mtbr member
    Sep 2007

rims - 5.1d, EX 721, DS 28 or ???

So I taco'd my front wheel today. My previous set-up was DT Swiss 5.1d rims with 240s hubs and super comp spokes. I'm hoping to keep the hubs. I already did a search online (incl. these forums) and got some information, but I'm hoping to get more specific information with this post.

Anyway, what rims do you guys recommend? I mostly ride AM type stuff but am increasingly getting into DH/FR type stuff and, until I get a DH bike, my current bike (a Moment), is my do-it-all bike.

I'm also guessing the rim I had would have held up fine if I didn't land wrong, so I'm leaning towards getting them again since they're so light. I'd prefer not to go over 600g since I still climb quite a bit.

I'm looking at the following:

DT Swiss 5.1d (500g)
    Mavic EX 721 (590g)
    Syncros AM DS 28 (545g)

Your thoughts are appreciated on these rims or any others you may recommend...

Thanks.

eBiker
    What are the chances that your wheel will be in a similar situation in the future? (what caused it to taco? a freak thing or a common jump? etc.)

If it was more of a freak thing, then stick with what you have, but perhaps beef up the spokes/nipples. The more likely the event is to happen again, the stronger the wheel you will need.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 08-30-2008 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Mavic stronger than DT Swiss stronger than Syncros (absolute junk from what I've seen). The latter 2 aren't dedicated rim makers and it shows, trust me.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    What are the chances that your wheel will be in a similar situation in the future? (what caused it to taco? a freak thing or a common jump? etc.)

If it was more of a freak thing, then stick with what you have, but perhaps beef up the spokes/nipples. The more likely the event is to happen again, the stronger the wheel you will need.

P
    It definitely wasn't a common thing, but it may be getting more common as I get into some more FR/DH stuff. I basically turned my wheel too far to the left on "landing" a 10 ft jump. So I spun out and endo'd (I think) and the wheel just taco'd. I've been to Bootleg Canyon and Mammoth and the wheels have held up fine. I guess it was more of a freak thing.

Do you agree that Mavic is better than DT Swiss is better than Syncros?

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow
    Do you agree that Mavic is better than DT Swiss is better than Syncros?
    I think Gman086 is correct, based on my limited experience. Mavic is stiffer aluminum, and DT Swiss is softer, and Syncros is sourced from some Taiwan catalog (IMHO, the Taiwanese have extensive experience bike manufacturing, so that is ok)

All have their pros and cons. Stiffer = stronger, but softer can be more compliant.

P

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    You should also consider the new Sun Equalizer 29 (c 520gm) and the stans Flow (470gm). gotta say, the stans is where i'm leaning for my next am rims.. Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo the Devo
    You should also consider the new Sun Equalizer 29 (c 520gm) and the stans Flow (470gm). gotta say, the stans is where i'm leaning for my next am rims.. Steve
    Why consider light weight rims if he is getting into DH The Mavic 721 would be a good choice.

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Why consider light weight rims if he is getting into DH The Mavic 721 would be a good choice.
    As LowLow stated in the original post, the rims are going on his do-it-all bike, it was an unusual event to bend the rim, and he wants to stay light (even considering same rim again). Both of these rims are, IMHO, stronger than the DT's; the fact that they are lighter is an added bonus, not the main consideration. If weight is the only factor determining strength we'd better all trade our expensive boutique bikes for Huffy's...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the replies.

I also just ran into a couple of guys from my LBS who said they could get me the entire Big Earl wheelset for $190. Great deal but it would add about 14oz to the bike, which would be kind of a bummer. I've read up on them and they sound like they're pretty bombproof.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd recommend rebuilding with another 5.1d - my favorite all-around rim. When you have the extra $$, pick up a heavy duty wheelset with DH tires/tubes for the DH/FR stuff (Mavic 729s are my favorite heavy duty rim).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    I'd recommend rebuilding with another 5.1d - my favorite all-around rim. When you have the extra $$, pick up a heavy duty wheelset with DH tires/tubes for the DH/FR stuff (Mavic 729s are my favorite heavy duty rim).
    That's what I ended up doing. For how light they are, I couldn't find anything else as durable. Since I'm going to be buying a Foes Mono from a friend soon, I'd like to keep this bike as light as possible (well, under 34lbs) and save the Mono for the more gnarly stuff