mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Roval Control Carbon 29 or i9 Torch Trail 29

I'm looking at getting a nice wheelset and have narrowed it down to Roval Control Carbon 29 or i9 Torch Trail 29 (32 spoke) wheels. Anyone have some riding time on either of these wheels? I'm just looking for some personal experiences on these wheels to help me make a decision. I'm a bit of fan of i9 products, especially considering they're located here in NC, but I've been demoing the Rovals for the past 2 days and I'm liking 'em. The i9s cost just a little less than the Rovals, and weight is similar. Of course, the Rovals are carbon while the i9s are aluminum. I've read one report that the i9s can be a little finicky setting up tubeless, but another report that they set-up just fine. I've also read that the Rovals have a minimum 25 psi spec due to the hookless design, but I've been running them at 22/24 without any problems although that does worry me a litte bit. Thanks for any replies.

BK

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    FWIW, I went with the Roval Control Carbon 29 wheelset. After having a pretty extensive conversation with the good folks at my LBS (they actually spoke with a Roval engineer to answer my questions), I ended up going with the Roval Control Carbon 29 wheelset. They eased my concerns regarding the minimum 25 PSI. Actually, there isn't a minimum pressure for the rims. The minimum PSI is apparently online folklore; although, I was told to start at least 5 PSI higher than normal and then slowly drop the PSI to my liking. Apparently they have quite a bit of long-term experience with running pressures down to 22 PSI. Plus, I read the review here on MTBR where they did the C-clamp test at 12.5 PSI and were still unable to unseat the tire. The clincher (pun intended) was that I got a good deal on the Rovals (actually came out to be a good bit less than the Torch wheelset). Obviously, I could have gotten the Torches cheaper online somewhere, but I wanted to support my LBS. Looking forward to seeing what these wheels can do . . .

BK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Bump. Just curious what other's think as well. I need a new wheelset and $1200 is the top of my price range, which puts me at either of these two wheelsets.

Would the Roval Carbon 29 set be stiffer then the I9 Torch Trail since the latter isn't carbon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I can't comment on the Torches, but, while I'm a bit of an I9 fan, I will say the Roval Control Carbon 29 is so far turning out to be a great wheelset. They are very stiff and responsive.
    Last edited by Benuki; 05-10-2013 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    once you go carbon you will not go back
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have i9 29x32 hole torch trail wheelset, and now LB 30mm od carbon hookless 29er rims. 32 hole also laced 2 cross with Sapim Laser spokes and Hadley hubs. The carbon wheelset rule over the i9. The Hadley hubs are more weight, but the weight in center of wheel is not felt. The carbon set is much more quiet and stiff, run much lower tire pressure on 29x2.235 tires.