mtbr member

Ritchey WCS Shield Experience?

I wore out the Schwalbe RRs that came on my Scalpel and am considering Ritchey WCS Shield. Wonder if anyone has had any experience with these new tires? I'm running ghetto tubeless on 26" DT Swiss 1.4 rims and tire width will be 2.1. I ride XC in Northern Utah and occasionally race.

On other bikes I've run Conti Protection RKs. These were good, but the Ritcheys are lighter (540g) and I generally like Ritchey stuff.

I thought the Schwalbe RRs were lousy. They were really miserable at 40psi and only tolerable once converted to tubeless and with 25psi. Traction was poor compared to the RKs and they wore very quickly. Fast wear was not such a problem to me though, I'm happy to get rid of them. I've been on my a$$ too often lately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Great tire. Very fast on hard packed and moist soil. Not good in mud. Wears very quickly.I have read reviews where tire measured in at an actual 2.1 and claimed weight as some tires fudge on size to make tire appear light at a given size. I think its perfect for ghetto tubeless. Ive been trying to get friends to try them as they are a great sub for zozmics and slant 6. Plus no one will have the same tire as you

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Ritchey WCS Shield does not work tubeless, don`t bother adding sealant, it won`t seal even the smallest of holes, it`s a piece of expensive crap, I am very disappointed with Ritchey, obviously they are skimming on quality assurance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm running WCS Shield 29er tubeless on the front wheel and it's OK. Yes, there were few small holes, but sealant solved it. Love the weight of the tyre.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Although these are primarily race-biased XC tires, I am amazed at how well these work in so many conditions, for such a thin thread pattern. I live only 5 miles from my friend Tom Ritchey and it is no wonder that these worked so well on our local trails. Despite the shallow knobs, they bite & corner better in dirt/gravel, roll faster and seem to last longer than Tom's Zmax Evolution WCS (my old favorite) or the Maxxis Crossmark Exception tires. They work surprisingly well in mud, since they never "load up" between the tread knobs. In over a year of use, they have never flatted and did just fine running fast over the granite rocks on the Tahoe Rim / Flume Trails. Although they are wider and slightly heavier than the 1.9 WCS Evolutions I used to run, they are faster rolling. These tires were co-designed by Tom Ritchey and Thomas Frischknecht, both have decades of success in XC racing and tire design. I think they got it right. PS. I always run tubes, so I can't comment on the sealant issue.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Under-rated Super Race Tire

This tire is has it ALL: fast-rolling, climbing grip, off-camber traction, corners on rails, awesome dry handling.....all in a sub-600g package. The exact, 2.10 width tire rides the fine border between max speed, high-volume comfort and control. This should easily be the XC/Marathon Racer's best-kept-secret.

Outperforms:
    - Kenda Slant Six
    - Continental Race King 2.2
    - Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron
    - Maxxis Ikon, Crossmark
    - Bontrager 29-1 Expert
    - Specialized Fast Trak S-Works LK
    - WTB Prowler, Vulpine

The weights may be all over the place(554-600g), but I hear Ritchey uses the highest-quality rubber, sourced directly from the Michelin plant, in Vietnam. The sidewalls are considerably stouter than the Continental and Schwalbe and sealed up tubeless with a floor pump.
    Last edited by Zachariah; 12-09-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you don't mind me asking. How long have you been using the tire and what wheel size? What kind of rims?

The tread looks good to me like a RK with good side knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by OLx6 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking. How long have you been using the tire and what wheel size? What kind of rims?

The tread looks good to me like a RK with good side knobs.
    Used over one year, on Bontrager RXL Scandium wheels with 29x2.10 tires. Race King side knobs do NOT grip. The WCS Shield absolutely does.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the info. Judging by your wheelset the tires have a UST bead?

Tires are rated tubeless ready, not UST.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the info