mtbr member
    Jan 2004

rims: between XC and FR: 519? Big Box?

I have a set of Magura Pro (hugi x317 DT 14/15 brass nip) wheels that I know I should have destroyed by now, but haven't. Still as I am riding rougher and rougher stuff these days, why tempt fate? Unfortunately I like light, and don't own a gold mine. But a 2nd wheelset for the rougher days would be cool. Then I could have XC tires on the 317's and some bigger tires on the 2nd wheelset.

I already have a couple of extra hubs (Magura Hugi) that I found.

So, how about some rim opinions? 450-474 is about as heavy a rim as I will consider:

I think DT's are too narrow for what I want, plus the cost.
    There are still some Mavic 519's available. But then I came across a forum where a guy blasted them in favor of the 618's...mainly because of double eyeletting on the 618's Same weight. .
    Then I found some Syncros Big Box rims on the internet: reasonable 450gm weight, double eyelets, 25mm wide. 2 for less money than one discounted 519. Are they even welded? Are they junk? These are what I am really curious about.
    Or the Ritchey rims? Are they junk?

Any OTHER suggestions? I'm not impressed with Rhynolites. And have given up on finding the perfect wheelset used, good condition, but reasonable.

Also, 32 14/15 spokes: is there any real reason to go 14SG? I weigh 185, ride 4x4" travel, do not do extreme jumps, but lots of klutzy bike handling and some minor jumping. Oh, disc brakes of course.

Will work for gear

I've got a pair of Big Box rims

that I could take some detailed pics of if you're interested. Not using them if you are similarily interested. I'll let em go cheap.

Email or pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by impatient
    Then I found some Syncros Big Box rims on the internet: reasonable 450gm weight, double eyelets, 25mm wide. 2 for less money than one discounted 519. Are they even welded? Are they junk? These are what I am really curious about.
    Welded seams: no

Eyelets: yes, nice ones too

I have a spare wheelset built up with the big box rims. I have not used it much at all, but I was very impressed with the rims for the price. I'm not sure why in particular, but they built up very quickly and easily and were very true without much effort at all. The braking surface is very tall, which makes rim brake alignment easy. I have not put many miles on them, so I cannot comment on long term durability. Width is great, bit wider than a lot of lightweight XC rims but not too wide. Good size if you like "bigger" XC tires.

Obvious downside is non welded seam. Of course I'd prefer it to be welded. Until it blows out... at this price... I am not going to complain.

The eyelets look very similar to the Alex R390 rim that I have on my road bike, I wonder if that is who makes them.

I just let one RIP

Mavic XM 719

or the XM 819 (UST version of 719). 465 grams. 19mm inner bead width, 25.4 ? outer width. Haven't used them yet myself, but have heard they are good strong rims.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    or the XM 819 (UST version of 719). 465 grams. 19mm inner bead width, 25.4 ? outer width. Haven't used them yet myself, but have heard they are good strong rims.
    The 819 and 719 do not weight the same, there is a pretty big difference (the 819 is significantly heavier). The 719 is the same as the old 519.

I use the 519, and I like them. They seem to be a good rim for trail-riding.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

I just let one RIP

if you consider 5g a huge difference!

I haven't had opportunity to actually weigh them, but Mavic lists the 719 at 460 g and the 819 at 465 g. I have a hard time imagining that would make much of a huge difference in performance of the wheel, weight-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    The 819 and 719 do not weight the same, there is a pretty big difference (the 819 is significantly heavier). The 719 is the same as the old 519.

I use the 519, and I like them. They seem to be a good rim for trail-riding.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    I haven't had opportunity to actually weigh them, but Mavic lists the 719 at 460 g and the 819 at 465 g. I have a hard time imagining that would make much of a huge difference in performance of the wheel, weight-wise.
    Actual weight on the 819 is 510-515g.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

mtbr member

Most any of the rims suggested should be fine?

I havn't personally used all of the rims listed by you and the other posters, but any of them should be great. I own a set of 25mm wide WTB Laserbeam FR rims and think they are also an excellent rim in the mold of what you have described. I have a set of the Big Box rims from ebay on order. I am counting on their quality being on par with the syncros lil snapper rims I already own. I am very happy with the high quality of my syncros lil snapper rims. Assuming they are comparable to the lil snappers, I'd go with the Big Box rims. They don't cost much and should take a beating.

I am wondering why all the mention of rim brake rims? Are the X317's not disc rims? I would think that might open the door to some other possibilities. My bike uses rim brakes, so other posters will have to make suggestions. Which ever rim you choose, my advice is to just make sure it has eyelets and the builder is skilled.

I'd stick with the butted spokes over the 14g straight unless money is an issue. Maybe it is just my building skill, but I find it easier to get the thinner spokes to settle with my hands. What I mean is you are more likely to need to ride the 14g spokes around for a while to get them fully settled and will need to true them after the first couple of rides. If you need more strength, I would think it more effective to add spokes than go from 14/15 butted to 14 straight. If you do go with the 14g spokes, take it easy the first couple of rides and check the wheels often for trueness and even tension. Once settled, they should be good to go for a long time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

519s are great!

I have a set of Magura Pro (hugi x317 DT 14/15 brass nip) wheels that I know I should have destroyed by now, but haven't. Still as I am riding rougher and rougher stuff these days, why tempt fate? Unfortunately I like light, and don't own a gold mine. But a 2nd wheelset for the rougher days would be cool. Then I could have XC tires on the 317's and some bigger tires on the 2nd wheelset.

I already have a couple of extra hubs (Magura Hugi) that I found.

So, how about some rim opinions? 450-474 is about as heavy a rim as I will consider:

I think DT's are too narrow for what I want, plus the cost.
    There are still some Mavic 519's available. But then I came across a forum where a guy blasted them in favor of the 618's...mainly because of double eyeletting on the 618's Same weight. .
    Or the Ritchey rims? Are they junk?

Any OTHER suggestions? I'm not impressed with Rhynolites. And have given up on finding the perfect wheelset used, good condition, but reasonable.

Also, 32 14/15 spokes: is there any real reason to go 14SG? I weigh 185, ride 4x4" travel, do not do extreme jumps, but lots of klutzy bike handling and some minor jumping. Oh, disc brakes of course.
    I've been using the 519 on the rear for awhile now.No problems except a broken spoke....1st one in many years of riding.I ride pretty hard in technical terrain.The 317 worked fine until I dented it running about 32 psi and No Tubes.I'll change the front to a 519 soon.The other nice thing with the 519 is it's wider and the tire sits wider than those skinny rims.I wouldn't try anything but Mavic or Bontrager rims,That's what I've had the best luck with.Most of my rim failures have been due to not enough air or doing stupid stuff on my bike.Make sure spoke tension is perfect and the builder has a good rep.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    The eyelets look very similar to the Alex R390 rim that I have on my road bike, I wonder if that is who makes them.
    I think the Syncros rims were made by Rigida.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah

I've heard Mavic doesn't weigh the 819 / x3.1 with everything (they don't include something that contributes to the tubelessness).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Interesting spoke comments. Yes, I will use these on a disc-equipped bike. I wish there were a SLIGHTLY wider, SLIGHTLY stronger, disc-only alternative to the 317. I know they are coming...just as soon as I commit to what's out there today, they will come out.

I should probaly bite the bullet and buy 819 discs, but freak out on the combined weight / cost of good rim and tire. Last summer, I was using Cane Creek WAM' TI's with Explorer Pro's and 135g tubes. I'm slower this year without adding a pound or so of rotating weight.

Do It Yourself
    I've heard Mavic doesn't weigh the 819 / x3.1 with everything (they don't include something that contributes to the tubelessness).
    The published weight doesn't include the required nipple locks that hold the nipples to the rims from the outside.