MarkyMark

Reynolds AM Carbon Wheelset

Anyone have hands-on experience with the new Reynolds XC/AM/29er carbon wheelset?

I've was bit by the carbon wheelset bug a while back. I bought a Shimano XTR Race wheelset and thought that it'd go way, but didn't. I was lurking on eBay and found a set of Reynolds AM carbon wheels for a super steep discount. Anyhow, I should be receiving them in a week or so..

I did a bit of research on them and they sound good (Reynolds AM MTB - Bikes | Cycling | Mountain Biking on Cyclist No.1).

The only concern I had was the hubs. Reynold's high-end wheelset (isn't $1800 high-end??) use the DT 240s internals, but I think the AM's use Taiwan-sourced hubs. The rims are drilled for 28 holes so I could replace the hubs in the worst-case situation.

MarkyMark
    Got the wheels and finally got around to swapping the rotors and tires from my other wheelset (Arch+XT rear, Arch+Ibis front) over.

Reynolds AM Wheelset

-The front came in at 832g with the 15mm setup (w/o rim tape and schrader valve). I swapped it to the 20mm and saved some weight by dropping the 15mm tube.
    -The rear came in at 912g with the 135mm QR setup (w/o rim tape and schrader valve).

I was running tubeless, but put tubes in the tires to seat the beads before I attempt to go tubeless (probably have the shop do this for me).

I'm looking forward to my first ride!

MarkyMark
    I took my new wheelset out yesterday for a short shake-down ride and they seemed to spin up quickly, even with the tubes. I took a few small boosts/jumps and they felt solid on landing.

I went out today to Demo for my first real ride with them. I went down Ridge and Corral, up Sulphur, down Ridge to Sawpit, up Suphur, down Ridge to Braille and out. It seemed like I was going significantly faster down Ridge than usual. I took a few more of the jumps than I normally hit (stopped and turned around if I missed them)! They rear seems pretty stiff--I didn't get any tire buzz when I took hard corners or landed a bit off. There was no spoke pinging at all. I was purposely being harder on them to check for weaknesses and they passed with flying colors!

The hubs appear to be high quality and spin nicely. I'm not sure about the POE in the rear hub. I was hitting a few "dead" sections when pedaling so they're on par with my old Crossmax. I adjusted and it wasn't bothering me after the first 30 minutes.

I'm very happy with my Reynolds AM wheelset right now. They're going to be even better after I convert them to tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got a set of the carbon 29er wheelset. I've had them for about 3 weeks. Put about 100 miles on them. 70 miles in southern Utah last weekend. I absolutely love them. Everywhere I point the wheels, they go with no complaint or issue. I had no problem setting them up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Reynolds AM Wheelset

Hey if anyone is interested in getting their hands on a set of Reynolds AM wheels. I have a pair that I would sell for cheap. Email me at bikeaddict.of.b @ gmail.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any more reports on the wheels? I ride the same trails. Can they handle everything on braille? did you end up setting them up as tubeless? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    I took my new wheelset out yesterday for a short shake-down ride and they seemed to spin up quickly, even with the tubes. I took a few small boosts/jumps and they felt solid on landing.

I went out today to Demo for my first real ride with them. I went down Ridge and Corral, up Sulphur, down Ridge to Sawpit, up Suphur, down Ridge to Braille and out. It seemed like I was going significantly faster down Ridge than usual. I took a few more of the jumps than I normally hit (stopped and turned around if I missed them)! They rear seems pretty stiff--I didn't get any tire buzz when I took hard corners or landed a bit off. There was no spoke pinging at all. I was purposely being harder on them to check for weaknesses and they passed with flying colors!

The hubs appear to be high quality and spin nicely. I'm not sure about the POE in the rear hub. I was hitting a few "dead" sections when pedaling so they're on par with my old Crossmax. I adjusted and it wasn't bothering me after the first 30 minutes.

I'm very happy with my Reynolds AM wheelset right now. They're going to be even better after I convert them to tubeless.

MarkyMark
    So far so good. Unfortunately, I haven't been back out to Demo much since so the wheels have been relatively idle. I've been riding my other bikes and am thinking of moving the wheels onto one of them to get more use out of them.

I converted the rear to tubeless with a Conti Vertical Pro UST. I initially had problems with a Maxxis Crossmark UST where the bead wouldn't lock. I pulled the Crossmark off of a XTR wheelset so I know it's okay. I used lots of soapy water, high pressure (60lbs/in), and tried riding/jumping a bit, but the bead wouldn't "pop" and lock. The Conti locked on easily, but it's kinda old and I'm not too thrilled about having it for a rear. I had this tire burp on me a couple times when I had it mounted up front. It was a bit sketchy at Demo and wasn't able to climb up stuff I normally could.

I saw the new/old models at Sea Otter. They look pretty pimp and have the DT hub internals that I originally wanted. I guess the version I have were temporary until they could get their new ones dailed in. I'm okay with these. I can probably get new spokes anywhere and swap out the hubs, if I want. I'm still liking my hubs, though.

Quote Originally Posted by o3zone View Post
    Any more reports on the wheels? I ride the same trails. Can they handle everything on braille? did you end up setting them up as tubeless? Thanks!

MarkyMark
    Long term update:

I had a drive-side spoke break on me a couple months back. No biggie, though I rarely break spokes. I got it replaced at my LBS and I was on my way. I was up at Downieville last weekend and did a couple good downhill runs on these wheels.

We were up in Annadel yesterday and I broke 3 drive-side spokes just as we hit the rocky section after the start of Lawndale downhill. It was really weird because the three were relatively close to each other (broken spoke, 3 okay spokes, broken spoke, 3 okay spokes, broken spoke). I initially thought I got something jammed in my spokes, but that wasn't it. My ride was over and I pushed back up to a flat area, installed a tube, and very gingerly rode/walked back down to the car.

My wheel is at the shop being rebuilt with CXrays spokes and new brass nipples. The Revolutions may be a bit too light for these wheels and how I've been riding them. I'm not sure, but there's something weird about all four spoke breaks being the drive side.

Save Jesus
    What part of the spoke broke?

MarkyMark
    All four breaks were near the cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    What part of the spoke broke?

Save Jesus
    If it broke at the elbow, that means the spokes were not properly set and stress-relieved during the initial build.

MarkyMark
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    If it broke at the elbow, that means the spokes were not properly set and stress-relieved during the initial build.
    No, they didn't break at the elbow. It wasn't particularly near the taper either.

CIMG0970

I got the wheel back and rode it this weekend. It seems good so far. I hope it'll be trouble-free with the CX-Rays, new brass nipples, and full rebuild by Ford @ Tread in Campbell, CA.

CIMG0971

I ordered a rear thru-axle conversion kit for one of my DT 240s wheelsets just in case.