mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Review: Bicycle Wheel Warehouse - Pure XCR Wheelset

I ordered the Pure XCR Wheelset with the following options from BWW's website on3/13/12 around 8:00pm central. So well after business hours.

Rims: Pure XCR Blue
    Hubs: Pure XCR Blue
    Spokes: DT Swiss Champion Black
    +Rim Tape (Which I ended up not needing becaue im going tubeless) but over $4.95 im not going to sweat it (im sure it'll end up getting used sooner or later.) With the wheels I also recieved the blue anodized 9mm QR skewers and a white BWW Water Bottle.

I recieved an email from them on 3/16/12 (Friday morning) saying my order had been recieved and would be sent out as soon as possible. Later that afternoon I recieved a phone call from Pat letting me know they were done along with a few questions he had for me. He again let me know he'd be shipping them out asap. I chose normal UPS ground shipping. The wheels arrived today around 11:30am perfectly packaged and in perfect shape. In my honest opinion, I dont think a business week's worht of turnaround time on a hand built set of wheels is to shabby in the least. My customer service experience through this whole process has been completely painless, something as of late I havent been used to.

I want to thank Pat and the guys at BWW for a great buying experience and hooking me up with an awesome set of wheels. Also Pat, those decals look really sharp. I'll be sure to get some high res pictures of the wheels on my bike tommorow evening.

I didnt weigh the wheels before I dropped them off to have the tires and tubeless kit put on (particular shop didnt charge me labor so I figured why not let them do it). But here are the posted sample weights from bicyclewheelwarehouse.com.

Spoke Type w/ Blk Brass Nipples
    Front Rear Wheel Set
    DT Competition 2.0/1.8mm
    797g 925g 1722g
    DT Champion 2.0mm
    816g 944g 1760g

Once I get my current wheelset stripped ill weigh them for reference. These are going on a 2010 Giant Yukon FX using a Bontrager tubeless kit and Geax Seguaro tires.

2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The shop said this is one of the easiest tubeless conversions theyve ever done.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about a red set.

mtbr member
    Let us know how strong they are after a few lashings. What do you think about the Pure hubs? Quick engagement?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Took them on their first ride saturday and im in love with them. They just roll so much faster and enagge so much quicker than my stockers. And those Saguaro tires are perfect for my local trail setup. The only problem is after having a good wheelset ive realized exactly how horrid my front fork is. I put about as hard of a thrashing as Im going to on them and they still roll true with no issues. And I got a pretty good handful of comments on the color choice to.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Wheel Builder
    Wow those turned out awesome with your bike. Perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks again Pat. Im really happy with them. Ive been using the heck out of that sweet water bottle as well.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Posted Weights of the XCR/Saguaro vs measured weighs of the Giant Wheels/Nevegals....

XCR | Giant
    Front: 797g | 1035g
    Rear: 816g | 1236g

Saguaro (XC Casing Folding) | Nevegal
    640g | 749g

Bontrager Tubeless Kit | Tube (2x each)
    Strip: 35g Valve: 9g | Tubes:175g

So a whole wheel assembly w/o rotor for the XCR set would be...
    Front: 1481g
    Rear: 1500g

Wheras the stock Giant weights would be.... (again w/o rotor)
    Front: 1959g
    Rear: 2160g

Thats a weight savings of 478g up front and 660g in the rear. For a total weight savings of 1138g across the bike. Thats a whole 2.48 lbs.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought a bww wheelset a few years ago. DT 5.1's laced to their pure xcr hubs. I must say they built them up nicely. Rode it for years and they never needed truing. But the freehub blew up on me not long ago. Emailed them asking about getting a new one. They asked for my address, so I assumed they were going to send me one. But I never received anything or another response despite my other emails. They are good builders but IMO have bad customer service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have you tried calling them? I sent a couple of emails that never got responded to. I get the feeling they are a busy bunch and it would be more productive if you called them.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX