mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rim Recommendations Needed - Rim Brake

I'm rebuilding one of my first bikes as it is a good light AL frame into an SS. However the rear rim has been through a lot so I need to replace it. But since the bike is pretty old it only takes rim brakes, so I'm looking for recommendations for an AM type rim that a 200LB rider won't kill but is still relatively light since it's a SS. 32 spoke at a minimum. It was originally a Mavic X517 - It held up quite well.

I've done the typical searches but most of what I'm finding is not rim brake.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Mavic makes the XC717 which is the updated version of the X517, as far as I can tell it's pretty much the same rim. If you want something stronger you can get the Mavic XM719 which is about 60g heavier but will stand up to a lot more abuse.

Personally I'm more than willing to take the slight weight penalty and go with the 719, it gives me the peace of mind of knowing that I'm not going to bend the rim or knock it out of true unless I do something truly crazy or dumb. I have a 719 on one of my bikes and it's been given a good beating, I've jumped it, done DH riding on it, and crashed the bike a bunch of times. The rear wheel's still perfect and I've never trued it since the day I built it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rim Recommendations Needed - Rim Brake

How does this compare to the WTB Dual Duty?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've never used the WTB Dual Duty on my own bikes, but I have worked on a number of them in my shop days and I recall building up a wheel or 2 with those rims. They're decent rims but not as nice as the Mavic 719, they're a bit softer and get knocked out of true easier as well as being heavier. They also don't have the same finish quality as Mavics and don't build up as nicely into perfectly straight wheels. Then again, the WTB is only about half the price of the Mavic so you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll probably go with the Mavic - I've had good luck with them in the past so no reason to change that I suppose!