Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceharrier View Post
    Thanks. I did see a thread elsewhere with someone from Specialized saying that part number was no longer available. Is that mistaken?
    spaceharrier- after discussing with customer service this AM, the post you saw in that other thread was a mistake. We do have these in stock, and any dealer should be able to order them. If you experience problems in getting them, please let me know and I can help to clear up any confusion at the shop level. thanks for pointing this out!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Great, thanks. Asked my LBS to order some on Friday hoping you'd say that

mtbr member
    Roval Joe:

Is there any difference on the rim between the Control 29 SL and Control Trail SL 29 or are there differences only in the spokes (Supercomp vs. Revolution) and hubs?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Roval Joe,
    I am looking for a set of wheels for my incoming nomad. When will the Traverse SL be available for purchase?
    Frame will be here in a month, and I have a mate going to the US in July so hopefully the traverse SL will be out by then.
    Cheers
    Rich

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Portti View Post
    Roval Joe:

Is there any difference on the rim between the Control 29 SL and Control Trail SL 29 or are there differences only in the spokes (Supercomp vs. Revolution) and hubs?
    Portti- these are the same rims, the spoke/hub spec is different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke View Post
    Roval Joe,
    I am looking for a set of wheels for my incoming nomad. When will the Traverse SL be available for purchase?
    Frame will be here in a month, and I have a mate going to the US in July so hopefully the traverse SL will be out by then.
    Cheers
    Rich
    Hey Rich- we'll have more of these wheels arriving at the end of May, so your buddy should be able to get some then. Not every shop will have them, so it might be smart to contact the shop ahead of time to make sure they will bring them in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    Portti- these are the same rims, the spoke/hub spec is different.
    Thanks for the reply! Very helpful.

I have one follow-up question too. Do I understand correctly that the DT Swiss XX1 freehub kits will fit these wheels (Control 29 SL and Control Trail SL 29)? If I have a non-Specialized bike with 142x12 mm rear axle then the DT Swiss XX1 142x12 freehub kit would fit those Roval wheels?

Rotor kit MTB Sram XD for XX1 142/12 mm TA HWYAAX00S3188S
    DT Swiss - Rotor kits MTB
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Portti View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Very helpful.

I have one follow-up question too. Do I understand correctly that the DT Swiss XX1 freehub kits will fit these wheels (Control 29 SL and Control Trail SL 29)? If I have a non-Specialized bike with 142x12 mm rear axle then the DT Swiss XX1 142x12 freehub kit would fit those Roval wheels?

Rotor kit MTB Sram XD for XX1 142/12 mm TA HWYAAX00S3188S
    DT Swiss - Rotor kits MTB
    Portti, yes, DT XX1freehub kits will fit these wheels, you just need to make sure you're getting the right one. I posted the part numbers earlier in this thread, just check that document that I posted and it will explain which part number you need. The end cap is specific to which wheel/axle settup you are uisng.

AOK
    mtbr member

Roval questions?

Joe -- I have a set of Roval Control EL wheels that are a few years old and I was wondering if the front can be converted to 20mm TA. and if so, what are the part numbers for the 20mm end caps?

The hub appears to be part # 110901 (see photo).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Joe -- I have a set of Roval Control EL wheels that are a few years old and I was wondering if the front can be converted to 20mm TA. and if so, what are the part numbers for the 20mm end caps?

The hub appears to be part # 110901 (see photo).

Thanks!

AOK- the Control EL's were QR and 15mm compatible, but not 20mm. These were geared towards XC riding, so we figured the 20mm thru axle was overkill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Roval Control 29 Carbon wheels use DT Prolock nipples. These are brass and should help avoid the alloy nipple corrosion problems Enve was experiencing. Another good reason for looking at these.
    Last edited by eb1888; 05-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Control Trail sl 29 and the Traverse sl 29? I know about the small weight difference and 1mm internal width. The Control Trail is on the s-works Stumpjumper 29 FSR and the Traverse is going to come on the s-works Enduro 29. I want one or the other for a Santa Cruz LTc. Thanks for your help.

davidcarson48

Re: Roval questions?

Joe:

Are the $1300 Carbon Control 29 wheels stronger than the $1700 Carbon Control SL 29 wheels? I've heard the no-hook rims are stronger than the rims with a bead hook. True?

I'm 210 pounds ready to ride on my Giant Anthem and ride rocky terrain in NJ. Thoughts on which make more sense? I was all for three lighter SL wheels but not at the expense of durability.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Roval Control 29 Carbon wheels use DT Prolock nipples. These are brass and should help avoid the alloy nipple corrosion problems Enve was experiencing. Another good reason for looking at these.
    eb1888- thanks for helping inform people! one thing to clarify though is that while we do use Prolock nipples, they are the alloy versions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqmach26 View Post
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Control Trail sl 29 and the Traverse sl 29? I know about the small weight difference and 1mm internal width. The Control Trail is on the s-works Stumpjumper 29 FSR and the Traverse is going to come on the s-works Enduro 29. I want one or the other for a Santa Cruz LTc. Thanks for your help.
    pdqmach26- the Traverse SL 29 rim is a differnt animal than the Control Trail SL 29 in that the Traverse has no bead hook, and also has a differnt construction. Because the Traverse rim has no bead hook, continuous carbon fiber layers are run across the sidewall/rim bed area, creating more impact resistance, as well as being stiffer. What wheel is right for you kind of depends on your riding style/weight/riding conditions, etc. If you are a bit bigger, have an aggressive riding style, and ride in rocky/rough conditions, you might opt for the Traverse since they are very tough wheels. If you are lighter, don't hit stuff hard and don't ride in rough areas, then the Control Trail's would work for you. And if you are somewhere in between, the Control Carbon 29's would be an option also, as they have the same rim construction as the Traverse SL 29, but with a bit lighter layup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Joe:

Are the $1300 Carbon Control 29 wheels stronger than the $1700 Carbon Control SL 29 wheels? I've heard the no-hook rims are stronger than the rims with a bead hook. True?

I'm 210 pounds ready to ride on my Giant Anthem and ride rocky terrain in NJ. Thoughts on which make more sense? I was all for three lighter SL wheels but not at the expense of durability.

Thanks!
    davidcarson48- the Control Carbon 29 wheels are more impact resistant than the Control SL 29's, but at the expense of some weight. There are thousands of customers running Control SL's out there with no troubles, it just depends on your riding style, how rough the trails are that you ride, what kind of tires you run (light XC casing vs more durable trail/all mtn style casing), etc. based on your weight and terrain, you might be better served with the Control 29 Carbon wheels. See one or two posts above for a little explanation on rim differences.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    pdqmach26- the Traverse SL 29 rim is a differnt animal than the Control Trail SL 29 in that the Traverse has no bead hook, and also has a differnt construction. Because the Traverse rim has no bead hook, continuous carbon fiber layers are run across the sidewall/rim bed area, creating more impact resistance, as well as being stiffer. What wheel is right for you kind of depends on your riding style/weight/riding conditions, etc. If you are a bit bigger, have an aggressive riding style, and ride in rocky/rough conditions, you might opt for the Traverse since they are very tough wheels. If you are lighter, don't hit stuff hard and don't ride in rough areas, then the Control Trail's would work for you. And if you are somewhere in between, the Control Carbon 29's would be an option also, as they have the same rim construction as the Traverse SL 29, but with a bit lighter layup.
    Thanks for all your answers! I am 185lbs and 52 years old so I don't go to crazy. Do any of the above mentioned rims have an advantage or disadvantage running tubeless? I use 2.35 or 2.4 aggressive style tires. Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    pdqmach26- all the wheels above mount up tubeless the same way, and are very easy to set up. Glad I could help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    eb1888- thanks for helping inform people! one thing to clarify though is that while we do use Prolock nipples, they are the alloy versions.

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.
    This thread discusses the corrosion on the Enve wheels and alloy nipples. They have changed to brass. Your lifetime warranty would cover nipples without reservation in case something comes up I take it .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.
    This thread discusses the corrosion on the Enve wheels and alloy nipples. They have changed to brass. Your lifetime warranty would cover nipples without reservation in case something comes up I take it .
    eb1888- thanks for the link, I had seen that awhile back, and checked with our customer service guys who reported they had not seen many wheels coming back with corrosion like this. I will check back with them again and see if this is still the case. Regarding warranty, ours is very similar to Enve's in that it covers manufacturing defects, like an incorrectly molded rim, a defective freehub body etc, and not nipple corrosion specifically. It sounds like we need to do some research and 1)find out how many of our wheels are having this problem, and 2)what we can do to solve it. As pointed out in the Enve thread, switching to brass nipples could be a quick fix. Are you specifically having trouble with a set of our carbon wheels, and if so, maybe you could let me know some specifics (how long you've had the wheels, are you running tubeless and what sealant if so)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    eb1888- Are you specifically having trouble with a set of our carbon wheels, and if so, maybe you could let me know some specifics (how long you've had the wheels, are you running tubeless and what sealant if so)?
    I'm running my own build of ArchEx/SuperComp/DT with a recent change to brass nipples after alloys are not tuneable this year. And I am looking to upgrade for a new bike build. I like to make choices that avoid future problems. I wouldn't be too comfortable with alloy nipples for a carbon wheel build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    eb1888- ok, understand. One question, if I understand you correctly, you had corrosion problems with alloy nipples in your alloy Stans rims, and switched to brass? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Roval Joe,

Great thread and thanks in advance.

I'm rebuilding a set of hubs froma Roval control SL 26" wheelset and need the hub flange diameter and distance from center. The wheels are 2009-ish, white hubs with carbon shell on the front, 24/28 hole.

All the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    eb1888- ok, understand. One question, if I understand you correctly, you had corrosion problems with alloy nipples in your alloy Stans rims, and switched to brass? Thanks for the help.
    Zero of the type of galvanic corrosion I pictured on the alloy nipples used in the Enve carbon wheel build. My problem was difficulty freeing the alloy nipples from the stainless spoke. Because that wasn't going to improve over the wheel life I made the choice to change now to avoid future problems.
    The galvanic corrosion I pictured results from the manufacturers choice of matrials and isn't something a user can avoid with proper care.
    If the manufacturer insists on the material and the corrosion destroys the product I see that as a defect in the manufacturing process.
    I wouldn't buy into that even with warranty coverage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm looking at the new enduro 29er. The wheels are listed as roval 29 alloy disc, 28 mm wide, 32 hole. Front hub, Spec Hi Lo disc 15mm through. Rear hub, Spec Hi Lo disc, 12mm through, 32 hole. Internal width? I'm assuming the hi lo is a basic specialized hub? Looking for some more info. I'm on the beefy side and wonder how they will hold up to New England rocks and roots.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast