Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    Hey Roval Joe - are there end caps that fit the new Fattie front wheel for 9mm quick release? I know 15mm would be better, but my fork is qr at this time.
    KonaSS- there are end caps available for you to use a standard 5mm QR with the Fatties, but not a 9mm QR.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    havnfun- I've posted a link to our Roval service kit earlier in this thread that will give you spoke lengths for all of our current wheels including yours. Have a look at it, and let me know if you have any questions. To note though, Control Carbon wheels use Revolution spokes, not Supercomp.
    Roval Joe the Specialized web site states super comp when I look at the specs for that bike.I'm confused.Thank

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
    Roval Joe the Specialized web site states super comp when I look at the specs for that bike.I'm confused.Thank
    havnfun- The website listing for that bike has an error in it, my apologies for that. Control wheels definitely use Revolution spokes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I see that the Traverse Fattie SL has 6 degrees of engagement. Any idea what the engagement on the aluminum Traverse Fattie is? Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Should be the same hub so engagement will be the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    Should be the same hub so engagement will be the same.
    They are different hubs. Aluminum version has pawls rather than star rachet.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Gotcha -- appreciate the help. Unfortunately, the internet sometimes contradicts itself:

New Roval Traverse Fattie wheels revealed - BikeRadar

"The rear wheel [traverse fattie] features the new DT Swiss 360 hub, which uses a 3-pawl mechanism rather than the Star Ratchet, but is still compatible with the XD Driver body. Rear axle compatibility covers the usual 135mm and 142x12mm, but unlike their carbon counterparts, there’s no 142+ option here."

mtbr member
    Absolutly agree with you there. They all make mistakes but some sources seem to be better than others.
    Maybe the dt360 is a new hub though; although I would not expect specialized to deviate much from their current offerings in regards to hub choice on that particular wheel.
    Purely e-speculation on my part though...
    Last edited by c-wal; 07-02-2014 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Joe, I have a 2012 Epic with control 29 SL. I managed to break the front rim. I want to rebuild the wheel with the current MY Control 29SL, and will also rebuild the rear wheel with same. The Specialized LBS says rims are available but to convert from the 2012 to current MY rim I will need new spokes, also that I would need to buy a full box of spokes for whichever lengths. Can you provide the spoke lengths front and rear so I can rebuild the wheel myself?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey there Roval Joe, you astounding font of information!

I have a rear 142+ Roval Control Trail 29 SL vintage 2012 (with red graphics) that I am pretty hard on, since it has ended up on my more rugged, long travel bike.

After two hard-earned broken spokes, I plan to rebuild the wheel with new spokes, which appear from the chart to be DT Supercomp 15G in 299 and 302 lengths.

Could you confirm these lengths before I order, and also could you recommend a 14G alternative for a bit more beef?

Thanks!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Roval questions?

@c-wal I've come around to your line of thinking. Any idea what the engagement is on the standard "dt Swiss internals"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spillway View Post
    Any idea what the engagement is on the standard "dt Swiss internals"?
    Standard is 18 POE, There is a 36 POE upgrade ratchet, but now from Bontrager there is 54 POE available and in reading some articles that ratchet is going to be used in the Specialized wheel. If the quote "dt Swiss internals" is being quoted from Specialized website in the past it has meant either 18t or 36t, I've gotten them both ways from them. In the future it could mean 54T. Truthfully that quote is probably meant for the design itself, and not the number of tooth ratchets in them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I see that the Traverse Fattie SL has 6 degrees of engagement. Any idea what the engagement on the aluminum Traverse Fattie is? Thanks for the info!
    Spillway, you have a good question, and I'll have to get back to you on this as I don't know off the top of my head. To be clear, this hub uses a pawl mechanism, which is different than the star ratchet system like a 240 or 350 based hub uses. I'll have an answer for you shortly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Roval Joe - Do you have any idea "when" the Fattie SL Wheels are slated to begin shipping???

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gotcha -- appreciate the help. Unfortunately, the internet sometimes contradicts itself:

New Roval Traverse Fattie wheels revealed - BikeRadar

"The rear wheel [traverse fattie] features the new DT Swiss 360 hub, which uses a 3-pawl mechanism rather than the Star Ratchet, but is still compatible with the XD Driver body. Rear axle compatibility covers the usual 135mm and 142x12mm, but unlike their carbon counterparts, there’s no 142+ option here."
    Hi Spillway, thanks for your patience! 360 hubs have 15 degrees of engagement. For perspective, this is in between the 36t engagement and 18t engagement of the 240 based star ratchets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Roval questions?

Thanks for the info, Joe! Couldn't have found that info anywhere else. Really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Roval Joe - Do you have any idea "when" the Fattie SL Wheels are slated to begin shipping???
    DMFT- the first shipment of SL Fatties went out just over a week ago, and are in shops now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    Hi Spillway, thanks for your patience! 360 hubs have 15 degrees of engagement. For perspective, this is in between the 36t engagement and 18t engagement of the 240 based star ratchets.
    As a follow-up, do you have rim weights for the AL fattie rim? I know they arent sold as rim-only, but I'm curious how the weight is roughly distributed. Thank you again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Roval Joe, I posted this last week, but am re-posting in case you missed it over the holiday weekend.

I have a rear 142+ Roval Control Trail 29 SL vintage 2012 (with red graphics) that I am pretty hard on, since it has ended up on my more rugged, long travel bike.

After two hard-earned broken spokes, I plan to rebuild the wheel with new spokes, which appear from the Roval chart to be DT Supercomp 15G in 299 and 302 lengths.

Could you confirm these lengths before I order, and also could you recommend a 14G alternative for a bit more beef?

Thanks!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Roval Joe,
    I searched the entire sticky, but could not find the info I am looking for.

I have a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp (26"). The bike came stock with a Roval Control Trail (alloy) wheelset. The Specialized website lists these as having "New Specialized Hi Lo disc, 4x-sealed cartridge bearing" hub, however your detailed spreadsheet lists these as "DT Swiss based". The rear thru bolt has a DT Swiss label on it? Is the rear hub in fact a DT swiss product worthy of rebuilding or this a ride-break-dispose quality product like the rest of Specialized HiLo labeled hubs?

I was recently won new wheelset build with Hope Pro hubs and I am debating on either replacing the Rovals (26) or the stock wheels from my 29er with this free set. I would hate to get another (comparable) set of 26 inch wheels if they are already a quality set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy. Came with Roval 29er wheels with 26mm eyelets. (what is the full name of these wheels? Control? ) Also Anyone know 1) if these are tubeless compatible 2) if so, what width tubeless rim tape do i need?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi Joe,

I wonder if you can help- I've been trying to get 15mm front adaptors for my Roval Traversee ELs- the very first version, as pictured here:
    http://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain...eelset-review/

My specialized dealer is doing their best but they've sent me the wrong adaptors and now seem really confused. Do you know the part numbers? It'd be a big help!

Thanks,

Andrew

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanlrsn7 View Post
    I have a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy. Came with Roval 29er wheels with 26mm eyelets. (what is the full name of these wheels? Control? ) Also Anyone know 1) if these are tubeless compatible 2) if so, what width tubeless rim tape do i need?

Thank you.
    I have the same bike with the same wheel set.
    To go tube less I used Stan's 25 mm tape only because my LBS didn't have the 21 mm tape.
    Next roll I'm buying 21 mm.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a pair of Specialized Roval Control EL 29er Wheels on my aluminum Stumpjumper hardtail. The freehub makes a clunking sound when my driveside crankarm is at 6:00 o'clock. Any ideas what's causing this and if there is a fix?

Thanks!

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast