Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    AOK
    mtbr member

Roval questions?

Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    What about front? I would like to purchase 100x9 RWS caps for my Roval Control SL wheels. Is this the same as DT240s 9mm RWS caps? I was told that they weren't.
    That is correct. The rear hub can take DT Swiss end caps. Front hub has Roval specific caps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    me too! i have a 2010 sw stumpy which gets wonky wheels way too much.
    would love to get carbon rims swapped out for the alum.. seems like
    i could even use same spokes but would'nt mind having to replace those if not
    compatible. we paid alot for our specialized bikes and an upgrade
    doesnt seem to be too unreasonable...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwrider View Post
    me too! i have a 2010 sw stumpy which gets wonky wheels way too much.
    would love to get carbon rims swapped out for the alum.. seems like
    i could even use same spokes but would'nt mind having to replace those if not
    compatible. we paid alot for our specialized bikes and an upgrade
    doesnt seem to be too unreasonable...
    AOK & mtbwrider- understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately we're not set up to do this, as it would require a rebuild with new spokes (lengths are different). We have people to service wheels at our service centers, but we'd have to stock loads of spokes and rims, not to mention more people just to build wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    UST is the Mavic trade name for the ERTRO standard. So based on your description is not. The ERTRO standard has a step down shelf on the rim bed to help lock the tire in place, and it sounds like the Roval wheels don't have that. Do they otherwise use the same bead seat diameter and wall height as a ERTRO compliant rim? How do they keep the tire locked in place?

It might be helpful if you can post a profile picture of the rim with dimensions like the one I am attaching below (FOR ANYONE READING, THE DRAWING BELOW IS NOT OF THE ROVAL). As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks

Attachment 785317
    CDMC- Sorry for missing this yesterday. Ok, understand what you are getting at now. Yes, our rims have a "step down shelf" as you put it. Let me grab one of our profile dimensions and post it a little later so you can see. Thanks for your patience!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    What about front? I would like to purchase 100x9 RWS caps for my Roval Control SL wheels. Is this the same as DT240s 9mm RWS caps? I was told that they weren't.

Also if I want to convert my 142+ rear hub to XX1 I was told that I need the Roval freehub and not the DT freehub. Is this correct?
    tooclosetos- AOK is correct about the rear end caps. Regarding the front, Roval front hubs have their own end caps, not shared wtih DT designs. While we make QR end caps that would work with DT RWS 5mm skewers, we don't make end caps for the 9mm axle system up front. We do understand there are customers out there that like this system, but we decided against it when we designed the hubs, and now with most fork manufacturers migrating to 15mm thru, we'll probably not go back and design 9mm end caps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey Everyone,
    We have been getting questions regarding Roval and XX1 compatibility, so I thought I'd post some info regarding this.
    - All MY2012 and 2013 Roval mtn wheels are XX1 compatible, and for prior years, all Roval wheel models using DT 350 or 240 based rear hubs are compatible also. Basically everything except "AL" models which used the 370 based rear hub, which we quit using for model year 2012.
    - there are 3 freehub kits for Roval wheels depending on which configuration you want to use. The freehub body itself is the same in each kit, however, the end cap is specific to the freehub. Configurations are 135mm QR, 142/12mm thru axle, and 142+/12mm thru axle.
    - Specialized part numbers for these kits are as follows:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sorry for my amateur posting skills. To continue:
    - 135mm QR: S132100003
    - 142/12mm thru: S132100004
    - 142+/12mm thru: S132100005

these are available thru our service center. For customers who want to buy elsewhere, you can purchase the 135mm QR and 142/12mm thru kits thru QBP or other avenues as they are exactly the same as you'd use on a standard DT 350 or 240 hub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
    ust is the mavic trade name for the ertro standard. So based on your description is not. The ertro standard has a step down shelf on the rim bed to help lock the tire in place, and it sounds like the roval wheels don't have that. Do they otherwise use the same bead seat diameter and wall height as a ertro compliant rim? How do they keep the tire locked in place?

It might be helpful if you can post a profile picture of the rim with dimensions like the one i am attaching below (for anyone reading, the drawing below is not of the roval). As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks

Attachment 785317
    cdmc- attached is a non dimensioned drawing of our hookless rim for your reference
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    could you also officially tell me if 142+ roval wheels fit
    135mm q/r frame on my 2010 sw stumpy (and other 135 rear frames)?

since i have to buy a COMPLETE new set of wheels to get carbon rims
    im looking at a used 142+ wheelset. the owner said it works on his older
    q/r 135 rear bike....

Im familiar with this spesh schematic on rear hubs:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/s...sexplained.jpg

also would like to know how warranty works(or doesnt) on buying
    used specialized wheels and parts.. thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    could you also officially tell me if 142+ roval wheels fit
    135mm q/r frame on my 2010 sw stumpy (and other 135 rear frames)?

since i have to buy a COMPLETE new set of wheels to get carbon rims
    im looking at a used 142+ wheelset. the owner said it works on his older
    q/r 135 rear bike....

Im familiar with this spesh schematic on rear hubs:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/s...sexplained.jpg

also would like to know how warranty works(or doesnt) on buying
    used specialized wheels and parts.. thanks!
    mtbwrider- regarding whether you can use a 142+ wheel on a 135mm frame, physically, it is possible. If you put 135mm end caps on this hub, it changes the hub width to 137mm, which you can still fit into some frames. I can't recommend doing this since the frame is actually designed for 135mm, and I can't claim to know what the effects of this would be.

I'm not sure I follow you regarding buying used parts from warranty. If you mean, can a consumer purchase used parts through our warranty department, then no, they don't sell parts like this. Of course consumers can go to a shop and purchase service parts for wheels, but these are not used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    oh that makes sense! thanks joe!
    about the warranty, i was more wondering if
    i have a manufacturer defect with my used carbon wheels,
    will spesh possibly cover it? thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Roval questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Roval Joe View Post
    cdmc- attached is a non dimensioned drawing of our hookless rim for your reference
    Thanks. I have no idea how they retain tires properly with no hooks. Clearly they work as many people are using them and quiet happy, but I don't get. Paging Shiggy.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    So that everyone knows what were'r talking about I've inserted the rim cross section.

Name:  Control-Carbon-rim-shape-(1.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  13.1 KB

It is not the bead hook that keeps a tire on a rim, rather it's the pressure that keeps the tire bead on the bead seat. The tire bead diameter is smaller than the diameter at the edge of the rim. The tire bead would have to stretch substantially to pop off the rim. I've had a UST tire blow off a Mavic UST rim because the bead was stretched. The tire manufacturer replaced the tire. We all know how hooked the bead of a UST rim is.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Thanks. I have no idea how they retain tires properly with no hooks. Clearly they work as many people are using them and quiet happy, but I don't get. Paging Shiggy.
    CDMC- Ronnie is correct. Just like car tires, motorcycle tires, and even beach cruiser tires back in the day (steel rolled rims made years ago) stay on the rim without any bead hooks. Kevlar or steel beads are relatively inflexible, so for the bead to come up over the sidewall, it would have to stretch quite a bit (which it won't, barring any catastrophic failure), OR, if during a turn, the bead was pushed down into the drop center, this could cause the bead to start to come over the sidewall a bit (like burping your tire).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    oh that makes sense! thanks joe!
    about the warranty, i was more wondering if
    i have a manufacturer defect with my used carbon wheels,
    will spesh possibly cover it? thanks again!
    mtbwrider- ah, ok, got it. Warranty for wheels applies to the original owner, and not transfered when they are sold. I believe this is pretty standard for most bikes, wheels, components, regardless the manufacturer. That being said, for a carbon wheel, if there were a manufacturing defect (molding issue with the rim, etc), usually this is found fairly quickly, so if the previous owner put some time on the wheels, the problem hopefully would have surfaced already. Obviously this isn't going to be the case with every wheel.

AOK
    mtbr member

Roval questions?

