mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New question here. Rim too bent to re-true?

I failed to put the tire strap on my roof rack and my friend's brand new (to him) specialized FSR elite fell off my car, smashed my car on the way down, and got a badly bent rear wheel.

I took it upon myself to try to fix it for him before he goes out and got it re-trued by a professional. I've re-tensioned spokes and re-trued wheels with slight wobbles myself. This was by far, the most damaged wheel I've ever attempted to re-true.

I don't have a truing stand so I used my bike. I taped a pointy screw driver onto my bike to indicate center (when true, screw driver points at center of spoke nipple). I got to work. Within an hour or so, I had it very close to no wobble. Only wobble was where the ends of the rim come together to form a circle. It must have come down near this as they do not align/are bent.

So having it "true", I realize many of the spokes are very loose feeling. So I put some tension on these and to my surprise, it starts to pull the rim the other way... this is surprising because of the amount of pressure i had to put on the spokes in order to get it re-trued.

Regardless, I have to go around again. The loose spokes, I loosen up again and the tight spokes, I crank down on some more. As I'm cranking on one of the spokes, POW. Snapped a spoke. sonofabt1ch!

It's got me wondering.... are other spokes now so tight that while my friend is riding, there's a good chance that he might snap a spoke or two? If I back off tension on the super tight spokes, it's likely to go un-true again. Should I have done things differently? Was the rim so badly bent that It should have been replaced and spokes should have been replaced too?

If I replace the spoke & nipple and tighten it back up, I'll still have a bunch of spokes that are just barely tight and a bunch of spokes that super tight.

Thanks in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    Bite the bullet and buy your buddy a new rear wheel.

mtbr member
    That wheel is highly unstable and will fail, potentially injuring your friend. Either have the rim replaced or buy him a wheel.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Two good posts above this one.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Error on the side of caution.

Understood.

Thanks.