banned
    Jan 2012

Rolf Dolomite Disc cracked rear rim?! WTF?

Went to ride my new Fuel 90, Came back home and noticed that my rear rim was cracked at a spoke hole, It literally pulled the whole spoke out of the rim, Has anyone noticed this too with Dolomite Disc wheels?
    Also, is it still safe to ride it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    Went to ride my new Fuel 90, Came back home and noticed that my rear rim was cracked at a spoke hole, It literally pulled the whole spoke out of the rim, Has anyone noticed this too with Dolomite Disc wheels?
    Also, is it still safe to ride it?
    I would not ride it if there is a crack in the wheel - you have no way of knowing what sort of an impact may lead to a catastrophic failure.

If you have really good health insurance and a guarantee of several hot nurses then maybe.....

mtbr member
    A Fuel with Rolf Dolomite wheels is pretty far from "new"...in fact it is probably a 2001 as that was the last year "Rolf" wheels were on Trek Bikes
    BikePedia - 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disc Complete Bicycle

The Rolf wheels ran extremely high spoke tension so I'm not surprised that even a lightly used set is showing signs of fatigue. I would not ride on it, the spoke is likely to pull through the rim which on those paired spoked rims will make it go quite a bit out of true.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rolf wheels are well known for failing that way. It's a stupid design which runs way too much spoke tension with a rim that's not built to take it, it doesn't take long before the rear drive side spoke holes start cracking apart.

Junk the Rolf and get a proper wheel with normal 3-cross spoke lacing. When those wheels let go it isn't pretty, I've seen rear derailleurs and tires get taken out during failure events.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Echoing the others here. No it's not safe; rim failure may start slow, but it will snowball in short order, unfortunately, while you are riding. Every spoke that pops will weaken the wheel as a unit, until it can no longer support itself, and down it goes.

Either a new rim is in order, or a new wheel. Getting the rim replaced by a shop (assuming the spokes still fit) will likely cost as much as a new rear wheel of better quality.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Oh well, Bought a DT 420SL set with DT/Specialized hubs, Most people say they suck, will find out later this day..