!

It seems to stops the maxle pinching the bearing as the wheel doesn't turn when i tighten the lever

Any Idea where I can get another one? My local bike shop says I will need a new wheel!

cheers
    xcgb- Some photos of the wheel (showing both rim and hub) would help out a lot here. Maybe you can PM me with these and I'll see if I can identify which wheelset you have?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by haudenlukas1 View Post
    Hey Roval Joe,

I ride a Enduro S Works SL FSR 2010 with Roval Traverse EL wheels and a Future Stock E160TA Fork. The Axle is 20mm.

Is there any fitting kit where I can change my front wheel from 20mm Axle to 15mm Axle so that I can use the Pike?

Best regards
    haudenlukas1- I'm pretty sure we have a part number for these end caps, give me some time to dig them up and get back to you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hala514- we don't have something put together like that at this time, maybe in the future though? for reference though, Control Carbon's have not changed since they were introduced, so what you see now is what we have offered. Control SL (I assume you are talking 29", right?) was introduced in model year 2011 at 1450g, then for MY2012, the front hub was modified slightly to make the flanges further apart in order to increase stiffness- no other changes. The product remained basically the same otherwise for 2012. then in 2013 we changed from a mix of Revolution and Aerolite spokes to only Revolution (just an Aesthetic change). For 2014, the wheel is completely new: new rims, new front hub, different spoke count, and the weight is 1370g.

Perfect! thanks for the info; I think what I bought is a set of 2012's based on having mixed spokes. (guy i bought them from wasn't sure). They weighed in at 1470 total w/o skewer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by haudenlukas1 View Post
    Hey Roval Joe,

Best regards
    Ok, got the PN's you need: S2030049 is the drive side cap, and S2030050 is the non drive cap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Roval Joe,

Wondering if the MY2009 26" Roval Control SL front hub (typically a white hub, with carbon in the middle?) is convertible to 15mm TA. I believe 2009 was the first year the Roval Control SL E5 set was available....

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hi Joe,

I have a 2012 Specialized 29 comp. I can't keep the rear wheel true. I was looking to upgrade the wheelset - which one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Joe

I just got both adapters S115900003 & 4 and those are not the adapters that fit my hub. Both adapters the OD is way too small to fit my hub. My one OS28 right (non brake) adapter has a 4cm dust seal vs these both are about 3 cm. My ID is different between sides as well. My right has a similar ID to the adapters you sent and my left ID can fit inside the other cap.

It really isn't the $20 I am out, but the month it has taken. Dont you have schematics/drawing of each years wheel and hub parts?

Again 2010 Roval Control El 29er front hub. Hub and rim are black with white stickers and black supercomp spokes. Front right adapter even has 2 flanges, it is very wide cause the bearing is set inside so much. Space inside where spoke heads are so you can move spoke head down enough to change a nipple if needbe I guess.

Specialized 29"ers: Roval Wheels Tech And Interview

Rob

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Name:  LFM01_15mm end cap1.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  3.7 KBName:  LFM01_15mm end cap2.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  3.8 KBLFMO6_end_cap_tech_page2.pdfRob,
    I'm sorry for your wasted time, and realize how frustrating it is to get the wrong product. I'm attaching the images of the endcap for what we show in our system as 2010 end caps for Control EL. Please have a look and confirm this is what you received.

If this is what you received, I am also attaching a schematic for the end caps from the following year (2011), thinking that the model year for the wheel may be incorrect? please have a look at the drawings and let me know if you think these are correct?LFMO6_end_cap_tech_page2.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwaves_us View Post
    Hi Joe,

I have a 2012 Specialized 29 comp. I can't keep the rear wheel true. I was looking to upgrade the wheelset - which one?
    bigwaves_us- a little more info could help me recommend a wheelset for you. Do you have an Epic, Stumpjumper hardtail, Camber, Stumpjumper FSR, or Enduro Comp? Also, maybe you can tell me a little about your riding style, how much you weigh, trail conditions where you ride, etc?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dberndt View Post
    Roval Joe,

Wondering if the MY2009 26" Roval Control SL front hub (typically a white hub, with carbon in the middle?) is convertible to 15mm TA. I believe 2009 was the first year the Roval Control SL E5 set was available....

