mtbr member
    Sep 2012

road wheels/tires for Cannondale F7 disc

Hey guys newbie here and I need some help. I have a Cannondale F7 with disc brakes and would like to put some road wheels/tires on it so I can switch them in and out depending on where I am riding.
    Do any of you guys do this or just buy a road bike as well?? Are the wheels hard to change in and out or do I need to bring it to a shop every time? I have no clue what to look for can someone please help me out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by paule350 View Post
    Hey guys newbie here and I need some help. I have a Cannondale F7 with disc brakes and would like to put some road wheels/tires on it so I can switch them in and out depending on where I am riding.
    Do any of you guys do this or just buy a road bike as well?? Are the wheels hard to change in and out or do I need to bring it to a shop every time? I have no clue what to look for can someone please help me out.
    All you need to do is match the rim diameter (26"), the hub type (disc hub), and the way the hub is secured to the bike (quick release front and rear).

You'll also need an extra set of brake rotors to install on the second set of wheels. Or you'll end up having to swap rotors every time you swap wheels. Not a good idea, and a PIA. I would also suggest a cassette (the cogs on the rear hub), as swapping back and forth would be a pain as well.

Also you'll likely want to learn to adjust your brake calipers as well. Manufacturing tolerances will make for slight differences in where the hub places the rotor relative to the brake caliper. In most cases the difference is enough that you'll have to adjust he caliper when swapping from one wheel to another. The reason being is the differences will likely be enough to cause the brake pads to rub on the rotor. Even the same brand and model hub can be off enough to require adjustment when swapping. You may get lucky and get a set that won't require adjustment, but not likely. So be prepared.

From there just pick a set of pavement tires that you like and set em up.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"