TRANCER

ritchey z-max classic pro 2.35 front & ritchey z-max evolution wcs for the rear?

So i have been looking for a new set of tires lately and have had a hard time searching for something thats what i'd like to call the perfect combo. I really wanted to try the WTB Bronsons 2.1 but the lack of reviews on this tire made me hold off on them. So I decided to look for something cheaper for the moment and ran in to a few very good reports on these 2 tires. I ride in South Florida where there is a huge variety of terrains from loose gravel, loose rocks, hardpack, wet roots etc etc. Has anyone hre used this combo? Or even if you are using either tire feel free to chime in with your experience. I already ordered these so i'll post my own review by the end of next week. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Biohazard74; 08-26-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had the 2.35 Z-max classic a long time ago, back when it was the Z-max WCS. It's a nice fat cushy tire which made my rigid bike more comfortable since I was able to run about 20psi in the tires for extra squish. As I recall they rolled pretty well and felt faster than their size would lead one to believe, and they were a decent jack of all trades tire as long as you were decently smooth. They won't hold traction on climbs like a Velociraptor nor will they hold the obscene lean angles in turns that modern tires are capable of, but they do give plenty of warning when you get close to their limits and they break traction in a predictable way. Braking isn't that great either once the tires are worn down about halfway, but when new it's good enough for anything I'm likely to encounter.

I still use a Z-max 2.1 on the front since I'm so used to how it handles, though I do swap to more aggressive tires when riding at my friend's cottage.

No idea how the Z-max Evolution is like, I haven't used one yet but it's something I might consider in the future.

TRANCER
    aerius Thanks for your reply. I think the ones i ordered are the 2009 for the 2.35 and the rear ones are new(2011) i believe i was told. I'm just on the search for the right combo lately so when i have a few bucks laying around i decided to try a few other tires. The Nevegal Stick-e and Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear add up after time $$$ I love the combo but just want to try something different.
    Ride

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Great tires but last time I tried them they ran very small. And the new WCS did not convert tubeless, pinholes everywhere and lots of leakage. That said aerius' evaluation is correct. Predictable decent traction and fast rolling. If they came in a true 2.3ish size and I could run them tubeless I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

TRANCER
    I ordered the 2.35 for the front because I did read that they were running a tad smaller than usual. I I like 2.1 front and rear when the tires are true 2.1's. I know this is what everyone's after but I'm looking for the fastes tires with great grip. (Duhhh) lol thank you guys for your input. I'm very curious to try these tires
    Ride

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Both great tires, imho. I use a Z-Max 2.1 severe condition now on the front with an Omegabite on the rear. The only part I don't like about the rears of any Z-Max is there "slide-out" ability on high speed fire roads.

The 2.35 up front I used for years, and as an aerius said, they are great for the fromt at around 20-25 psi and roll faster than you think. The only part about the 2.35 I don't like is the front center knobs, they're filled in whereas o the 2.1 they are more agressive.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Both great tires, imho. I use a Z-Max 2.1 severe condition now on the front with an Omegabite on the rear. The only part I don't like about the rears of any Z-Max is there "slide-out" ability on high speed fire roads.
    I have the same tire up front right now with a Climb-Max on the back, it's been raining more recently and they do a better job of clearing mud and hooking up on wet stuff than my regular Z-Max WCS & WTB EnduroRaptor combo.

And yeah, a Z-Max rear slides out earlier than I'd like on fast fire road turns. Gotta keep the speed down a bit or the slides won't quite go as expected.