mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Roval Control 29 Carbon tyre compatibility

Any one has a recommended tyre list yet for the above wheels?

Aiming to run tubeless with stans.

Planning on using Maxxis Ikon 29 EXO version.

Just to be clear these are the new cheap Carbon rims without the bead hook

Not so keen to waste 120 euros finding out if they work or not...

Thanks

mtbr member
    I would think (or hope) that they would be designed to work with Specialized 2Bliss tires. And if that is the case, then just about any Tubeless Ready tire should work. What ever you use, it should be a snug fit (which strains the tire bead, making a tubeless ready tire even more ideal) without a bead hook.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Been to the bike shop and looked at them today. Lets just say that the 2Bliss tyres that were fitted (with tubes) looked very loose and not snug at all. Cmparing this with Maxxis tyres on my 26 inch crest rims which are very tight. The tyre seen was a Fast Trak Control and the sidewalls are paper thin. Why do they weigh a heavy 630grams each with no sidewalls?. Without riding they don't look good for my planned race and re-enforces my decision to be looking at Ikons. The Ikons are not listed as tubeless ready as far as I know but set up fine on a normal rim. Unsure on these new fangled beadless rims though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The 26" Maxxis tires fit so tight because the Stan's rim is not a true ETRTO 559 rim, like the tire is meant for. All of Stan's rims are slightly larger, to ensure a 'tight' fit of the tire (note that tight is not necessarily the same as secure).

Anything that is not a UST type bead mounted on a UST type rim (there are a few now, not necessarily under the name UST) has a greater potential for burping/other failure. Mounting the tire can be a pain when it is not intended for tubeless use, but is possible in most cases. It should lock up on the rim just fine once you get it on.

As for whether that specific tire/rim works, can't tell you. You can always run it with a tube if all else fails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm curious if anyone can confirm the new straight bead on the Control Carbon rim will work with Maxxis Ikon EXO tires in a tubeless setup. I run the Ikons on my Sun Ringle Charger Pro wheels no problem tubeless with Stans, but want to upgrade to the Control Carbons.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post
    I'm curious if anyone can confirm the new straight bead on the Control Carbon rim will work with Maxxis Ikon EXO tires in a tubeless setup. I run the Ikons on my Sun Ringle Charger Pro wheels no problem tubeless with Stans, but want to upgrade to the Control Carbons.
    I have no personal experience, but the C-clamp test MTBR did here would make me feel pretty good about running any tire, let alone IKONs. From what I understand, rims with no hooks aren't exactly 'new' in the biking world.

BikeRumor just posted up their review of the wheels and it was very positive as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They work just fine. I've done 1800km with no issue. 22psi front and 28 psi back. No issues at all through some very rough terrain. This was the reinforced version. Maxxis now also make a TR version that should work fine as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been running Schwalbe Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph rear tubeless with no problems. I weigh 175 lbs. and run 25psi front and 27psi rear. I love this wheel set.

mtbr member
    I also have been using IKON EXO's without any problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You guys rock. Looks like I have no excuses not to buy the Roval wheels now.

BTW, I run my Maxxis Ikon EXO at 21F/22R on my Charger Pro wheels on a Jet9. I weigh 165 and ride on very bumpy trails (rounded rocks though). Never had a pinch flat. I'll start pressures a bit higher to start on the Roval wheels to be safe.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I run mine Roval Control SL 29er version both 40 psi with zero problem with S-Works Fast Trak tubeless tires. Love this wheelset all the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    40psi? I'd have no fillings left where I ride

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The warning label on the wheelset says max 45 psi. I prefer to run high pressure as the bike is feeling light with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Fit my Maxxis Ikon EXO on my new Roval Control Carbon wheels last night with very little issues with Stans Tubeless. They are holding air well after 12hrs. Time to ride tonight to see how everything works.

NedwannaB
    Report to follow.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....