Thanks
    dberndt- as my correspondence with JacksDad is proving, our records are not super reliable for earlier wheels. From what I'm seeing in our system, it is showing the end caps that I told JacksDad (S115900003, and S115900004, left/right side) he needed are the same for what you need as well to convert your hub to 15mm thru (even though these are two different hubs). Have a look at the photos I posted in response to him to see if these look like they'd work with your hub?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Name:  LFM01_15mm end cap1.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  3.7 KBName:  LFM01_15mm end cap2.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  3.8 KBLFMO6_end_cap_tech_page2.pdfRob,
    I'm sorry for your wasted time, and realize how frustrating it is to get the wrong product. I'm attaching the images of the endcap for what we show in our system as 2010 end caps for Control EL. Please have a look and confirm this is what you received.

If this is what you received, I am also attaching a schematic for the end caps from the following year (2011), thinking that the model year for the wheel may be incorrect? please have a look at the drawings and let me know if you think these are correct?LFMO6_end_cap_tech_page2.pdf
    Joe that pic is what I got, way too small. Off your PDF those are too small as well. I have left as 41mm tall and 35.3 long. 2nd flange is shorter at 36mm; on right I have 31mm tall and 29mm long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad View Post
    Joe that pic is what I got, way too small. Off your PDF those are too small as well. I have left as 41mm tall and 35.3 long. 2nd flange is shorter at 36mm; on right I have 31mm tall and 29mm long.
    Rob,
    ok, based on your info, I was able to find the right end caps. Part numbers are S2030050 and S2030049. The first cap we have in stock (it was used across a couple different hub models), and the second one is out of stock and expected to be available next month. I have our customer service guys looking on return wheels to see if there might be one of these hubs on a returned wheel that they could rob the end cap off of to get you by. This is of course not the answer you were looking for, and I apologize for not being able to help you better. If we come across something, I'll PM you for an address we can ship to.

Trail Rider
    Hi Roval Joe,

I've got a pair of the Roval Control 29 carbons.

I'm having play in the front hub (15mm through axle).

tried another set of end caps, also put the wheel in a different fork, no change.

Installed another wheel in my fork and there is no play, so it seems to be the Roval front hub.

Is this a known problem with this hub, and is there a fix?
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Hi Roval Joe,

I've got a pair of the Roval Control 29 carbons.

I'm having play in the front hub (15mm through axle).

tried another set of end caps, also put the wheel in a different fork, no change.

Installed another wheel in my fork and there is no play, so it seems to be the Roval front hub.

Is this a known problem with this hub, and is there a fix?
    John- I have heard of this on some of the Control SL's, but not the standard Control Carbon wheels. Can you confirm which you have? On the cases I was aware of, the issue was fixed by having a dealer or our service center replace the bearings.

Trail Rider
    Not the SL's. I have the Roval Control carbon 29 (no hook rims)

Do you have part numbers or specifications for the bearings?

thanks
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    LFM07_hub_tech_page.pdf

John- above is the tech info for the hub with part numbers and bearing sizes. I would recommend that you have a shop with the correct tool install the bearings. Also, you've probably already done this, but just in case, have you checked the fork axle/QR to make sure it is tightening adequately? Like I mentioned, I had not heard of this problem with these particular wheels, so just want to be sure. thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey Joe, amazing thread, you have the patience of Job! Props to you and the Big S for doing something like this.

I've been riding/racing the carbon Rovals since '11 with great results. One set of pure race day SL wheels, and two sets of the Trails for daily use on the xc bike and the squishy bike.

I just found this thread and wanted to throw out a bit of info to all those asking about 142+ compatibility with 142 frames. In my experience, most 142 frames will accept a 142+ wheel if you simply sand about 1 mm off the cassette lockring. This leaves more than enough lockring (which isn't structural, anyway) and provides enough clearance to allow the wheel to spin freely (I usually shoot for 20 thousandths clearance between the lockring and the rear dropout).

