mtbr member

Roval Control Trail 29 or Stans Arch EX 29?

Starting to seriously consider a wheel upgrade for my '12 Stumpy EVO HT 29er. Stock wheelset are the Roval Traverse on the HiLo hubs..figuring they have to be over 2000 grams. Thinking of the Roval Control Trail 29 or Stan's Arch EX 29er. Any thoughts/comments? In terms of the Roval lineup, I would guess the Traverse roughly equates to the Flow, the Control Trail = Arch, and the Control = Crest. I notice as you move up the Roval line, the rims get skinnier..mine are 28mm wide and the Control is 26mm..what will this really do for me?

Thanks!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have the stan's arch ex 29er...and gone tubeless

mtbr member
    Ted, do you like turtles?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Starting to seriously consider a wheel upgrade for my '12 Stumpy EVO HT 29er. Stock wheelset are the Roval Traverse on the HiLo hubs..figuring they have to be over 2000 grams. Thinking of the Roval Control Trail 29 or Stan's Arch EX 29er. Any thoughts/comments? In terms of the Roval lineup, I would guess the Traverse roughly equates to the Flow, the Control Trail = Arch, and the Control = Crest. I notice as you move up the Roval line, the rims get skinnier..mine are 28mm wide and the Control is 26mm..what will this really do for me?

Thanks!
    Thinking about upgrading and going down the same path here Arch vs. Roval Control 29. Can you please tell me what you ended up with?

mtbr member
    I got the Rovals..they are MONEY. I got a nice deal on them so it made the decision easier, but retail for both is similar. I like the radial lace on the Roval's. I think these wheels are v. stiff laterally, compared to the stockers that came on it. They survived an 18 hour race a few weeks ago with only a minor issue with trueness...I rim checked on several downhills b/c I wasn't running quite enough pressure in my tires...trued up no problem. They set up tubeless perfectly.