Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hey Roval Joe I want to buy a 2013 control sl 29 wheelset but I want the red ones with black letters like the ones that come in the black s-works sram xx1 stumpy ht!! If u go to the specy site u only can choose the white with black letters and the classic red with white letters!! HOW can I get that color?? even my LBS canīt choose that color!!! thanks

mtbr member

the color

The roval control sl wheelset that I want is this color
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roval questions?-aroto.png  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi Joe, same question but on the Carbon Controls (beadless) Want red for my Camber EVO. Not interested in the white. shows to much and looks worn faster. But moslty, I ride during deer season here (feels like a holiday) and although most hunters are responsable, I still don't like the idea of white on my bike.

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwrider View Post
    ok so on my new/used roval sl wheelset im having an endcap adapter prob.
    the wheels are carbon rim black and red control sl's and proly 2011..
    im using q/r front and rear on my 2010 sw stumpjumper..
    front has spesh fork which i think uses oversized caps..

it seems that the previous owner had a fox fork with q/r caps which i
    think would work anyway... but the front cap on the non disk side is rubbing
    the hub and seems too big for the hub....?

now i have my stock sl's, which are aluminum rims but everything else seems to
    be the same as my new carbon fiber's. the adaptor from these on the front non disk
    side seems to be the right fit and is longer horizontally so sits onto hub better...
    but also smaller diameter so doesnt rub the hub and works fine.

are there different hub adaptors for different years? are my older sl's the same hubs?
    i found a really good endcap chart part number somewhere but cant find in no more..
    any help?? thanks!
    mtbwrider- depends on the model of the hub, but yes in some cases there are different end caps for different years. For your particular situation, if your carbon rim wheelset is indeed 2011, and your alloy rim SL wheelset has a carbon hubshell, then the end caps should be the same between the two. In 2012 the hub changed slightly in that the non drive side flange was moved outward slightly and bearing position was modified to increase wheel stiffness, and in turn, the non drive side end cap had to chane a bit to accomodate. the diameter did not change, but the width of the end cap did decrease some. You can do a quick check to see if you have the right end cap by measuring from one end of the end cap flange to the other end cap flange (installed of course), to make sure that it is 100mm. Front QR dropout distance for mtn bikes is 100mm. If the measurement you get is significantly longer than this, then you'd need a different end cap. If it turns out you need a different end cap, maybe send me a PM with some photos so I can help get you sorted easier?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andresco50 View Post
    Hey Roval Joe I want to buy a 2013 control sl 29 wheelset but I want the red ones with black letters like the ones that come in the black s-works sram xx1 stumpy ht!! If u go to the specy site u only can choose the white with black letters and the classic red with white letters!! HOW can I get that color?? even my LBS canīt choose that color!!! thanks
    Andresco50 & Stevebiker- sorry guys, but these are OE only colorways (they only come on wheels used on our bikes). We try to keep it simple for AM and pick a color that will go with most paint schemes, but obviously we can't please everyone 100% of the time. We used to only offer red for AM wheels, but we got a lot of hate for it since red is a pretty isolating color.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801 View Post
    Joe, I am going to be getting some roval's for my p3 that I use for dj and BMX, I am a fairly smooth rider and would like to have a light set of wheels, I am considering the Control SL's but fear they might not be as durable as I need, dont wanna fork over the dough and have them fail. Do you think they are out of the question? Its either those or the Traverse SL's. I am sure the Traverse SL's will hold, but would like lighter if I can have it.

Thanks
    ronnyg801- while the Control SL's would certainly lighten up your P3, they are totally innapropriate for dirt jumping, no matter how smooth you are. These are designed for XC racing, and not for taking on dirt jumps, so I'd hate to see you waste your money on them and be let down. If you're light and smooth, the Traverse SL's would probably be fine for what you're doing. Just keep in mind that no matter what wheel you're running (alloy or carbon), if you case a big jump hard enough, wheels are going to get damaged.

mtbr member
    I got a local trail that is pretty rough on wheels (Rocky Ridge in San Jose if your in San Jose). I tend to dent up, crack, flat spot aluminum rims, but I'm not hucking or downhilling. It is just a rocky trail that is hard on bikes. If I crack a carbon rim would that be covered under warranty?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Roval Joe
    First, your responses are very much appreciated.

Another question concerning the carbon controls (beadless). I am looking at these for my new Camber EVO (sweet bike BTW). I don't see a 142+ version listed. What effect will the non 142+ version have on shifting and wear on the drive train in the long run? I realize it doesn't make economic sense to offer to many options, but to be honest, between the lack of 142+ and color option, I may not consider these.