I've personally done this on Turner and Trek frames for myself and others, and I find it worthwhile to get the stronger triangulation of the 142+ hub design.

Not to mention that I already owned them.

Note that if chain rub is the limiting factor, nothing will change that. Stop now!!!!!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Hey Joe, amazing thread, you have the patience of Job! Props to you and the Big S for doing something like this.

I've been riding/racing the carbon Rovals since '11 with great results. One set of pure race day SL wheels, and two sets of the Trails for daily use on the xc bike and the squishy bike.

I just found this thread and wanted to throw out a bit of info to all those asking about 142+ compatibility with 142 frames. In my experience, most 142 frames will accept a 142+ wheel if you simply sand about 1 mm off the cassette lockring. This leaves more than enough lockring (which isn't structural, anyway) and provides enough clearance to allow the wheel to spin freely (I usually shoot for 20 thousandths clearance between the lockring and the rear dropout).

I've personally done this on Turner and Trek frames for myself and others, and I find it worthwhile to get the stronger triangulation of the 142+ hub design.

Not to mention that I already owned them.

Note that if chain rub is the limiting factor, nothing will change that. Stop now!!!!!
    Kosmo- glad you're stoked on the product, thanks for contributing!

Trail Rider
    quick update:

yes, I did make sure the 15mm skewer was tight (even excessively tightening the skewer would not remove play)

Replacing the non-drive side bearing solved the issue.

thanks for your help and this thread Joe.
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello Roval Joe,

can you help me please and tell me the part number for the Control Carbon 29 (MY14) end caps for 135 mm QR.

Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by terence1 View Post
    Hello Roval Joe,

can you help me please and tell me the part number for the Control Carbon 29 (MY14) end caps for 135 mm QR.

Thanks a lot
    Terence1- I'm not totally sure we have a service part number for 135mm, for a few reasons:
    - our AM wheels all come with these end caps
    - the majority of our OE wheels are 142+ which are not compatible with 135

however, if you need to get a set quickly, this is a standard DT part (PN: HWGXXX0001528S) that should be readily available. When the holiday is over I can check with our customer service guys to see if we carry these also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi Roval Joe -

I have a set of control's which I had fast trak's tubeless mounted to for the last two months (with zero problems - sealed right up). I wanted to switch to something more knobby for the winter. So i moved my fast traks over to my control SL's which also mounted up instantly with no issues.

Here's the problem: I tried mounting up Maxxis Ignitors on the Control's. But I am getting HUGE leaks through all the spokes and the base of the valve stem. I don't get it - there was zero problems with the 2bliss fast traks. The control's have the brownish 2bliss ready tape on the inside - but i did notice that the control SL's i have have some other blue rim tape on the insides. Also the brown rim tape doesnt go all the way to the edges of the rim.

What gives???

I noticed some others on the intertoobs are having similar problems, but i didn't see a resolution. I am thinking it has something to do with needing "wider" rim tape? Maybe the maxxis bead is not as thick so it isn't sitting on the tape whereas the fast traks are?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    nevermind... i thought about this some more and decided it was probably the base of the valve stem core leaking, and then this air is just going all around the rim. So i wrapped the base of the valve stem with some teflon tape and it has 90% improved the situation. Hoping the stans will seal up the small leak which is still remaining. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hala514 View Post
    nevermind... i thought about this some more and decided it was probably the base of the valve stem core leaking, and then this air is just going all around the rim. So i wrapped the base of the valve stem with some teflon tape and it has 90% improved the situation. Hoping the stans will seal up the small leak which is still remaining. We'll see.
    hala514- sorry for the lag. You were right about the seal between the valve stem and rim strip probably being the culprit. Hopefully you were able to get it to seal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    nope. can't get it to seal - not a gross leak, but goes flat in about 5 mins. Taken it apart several times, ended up scratching the paint around the locknut tightening it, and finally gave up. Not really sure what to do next, was going to take it to the bike shop to see if they can do anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've not had that bad a problem, but I did swap the valve stems for some Stan's ones which are completely round above the seal - the ones that came with the wheels had a rectangular rubber block above the seal and if it twisted the corners would foul on the rim where the profile rises either side of the centre channel, and I didn't want to take a chance that it might make it harder to get a good seal.

One thing I know people sometimes do if the valve stem leaks is to put silicone sealant around the rubber part on the stem before you fit it to the rim so there's a good bead of it all round the seal, then wait till it sets before you go any further. Might be worth a try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hala,

as Corsair said you can try and put a touch of sealant around the rubber part of the valve. What I have used there is just good ol' rubber cement. Before you put the valve in, run a small bead of the stuff around the rubber part of the valve, where you know it is going to make contact with the rim/tape surface. Carefully put it through the hole without smudging, put the nut on it and tighten it up....just finger tight. No need to wrench the valves on, as this causes more deformation and problems.

The nice thing about the rubber cement is it is easily removed, and it also sets way faster than silicone etc. The main point of it is to just supplement the rubber base gasket on the valve.

I'm not familiar with the roval rims strips, but my (possibly way off) understanding is they don't adhere to the rim, but rather are air tight and seal between themselves and the tire interface? Is that right Joe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Hala,

as Corsair said you can try and put a touch of sealant around the rubber part of the valve. What I have used there is just good ol' rubber cement. Before you put the valve in, run a small bead of the stuff around the rubber part of the valve, where you know it is going to make contact with the rim/tape surface. Carefully put it through the hole without smudging, put the nut on it and tighten it up....just finger tight. No need to wrench the valves on, as this causes more deformation and problems.

The nice thing about the rubber cement is it is easily removed, and it also sets way faster than silicone etc. The main point of it is to just supplement the rubber base gasket on the valve.

I'm not familiar with the roval rims strips, but my (possibly way off) understanding is they don't adhere to the rim, but rather are air tight and seal between themselves and the tire interface? Is that right Joe?
    jochribs- yeah, the rim strip just seals between the tire/strip, no adhesives. One other possibility (although unlikely) is if the strip was damaged somehow in changing tires. This is something I have not seen, but could be a possibility. We have had some instances where the rim strips were actually installed incorrectly at the factory on the bike (not centered or folded over on themselves), and when the OE tube in installed and inflated, it creates a crease on the strip which will make it almost impossible to seal once you straighten it out and set it up tubeless.

hala- some good suggestions from Corsair/jochribs, keep us updated. thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Joe, I was going to bring that up too. I remember the red ones being snarled like that too while I was at a shop for a bit a couple years ago. I didn't know if the knew printed ones were the same sort of thing. One thing he could try if this is the issue is to slip a round shafted screwdriver or a pen etc, under the tape but resting on top of the rims sidewalls, and run it back and forth under the tape while heating the tape with a blowdryer. It may help to get that crease out if it's there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi Joe,
    Can you provide me with the ERD for your new Fatbike rims. I have one coming in soon and I want to lace in a hub that accepts XD/XX1 freehub body since the stock hub does not.

Thanks for your help,
    Scott

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Can you provide me with the ERD for your new Fatbike rims. I have one coming in soon and I want to lace in a hub that accepts XD/XX1 freehub body since the stock hub does not.

Thanks for your help,
    Scott
    Hi Scott- I'm not involved with these wheels, but was able to get some info from the team that develops our Fat Bikes. Attached is info on the wheel for you, but also note that Novotech actually does offer an 11spd freehub body for this hub. It is not something that we carry, but you could contact the distributor from the link below. It might be easier than rebuilding a wheel?
    DISTRIBUTORS - Novatec

0000037487_R1.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi Scott- I'm not involved with these wheels, but was able to get some info from the team that develops our Fat Bikes. Attached is info on the wheel for you, but also note that Novotech actually does offer an 11spd freehub body for this hub. It is not something that we carry, but you could contact the distributor from the link below. It might be easier than rebuilding a wheel?
    DISTRIBUTORS - Novatec

0000037487_R1.pdf
    That's great news.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey joe can the 142+ hub be converted to a regular 142 on the roval traverse wheelsets.thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi Roval Joe - curious to know if there is a significant handling advantage with carbon wheels over aluminum when running low tire pressures on high volume tires? I run 16 psi on a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front tire and mid-twenties psi on Specialized Purgatory 2.2 rear on ZTR ARCH EX rims on a Niner Jet 9 RDO used for trail riding in SF Bay Area and Tahoe. Aside from weight advantage of the carbon rims, would there be a noticeable handling advantage running a large volume tire at low pressure or does all that soft rubber minimize the difference in stiffness between carbon and aluminum. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 65mtn View Post
    Hey joe can the 142+ hub be converted to a regular 142 on the roval traverse wheelsets.thanks
    65mtn- sorry for my lag in response- I was out for the holidays. you cannot convert a 142+ hub to standard 142mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_mtn View Post
    Hi Roval Joe - curious to know if there is a significant handling advantage with carbon wheels over aluminum when running low tire pressures on high volume tires? I run 16 psi on a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front tire and mid-twenties psi on Specialized Purgatory 2.2 rear on ZTR ARCH EX rims on a Niner Jet 9 RDO used for trail riding in SF Bay Area and Tahoe. Aside from weight advantage of the carbon rims, would there be a noticeable handling advantage running a large volume tire at low pressure or does all that soft rubber minimize the difference in stiffness between carbon and aluminum. Thanks.
    mike_mtn: also sorry for the lag in response, thanks for being patient. The biggest notice on carbon wheels is how light and snappy they feel compared to a similar dimension alloy rim. If you plan on using the same tires you running now on some carbon rims, you would still feel that difference. Since the wheels are lighter, they will spin up (accelerate) faster, and you'll probably also notice that things like quick turning changes will be a bit easier. I must say, 16psi is pretty low- I assume you are not having any issues with your front tire squirming on you in turns now? How about impact damage to the rim- any dings/dents? for the SF area, we don't have too many rocks (at least in the south bay), but in Tahoe there are certainly some rocks to hit, so I'm just curious. thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    65mtn- sorry for my lag in response- I was out for the holidays. you cannot convert a 142+ hub to standard 142mm.
    But in many, many cases it will work in a 142 frame. Width dimension is the same for both, the cassette on the + just sits ~2mm to the outboard side. Many bikes are fine with this, and most of those that are not WILL work if you simply sand/machine about 1 mm off of the cassette lockring.

But make sure the chain doesn't hit the seatstay. That is an issue that really cannot easily be remedied.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

control 29sl 135 to 142

Roval joe, I have the 2011 or 2012 control sl 29 carbon wheels.
    Am looking to swap the rr from 135qr to 142x12 since I am getting
    a new sworks stumpy frame. Do I just use the dt swiss part HWYXXX0002216S conversion kit or is there a different one I need? Also how can I tell if these are the 2011 or 2012 wheels, is there a difference?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    mike_mtn: also sorry for the lag in response, thanks for being patient. The biggest notice on carbon wheels is how light and snappy they feel compared to a similar dimension alloy rim. If you plan on using the same tires you running now on some carbon rims, you would still feel that difference. Since the wheels are lighter, they will spin up (accelerate) faster, and you'll probably also notice that things like quick turning changes will be a bit easier. I must say, 16psi is pretty low- I assume you are not having any issues with your front tire squirming on you in turns now? How about impact damage to the rim- any dings/dents? for the SF area, we don't have too many rocks (at least in the south bay), but in Tahoe there are certainly some rocks to hit, so I'm just curious. thanks!
    Hi Joe: thank you for the information, very helpful. Figured that carbon wheels would spin up quicker with the same tires and you answered my question on the handling advantage with the quick turning changes being a bit easier. Regarding your questions about the Maxxis Ardent EXO 29x2.4 front tire run at 16 psi having any tire squirming or rim dings/dents - no problems over the last year. I ride this bike 2-4 days a week. When I first mounted the front tire I started with psi in the mid-twenties and kept dropping it until I found the optimum handling pressure at 16 psi. I weigh 160 w/o gear. The tire needs to be leaned over pretty aggressively in corners to engage the side knobs. I can hear my tires and rims making contact with rocks, especially in Tahoe, and see some scrapes on both the rim and tire but no tire squirming or rim dings/dents yet. No flats yet either, knock on wood. Can the Roval Control 29 Carbon and the Control SL 29 wheelsets handle the 16 psi? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    Roval joe, I have the 2011 or 2012 control sl 29 carbon wheels.
    Am looking to swap the rr from 135qr to 142x12 since I am getting
    a new sworks stumpy frame. Do I just use the dt swiss part HWYXXX0002216S conversion kit or is there a different one I need? Also how can I tell if these are the 2011 or 2012 wheels, is there a difference?

Thanks
    Peabody- the DT part number you show should be the correct one, I cross referenced it on the DT website. Since the hub is based of the 240 design, These end caps will work fine. From my records, 2012 was the first year we did these wheels in 29", so I'm guessing you probably have 2012?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_mtn View Post
    Hi Joe: thank you for the information, very helpful. Figured that carbon wheels would spin up quicker with the same tires and you answered my question on the handling advantage with the quick turning changes being a bit easier. Regarding your questions about the Maxxis Ardent EXO 29x2.4 front tire run at 16 psi having any tire squirming or rim dings/dents - no problems over the last year. I ride this bike 2-4 days a week. When I first mounted the front tire I started with psi in the mid-twenties and kept dropping it until I found the optimum handling pressure at 16 psi. I weigh 160 w/o gear. The tire needs to be leaned over pretty aggressively in corners to engage the side knobs. I can hear my tires and rims making contact with rocks, especially in Tahoe, and see some scrapes on both the rim and tire but no tire squirming or rim dings/dents yet. No flats yet either, knock on wood. Can the Roval Control 29 Carbon and the Control SL 29 wheelsets handle the 16 psi? Thanks again.
    Mike_mtn: thanks for the info! If you are not getting any flats, and your Arch rims are not getting dented up from rock impacts, then you won't have any problem with the Control 29 Carbon wheels. Alloy rims will dent before a carbon rim cracks, so that's why I was asking. The Control 29's are more resistant to impact damage also than the Control Trail SL's because of the way the rim is manufactured, and since they are a better deal price wise, I'd suggest getting those. They are also 1mm wider(22mm inner width) than the Trail SL's, so that will help shoulder that large 2.4 tire you have on the front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Peabody- the DT part number you show should be the correct one, I cross referenced it on the DT website. Since the hub is based of the 240 design, These end caps will work fine. From my records, 2012 was the first year we did these wheels in 29", so I'm guessing you probably have 2012?

They came on 2011 sworks bikes, and a spoke chart you listed somewhere in this thread stated 2011 was the first year. Mine have the mixture of black revos and red aerolites which were 2011/2012....the difference was something was changed on the
    front hub causing a change in spoke lengths between the years. I want to get rid of the red aerolites and just have all black spokes which is the reason I'm asking how to identify between the 2 yrs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    They came on 2011 sworks bikes, and a spoke chart you listed somewhere in this thread stated 2011 was the first year. Mine have the mixture of black revos and red aerolites which were 2011/2012....the difference was something was changed on the
    front hub causing a change in spoke lengths between the years. I want to get rid of the red aerolites and just have all black spokes which is the reason I'm asking how to identify between the 2 yrs.
    OK, you are right. I was referencing bills of materials, and the dates on those must be wrong. From looking at bike archive images, the 11/12's were the same. In '13, the hub changed in that we pushed the non disc side spoke flange out more to gain extra stiffness. This is why the spoke length changed, and that year we went to all black spokes, Revolutions only.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast