mtbr member

Review: AM Havoc Rear bolt on axle

I ordered up the bolt on axle kit for my AM Havocs in November and put some miles on it through December. Now that the snow is here I have time to write about it.

Bike setup: Chumba XCL with Lyrik, ISX 6, 2.3" Eskars set up tubeless, all mountain, bah, blah, blah.
    Rider: 6' 165lbs geared up. Smooth as much as possible, but we all have our indiscretions.

I'm very fond of these wheels to begin with, having put them on a bunch of different bikes ranging from 4" hardtails, 5" trail bikes and now the Chumba. Having done away with the quick release in the front, I thought it appropriate to perform a similar conversion on the rear. I called Easton, ordered the kit and had in two weeks. Cost was $80 with new axle, bots, bearings and tools (more on that in a minute). The idea is to replace the standard axle with a beefier axle that bolts the wheel in place, rather than a skewer, increasing stiffness.

Installation was fairly simple. Refer to my freehub service guide for instructions, as I don't feel like reposting all that here. http://forums.mtbr.com/blog.php?do=s...&e=2738&enum=2

I wish I had taken more photos, but the new axle is noticeably bigger than the QR axle. Rather than screw on end caps, there are knurled end caps that snap on. The bolts utilize an 8mm hex wrench to tighten them up - Easton recommends re-tightening them after the first ride, once the knurled ends have seated themselves. I did so, and noticed that the bolts *had* loosened a touch. After the initial tightening and re-tightening, the bolts stayed nice and tight.

The quality is superb. The axle and bolts are very precise and have a nice clean look to them. I weighed both the QR set up and bolt-on assembly and IIRC the weight difference was only 60g. A small price to pay for what you gain.

Riding, the difference is easily noticeable. Most noticeable in bermed corners where the rear wheel tracked much straighter. I actually had to adjust my riding style as I was accustomed to compensating for flex. It is indeed THAT much stiffer. All in all, very much worth the $80.

Photos...

1. QR removed
    2. Knurled end cap
    3. Bolt half-screwed in
    4. Mounted up!
    5. Sexy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: AM Havoc Rear bolt on axle-image-003.jpg  

Review: AM Havoc Rear bolt on axle-image-005.jpg  

Review: AM Havoc Rear bolt on axle-image-006.jpg  

Review: AM Havoc Rear bolt on axle-image-008.jpg  

Review: AM Havoc Rear bolt on axle-image-009.jpg  

nocturnal oblivion
    $80 huh? Seems Easton is selective in their pricing, a while back they were quoting 80, then it went up to $110. Exactly why I never bothered and just replaced the bearings.
    The bearings are the same right?
    Any idea what Easton is quoting just for the axle?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    The bearings are identical. I'm actually not 100% sure what the whole deal would've cost. I ordered replacement spokes at the same time, and after I found out the bearing tools were backordered, I canceled that order and used sockets. I believe the axle and bearings cost me $80. I think the tools would have been an extra $30.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    $80 huh? Seems Easton is selective in their pricing, a while back they were quoting 80, then it went up to $110. Exactly why I never bothered and just replaced the bearings.
    The bearings are the same right?
    Any idea what Easton is quoting just for the axle?
    Easton has the axle listed for $66 on their site, but out of stock at the moment: http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/m...c-bolt-on-assy

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    I ordered up the bolt on axle kit for my AM Havocs in November and put some miles on it through December. Now that the snow is here I have time to write about it.

Bike setup: Chumba XCL with Lyrik, ISX 6, 2.3" Eskars set up tubeless, all mountain, bah, blah, blah.
    Rider: 6' 165lbs geared up. Smooth as much as possible, but we all have our indiscretions.

I'm very fond of these wheels to begin with, having put them on a bunch of different bikes ranging from 4" hardtails, 5" trail bikes and now the Chumba. Having done away with the quick release in the front, I thought it appropriate to perform a similar conversion on the rear. I called Easton, ordered the kit and had in two weeks. Cost was $80 with new axle, bots, bearings and tools (more on that in a minute). The idea is to replace the standard axle with a beefier axle that bolts the wheel in place, rather than a skewer, increasing stiffness.

Installation was fairly simple. Refer to my freehub service guide for instructions, as I don't feel like reposting all that here. http://forums.mtbr.com/blog.php?do=s...&e=2738&enum=2

I wish I had taken more photos, but the new axle is noticeably bigger than the QR axle. Rather than screw on end caps, there are knurled end caps that snap on. The bolts utilize an 8mm hex wrench to tighten them up - Easton recommends re-tightening them after the first ride, once the knurled ends have seated themselves. I did so, and noticed that the bolts *had* loosened a touch. After the initial tightening and re-tightening, the bolts stayed nice and tight.

The quality is superb. The axle and bolts are very precise and have a nice clean look to them. I weighed both the QR set up and bolt-on assembly and IIRC the weight difference was only 60g. A small price to pay for what you gain.

Riding, the difference is easily noticeable. Most noticeable in bermed corners where the rear wheel tracked much straighter. I actually had to adjust my riding style as I was accustomed to compensating for flex. It is indeed THAT much stiffer. All in all, very much worth the $80.

Photos...

1. QR removed
    2. Knurled end cap
    3. Bolt half-screwed in
    4. Mounted up!
    5. Sexy

How have the wheels treated you as I have rear some mixed reviews on the havocs..

mtbr member
    The wheels have treated me very well. I've been on them for two years, on three different bikes with no major issues. I did crack several spoke nipples, which was a bit of a hassle because I have them set up tubeless, but easy to fix. I also broke a couple spokes because of an errant stick, but in both scenarios, the wheel remained surprisingly true. Sourcing spokes from Easton is the only way to go (DT Swiss makes them and told me they don't stock them anywhere in the US), so I'd recommend ordering some in advance.

I like to run low pressure, and despite that I only have one or two small dings in the rear wheel (from harsh pinch flats in my pre-tubeless days). The dings are small enough that they don't affect the ability to setup the wheels with a Stan's kit, and they have held air beautifully.

I use them on the more XC-side of AM, but have also taken them downhilling (I'm not much of a downhiller) with no ill effects. They seem ideal for a 6" bike, but I wouldn't want them on one if I was going to take it freeriding or downhilling on a regular basis. Perfect wheels for Moab, Fruita, as well as general east coast rockiness.

Very pleased with them for $350.

mtbr member

Reviving on ald thread maybe?

I just got the axle for my AM's and I really like it. However I noticed the first time I pulled the wheel off the bike (to clean it) the drive side end cap came off and the free hub and cassette came right along with it. Has anyone else had any issue like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepcop31 View Post
    I just got the axle for my AM's and I really like it. However I noticed the first time I pulled the wheel off the bike (to clean it) the drive side end cap came off and the free hub and cassette came right along with it. Has anyone else had any issue like this?
    I believe the end cap is the only thing holding the cassette in place, but it shouldn't come off that easily unless you yank on it. I suppose it is possible it was never seated completely. It should seat on the axle with a distinct click if memory serves me, does yours?

mtbr member
    Yeah it did but something seems weird with the dust cover. Like it should be more secure too. Idk. Maybe I'll give Easton a call.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So I'm going to be the latest one to revive this thread. I'm trying to install my bolt-on and I can't figure out for the life of me how to pound out the bearings. I've got the endcaps, axle, and freehub removed. Now I'm sitting here looking at this page and I can't make heads or tails of it. I've found a couple links to other stuff from Easton's site but the links are all down. I don't even know which bearing is supposed to come out first. I don't think I'm a complete idiot, but maybe I am? What am I missing here?

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    So I'm going to be the latest one to revive this thread. I'm trying to install my bolt-on and I can't figure out for the life of me how to pound out the bearings. I've got the endcaps, axle, and freehub removed. Now I'm sitting here looking at this page and I can't make heads or tails of it. I've found a couple links to other stuff from Easton's site but the links are all down. I don't even know which bearing is supposed to come out first. I don't think I'm a complete idiot, but maybe I am? What am I missing here?
    If you removed the axle already then it's not the hub displayed in those directions. My old AM Havoc was as shown in the directions, the axle doesn't just come out unless you tap it out to pop a bearing as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hmmmm strange. My axle didn't just come out, its tapered and had to be tapped out, but the bearings remained in place. I ended up getting them out anyhow, it just took a lot of swearing and frustration. Definitely not thrilled with easton as far as their service instructions though. The exploded parts diagram is more useful than anything else. A bunch of the links on their site are dead.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I just installed the bolt on adaptors to my Easton Havoc as well and had some trouble with the drive side bearing. The disc side bearing tapped out pretty easily. Just used a socket attached to a socket wrench extender and tapped it out by inserting it through the hub from the drive side and tapping with a hammer.

It wasn't obvious that the drive side bearing would pound out with the pall engagement teeth still in place, but the diagram on the Easton site helped me decide that it would (plus I set the new bearing down on top of the old one and it slid past the pall engagment teeth easily). Havinging said all that, I still never got it out, but it felt smooth and tight so I just didn't replace it.

I really felt the difference in the stiffness of the rear end on my first couple rides. As a bonus the clicking noise when torking in 32 x 30 or 32x34 gear combo that I thought was loose/worn freehub bearings is gone. Must've been related to some rear wheel/hub flex due to the QR.

Worthy upgrade. I think I paid $59 for the kit (no tools) from Price Point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Finished my conversion up, didn't get a chance to ride today but with temps pushing 80 tomorrow and thursday, I'll be out there come hell or high water. My 15mm front adapter came today so I just slapped that on as well as my new Revelation.

obsessive
    Does anybody know who might have one of these axle kits in stock? I was lucky enough to get the 15QR adapter for the Havoc AM front wheel after swapping forks, but so far no luck with the rear. The only site I could find that has them actively listed is bikebling, but they confirmed they don't have them on the shelf.
    Go out and ride your bike

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash666 View Post
    Does anybody know who might have one of these axle kits in stock? I was lucky enough to get the 15QR adapter for the Havoc AM front wheel after swapping forks, but so far no luck with the rear. The only site I could find that has them actively listed is bikebling, but they confirmed they don't have them on the shelf.
    Give Easton a call.

obsessive
    Thanks for the response. Easton is not stocking them, and the Havoc hub was revised for '12, so I don't expect to see any more produced. Luckily, I found one in stock at a shop in Germany- just got the DHL confirmation. Yes!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I bought the 'kit' from a shop in NZ, and just received it today but it only arrived with just the axle assembly. Paid the price of the full kit as well. I've emailed them asking where's the rest...but in case I don't get a good response....would anyone know where I'd get spare bearings and the tools?

Quote Originally Posted by h2ored View Post
    I bought the 'kit' from a shop in NZ, and just received it today but it only arrived with just the axle assembly. Paid the price of the full kit as well. I've emailed them asking where's the rest...but in case I don't get a good response....would anyone know where I'd get spare bearings and the tools?
    In my experience, it is possible to reuse the existing bearings if they are still in good condition (no gritty or notchy feeling when spun). I know technically you aren't supposed to hammer on the inner race of bearings, but if you aren't abusive tapping out the axle the bearings won't be damaged. I did this and the hub is still going strong with the original bearings. If you get the bearings, I would just hold on to them for future replacement spares. You also don't really need the bearing tools... just use an appropriate sized socket (one that fits the diameter of the bearing outer race) to press the bearing back in after replacing the axle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotrash666 View Post
    Can't remember where I got mine now. Either Price Point or Universal I think.

Where'd you get the 15mm adaptor for the front hub? Thinking about swithching to a 15 QR fork myself.

obsessive
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Where'd you get the 15mm adaptor for the front hub? Thinking about swithching to a 15 QR fork myself.
    Surprisingly scarce part. Try bikebling.com, they were in stock when I ordered mine.