Joe -

The Specialized site still shows the new Control Carbon 29 wheels as "coming soon". Any idea when these wheels will be in stock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Joe -

The Specialized site still shows the new Control Carbon 29 wheels as "coming soon". Any idea when these wheels will be in stock?
    AOK- The next shipment should be here the last week in April. Sorry for the lag on these. Are the dealers in your area out of stock also, or were you just planning on buying them from our website?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Joe,

I was going to purchase a set of Roval Control Carbon 29 wheels to go on my Scott Scale 910 but evidently they don't come with the 142 10mm end caps. Is that correct? What can I do to remedy this problem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney.Sanders View Post
    Joe,

I was going to purchase a set of Roval Control Carbon 29 wheels to go on my Scott Scale 910 but evidently they don't come with the 142 10mm end caps. Is that correct? What can I do to remedy this problem?
    Stoney.Sanders- Are you sure your Scale has 142 x 10mm droppouts? I'm not an expert on Scott bikes, but looked at their website, and could find no info that specifies what the dropouts are, but the photos looked like 135mm QR dropouts. If this is the case, and you are running a 135 x 10mm thru axle, then you can do one of two things to make the Control Carbon wheel work. 1) use the wheel as it comes with 135mm QR, it would fit right into your frame (Assuming I am correct about the dropouts), or 2) buy the DT conversion end caps to convert the Roval hub to 135 x 10mm thru. The DT Swiss part# is:HWGXXX0001803S. The Roval rear hub is manufactured by DT Swiss and is based on their 350 hub design. You can find out more info about rear hub compatibility here: DT Swiss - Conversion kits . Hope this helps, but if you have further questions, let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi Joe,
    Iíve just got a 2013 Stumpy FSR EVO comp with the new hi-lo hubs etc. After a few rides both the front and back have some play in them, are there any guides on these wheels?
    Thanks, Tim.

mtbr member

Roval questions?

Does specialized have any plans to offer a non proprietary carbon rim? I understand the pros and cons of a proprietary wheel system. But I think it would gain you more customers and profits if you offered a non proprietary carbon rim that could be lace with your hub of choice

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyt View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Iíve just got a 2013 Stumpy FSR EVO comp with the new hi-lo hubs etc. After a few rides both the front and back have some play in them, are there any guides on these wheels?
    Thanks, Tim.
    timmyt- the OE wheels you are talking about are sealed cartridge bearings, and have no adjustments. If you've only got a few rides on them and they are loose, definitely get back to the shop and have them get it sorted through customer service. They shouldn't be worn out that soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    Does specialized have any plans to offer a non proprietary carbon rim? I understand the pros and cons of a proprietary wheel system. But I think it would gain you more customers and profits if you offered a non proprietary carbon rim that could be lace with your hub of choice
    vapezilla- At this point there are no plans to offer stand alone rims. Not to say it will never happen, we just aren't planning on it right now. Do not disagree with you that we could sell a lot of them and some customers would be stoked on being able to build something that was unique, it would just require a lot more resources at this point. Sounds silly, right? but when focusing on the system approach, we test the rim only in the system/configuration it will be built in and dial it in to where we are confident it will work well in the targeted riding experience. If we sold the rim only, we'd have to do a lot more testing to see how the rim works with different spokes, lacing patterns, etc. Changing spoke type/count can also change the wheel stiffness and impact resistance (for carbon rims) significantly, and these are things that would have to be considered in design of a "non proprietary" rim. Bottom line is though, I hear what you're saying, and at some point it might be a reality, just not in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ok so on my new/used roval sl wheelset im having an endcap adapter prob.
    the wheels are carbon rim black and red control sl's and proly 2011..
    im using q/r front and rear on my 2010 sw stumpjumper..
    front has spesh fork which i think uses oversized caps..

it seems that the previous owner had a fox fork with q/r caps which i
    think would work anyway... but the front cap on the non disk side is rubbing
    the hub and seems too big for the hub....?

now i have my stock sl's, which are aluminum rims but everything else seems to
    be the same as my new carbon fiber's. the adaptor from these on the front non disk
    side seems to be the right fit and is longer horizontally so sits onto hub better...
    but also smaller diameter so doesnt rub the hub and works fine.

are there different hub adaptors for different years? are my older sl's the same hubs?
    i found a really good endcap chart part number somewhere but cant find in no more..
    any help?? thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Joe, I am going to be getting some roval's for my p3 that I use for dj and BMX, I am a fairly smooth rider and would like to have a light set of wheels, I am considering the Control SL's but fear they might not be as durable as I need, dont wanna fork over the dough and have them fail. Do you think they are out of the question? Its either those or the Traverse SL's. I am sure the Traverse SL's will hold, but would like lighter if I can have it.

Thanks
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast