mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Rhythm Comp Replacement? Really an upgrade?

A few weeks ago, the "wheel stiffner" on my front Bontrager Duster wheel broke, which led to a clicking noise every time the tire rotated. My LBS contacted Trek, who initially said they would send out replacement parts, but no new wheelset. Surprisingly, I get a call today from my LBS saying that he had a "surprise" for me and to bring my bike in. Waiting for me was a new set of Bonty Rhythm Comp TLRs. What do you all think? Thoughts on the Rhythm Comps?
    Last edited by zerohnine; 05-20-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohnine
    A few weeks ago, the "wheel stiffner" on my front Bontrager Duster wheel broke, which led to a clicking noise every time the tire rotated. My LBS contacted Trek, who initially said they would send out replacement parts, but no new wheelset. Surprisingly, I get a call today from my LBS saying that he had a "surprise" for me and to bring my bike in. Waiting for me was a new set of Bonty Rhythm Comp TLRs! A nice upgrade to my Duster wheels. What do you all think? Thoughts on the TLRs? Thanks, Trek! And definitely thanks to my LBS who have been super cool with me!
    The Duster and Rhythm are the same rim. Add the TLR rim strip and valve and both are tubeless.

It is a VERY good system when used with UST, Bonty TLR, or Geax TnT tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Any difference in weight between the the Duster and Rhythm?

Any difference in weight between the the Duster and Rhythm?
    No, the only difference between the rims is the number of spoke holes.

Rhythm is a wheelset (28 spoke).

Duster is 32 hole and can be laced to any hub.
    mtbtires.com

A few weeks ago, the "wheel stiffner" on my front Bontrager Duster wheel broke, which led to a clicking noise every time the tire rotated. My LBS contacted Trek, who initially said they would send out replacement parts, but no new wheelset. Surprisingly, I get a call today from my LBS saying that he had a "surprise" for me and to bring my bike in. Waiting for me was a new set of Bonty Rhythm Comp TLRs. What do you all think? Thoughts on the Rhythm Comps?
    Now you have changed your subject line...

Your new wheels are good. And the easiest way for Trek to replace your rim (no rebuild needed).

Is it an upgrade? Depends on the hubs in the old wheels. But Trek tends to use lower end Shimano hubs with the Duster rims and --what I consider nicer--cartridge bearing hubs in the Rhythm wheel sets.

You received great service. Ride your bike. Enjoy.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Getting a better sense of the differences now. Thanks, Shiggy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Good job! Duster vs Rhythm Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    No, the only difference between the rims is the number of spoke holes.

Rhythm is a wheelset (28 spoke).

Duster is 32 hole and can be laced to any hub.

SHIGGY, thanks for the 411. I have the Dusters & just picked up a pair of Rhythms to run winter tires on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Rhythm Elite/Pro wheel-sets are lighter and stronger than both the Duster & Rhythm Comp....correct?

Quote Originally Posted by E-ROG View Post
    SHIGGY, thanks for the 411. I have the Dusters & just picked up a pair of Rhythms to run winter tires on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Rhythm Elite/Pro wheel-sets are lighter and stronger than both the Duster & Rhythm Comp....correct?
    The current wheels have changed a bit. IIRC the Rhythm Elite rim is a different, lighter alloy. Hubs are similar if not the same with all models. Would not expect significant strength differences.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Duster v Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The current wheels have changed a bit. IIRC the Rhythm Elite rim is a different, lighter alloy. Hubs are similar if not the same with all models. Would not expect significant strength differences.
    Cool, thanks for the info. That makes since.
    Based on the Bontrager site it looks as though they have simply replaced the word "Elite" with the word "Pro" in the Rhythm line. Seems to have been done some time in 2010 or 2011. Does that sound right to you? The products are identical (stems, seat-posts, etc).
    Local Trek rep speculated that they probably did it because Thomson has been using "Elite" for so long and they wanted to differentiate their high end Rhythm line.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi, I have rhythm PRO wheels and I'm looling to replace a tacoed rim.
    Any ideas where to get hold of a black 28h 26" rhythm rim?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Bontrager Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by the Swede View Post
    Hi, I have rhythm PRO wheels and I'm looling to replace a tacoed rim.
    Any ideas where to get hold of a black 28h 26" rhythm rim?
    Thanks!
    Any local Trek dealer can order one for you, just make sure you are talking to an associate that know what they are doing. I think you can also order through the Bontrager site and you "may" find one or two on ebay from time to time.