mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Rolf Dolomite rear hub rebuild question.

I have a Rolf Dolomite Disk wheelset in fine shape except..., the rear hub needs to be rebuilt. Can I rebuild the hub with off the shelf parts, or am I sh*t out of luck because the Rolf parts aren't made anymore?

Former Bike Wrench
    The hubs are Formula...I rebuilt several sets in the early 2K's

My manual I have shows two bearings in the rear hub. They are Trek Part# 73335 which translates into standard 6000 bearings.

God
    Jun 2005
    The hubs should be DT Swiss. That is what Rolf Prima just told me anyway. I know all the upper line Rolf wheels that were distributed through Trek were all based off the Hugi 240 hub.

My rear hub also needs overhauled, but unlike what mtnbiker72 is saying they are a loose ball rear hub. All the Dolomites I have seen over the years have been a cartridge front hub and a loose ball rear.

I will be checking with DT Swiss to see if I can find out what cones the rear hub takes. If I find anything I will let you know.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekBMX18
    The hubs should be DT Swiss. That is what Rolf Prima just told me anyway. I know all the upper line Rolf wheels that were distributed through Trek were all based off the Hugi 240 hub.

My rear hub also needs overhauled, but unlike what mtnbiker72 is saying they are a loose ball rear hub. All the Dolomites I have seen over the years have been a cartridge front hub and a loose ball rear.

I will be checking with DT Swiss to see if I can find out what cones the rear hub takes. If I find anything I will let you know.
    DT Swiss did not make the Dolomite hubs ...so they are talking out of their asses. Here is proof on their own webpage that they have no relation to the Trek made Rolf wheels.

There were several different hubs used by Trek including the DT based hubs on some of their wheelsets. The top end mountain wheelset was the Propel which used the DT 240 based hub internals. The Urraco was next and used a DT Onyx based hub. The next level down was the Dolomite which used Formula cartridge bearing hubs. The last in line for the mountain wheels was the Satellite which used ball bearing Formula hubs.

Last edited by mtnbiker72; 02-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.

God
    Jun 2005
    Well I will try to remember to post pictures tomorrow when I am at work. We have 2 sets of Dolomites there right now. That is definitely not the diagram for the hub in the wheel that I am currently working on. I will have to check the hub on the other set we have too.

They must have switched hubs during some point during production.

pedal pusher
    I was able to get a new cone for my rear hub through trial and error at my LBS. We finally found something that worked perfectly, only it doesn't have a seal like the original. However, I think the outer seal on the hub should work well enough to keep moisture out.

You may have your best luck by contacting Trek directly. They were able to tell me the model number for freehub body replacements after my shop ran out (my first freehub lasted 10 years, the second, 3 months; the 3rd is in there now; luckily, my shop had 2 laying around for over a decade).

After I put the 3rd freehub in--thus depleting my LBS' supply--I got worried I wouldn't find another. I contacted Trek, and they told me the model number to give my shop, and they were able to order a couple for me for $15 a piece (see pic).

Trek told me they have other various parts for the wheels on hand, so they should be able to tell you what you need. Be sure to tell them the exact wheel that you have (i.e. disc/non-disc, wheel model, etc), as well as the year it was made, if possible.

Part # 68541