One of my other options (out of my price range I think) is the Control SLs (race). My riding weight is 170 LBS and I ride trail/all mountain. Mostly smoother trails with some rougher trails with no big drops. My main concern is actually running a stick through the spokes. I'm not intrested in the Trail SLs as for the money, I would want to shed some wt.
    Comments?

Thanks again
    Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjosedre View Post
    I got a local trail that is pretty rough on wheels (Rocky Ridge in San Jose if your in San Jose). I tend to dent up, crack, flat spot aluminum rims, but I'm not hucking or downhilling. It is just a rocky trail that is hard on bikes. If I crack a carbon rim would that be covered under warranty?
    sanjosedre- nice name! yeah, I know the trail, and ride it once in awhile. Definitely can be hard on rims. To be clear, impact damage to a carbon rim would be treated the same as an alloy rim, so unless there was a manufacturing defect in the rim (not molded properly, etc), the damage would not be covered under warranty. Can I ask what rims/tires/tire pressure you are running currently, and how much you weigh? I can recommend which carbon wheel model would be appropriate based on this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker View Post
    Roval Joe
    First, your responses are very much appreciated.

Another question concerning the carbon controls (beadless). I am looking at these for my new Camber EVO (sweet bike BTW). I don't see a 142+ version listed. What effect will the non 142+ version have on shifting and wear on the drive train in the long run? I realize it doesn't make economic sense to offer to many options, but to be honest, between the lack of 142+ and color option, I may not consider these.

One of my other options (out of my price range I think) is the Control SLs (race). My riding weight is 170 LBS and I ride trail/all mountain. Mostly smoother trails with some rougher trails with no big drops. My main concern is actually running a stick through the spokes. I'm not intrested in the Trail SLs as for the money, I would want to shed some wt.
    Comments?

Thanks again
    Steve
    Stevebiker- no problem, glad everyone is using this as a resource to understand the product better!

ok, to answer your questions, there is no difference in drivetrain performance/wear over time with 142mm vs 142+ wheels. The only difference performance wise between the 142+ and 142 is that you gain about 10% stiffness from 142+ because the hub flanges are slightly further apart. If you are considering Control 29 Carbon wheels, these are extremely stiff wheels to begin with, so based on your weight/riding area, I don't think it's really an issue. Really the only issue at this point should be whether you can live with the color or not.

I would not recommend the Control SL's for what you are doing, as they are more XC focused and even though you're not always riding rough trails, you might be let down by them.

My recommendation is if you can bring yourself to live with the white graphic, you and your wallet would be much better served with the Control Carbons. One thing to consider, and this is a pretty far stretch, but if your local Specialized dealer has a bike in stock (2013 Epic Marathon or SJ HT Marathon) with the red wheels on it, you might ask if they would be interested in selling you those and they can replace with the white graphic. Occassionally I have heard of shops doing something like this, but it is a pretty big ask, and they would be going out of their way to do this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just wanted to say that I have been riding and racing the Control Carbons for awhile now (just about 600 miles) and they have been absolutely flawless. No issues at all with tires staying seated on the rim and the wheels are still as true as the day I put them on the bike. The rims hold up to impacts very well and I think they strike the perfect balance between weight, durability and price.

I use to be afraid of carbon mountain bike wheels, but after using the Control Carbons I will never use another aluminum rim again. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for a relatively light and durable wheel-set.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Roval Joe, sorry if this is repetitive RE: compatibility of XD hub for XX1. I have a 2012 Epic Sworks (Roval Control SL 29 142+, DT Star Ratchet, 12mm thru-axle, 32h). If I buy this DT piece I will be fine?

DT Swiss XX1 Freehub Body - Competitive Cyclist

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ok so heres the best photos i could do.
    the endcaps which came with my carbon control sl's are the black
    ones and say 24mm-s125900009

the red ones were stock on my 2010 sw stumpjumper control sl alloys
    and seem to fit both hubs just fine. theyre os 28mm caps i think.

the only difference in all the caps seem to be on the non-disk side front wheel.

i put a pick of both hubs and you can kinda see the damage occurred
    from using those black caps. the previous owner touched up hub area with
    black paint because they probably got so hot it melted the some of the hub paint off... so know your caps!!

http://forums.mtbr.com/members/mtbwr...caps-adapters/

and everything about newer control wheels..

http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...ice-kit-rA.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    Just wanted to say that I have been riding and racing the Control Carbons for awhile now (just about 600 miles) and they have been absolutely flawless. No issues at all with tires staying seated on the rim and the wheels are still as true as the day I put them on the bike. The rims hold up to impacts very well and I think they strike the perfect balance between weight, durability and price.

I use to be afraid of carbon mountain bike wheels, but after using the Control Carbons I will never use another aluminum rim again. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for a relatively light and durable wheel-set.
    PainkillerSPE- right on, stoked you are enjoying the product!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fguelfi View Post
    Roval Joe, sorry if this is repetitive RE: compatibility of XD hub for XX1. I have a 2012 Epic Sworks (Roval Control SL 29 142+, DT Star Ratchet, 12mm thru-axle, 32h). If I buy this DT piece I will be fine?

DT Swiss XX1 Freehub Body - Competitive Cyclist

thanks
    fguelfi- this is not the kit you want. This FH body is correct, but it comes with the wrong end cap. You will need to get the kit from our service department (your local Specialized dealer can get this for you), and the service part number is S132100005

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwrider View Post
    ok so heres the best photos i could do.
    the endcaps which came with my carbon control sl's are the black
    ones and say 24mm-s125900009

the red ones were stock on my 2010 sw stumpjumper control sl alloys
    and seem to fit both hubs just fine. theyre os 28mm caps i think.

the only difference in all the caps seem to be on the non-disk side front wheel.

i put a pick of both hubs and you can kinda see the damage occurred
    from using those black caps. the previous owner touched up hub area with
    black paint because they probably got so hot it melted the some of the hub paint off... so know your caps!!

http://forums.mtbr.com/members/mtbwr...caps-adapters/

and everything about newer control wheels..

http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...ice-kit-rA.pdf
    mtbwrider- ok, this helps. The non disc side end cap you have is not compatible wtih your carbon rim wheel, as the hubs are different. The disc side caps are the same and can be interchanged. The black end cap with part # S125900009 should be used on the non drive side, however, it sounds like you are getting some rubbing between the end cap flange and the hub shell? I would have to see it in person to understand what is going on, maybe your best bet would be to take it by a Specialized shop and have them take a look?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Roval Joe, I live in south america and travel to the US every month. Any shop online to buy that part? Couldn`t find it anywhere online or at specialized.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fguelfi View Post
    Roval Joe, I live in south america and travel to the US every month. Any shop online to buy that part? Couldn`t find it anywhere online or at specialized.com
    Fguelfi- PM me and I'll help you get squared away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Replacement front end caps

So borrowing from a poster above, I have a set that I recently bought which are apparently take offs and look exactly like the picture below. I've got the DT kit for converting the rear hub to 142x12, but also need to find end caps for the front to convert to 15mm thru axle. The end caps the hub came with are for 9mm by the looks of them, different on either side, but with the same part number:

28MM-S125900007

Roval questions?-339c4483.jpg

And as noted, the Rovals look like this:

Name:  rovals.JPG
Views: 1100
Size:  38.4 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    Fguelfi- PM me and I'll help you get squared away.
    Hello again I want to buy a control roval sl wheelset and looks like is a take off from a bike that uses 142mm or a thru axle not shure which one is!!! but my bike is stumpjumper QR 135mm he said that he have all the adaptors that came with the wheelset!!

These adaptors will fit my 135mm QR bike?? and will fit a DT xx1 freehub??
    thanks

mtbr member
    Ok roval Joe the Roval control sl wheelset was in a 2013 epic sworks!! and he is selling the wheelset and he have all the adaptors!! will fit in my 2013 s works stumpjumper????

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceharrier View Post
    So borrowing from a poster above, I have a set that I recently bought which are apparently take offs and look exactly like the picture below. I've got the DT kit for converting the rear hub to 142x12, but also need to find end caps for the front to convert to 15mm thru axle. The end caps the hub came with are for 9mm by the looks of them, different on either side, but with the same part number:

28MM-S125900007

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	339C4483.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	791908

And as noted, the Rovals look like this:

Name:  rovals.JPG
Views: 1100
Size:  38.4 KB
    spaceharrier- S125900010 is the part number for the set of 15mm thru axle end caps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andresco50 View Post
    Ok roval Joe the Roval control sl wheelset was in a 2013 epic sworks!! and he is selling the wheelset and he have all the adaptors!! will fit in my 2013 s works stumpjumper????
    andresco50- I'm a little confused. You mention in your first post that you have a 135mm rear end on your stumpjumper, which, if correct, means you have a much older Stumpy than 2013. If your Stumpy is indeed 2013, these 142+ rear wheel will fit in your bike no problem. The wheel which came on the Epic uses a QR end cap, so if the guy your buying these from has the 15mm end caps, you are set. If he does not have the 15mm end caps, you can just order them thru a shop (S125900010 is the part#).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    spaceharrier- S125900010 is the part number for the set of 15mm thru axle end caps.
    Thanks. I did see a thread elsewhere with someone from Specialized saying that part number was no longer available. Is that mistaken?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceharrier View Post
    Thanks. I did see a thread elsewhere with someone from Specialized saying that part number was no longer available. Is that mistaken?
    spaceharrier- I have been referencing part numbers from our customer service guys. Give me a little time to dig in on this and see what is going on. Will get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast