None
    Apr 2007

Reversing the Chevron

Hello,

For years I have been riding rear tires with the Chevron in the reverse direction from the front. I just mounted a set of new tires that stated the rear tire Chevron direction is optional. What are the advantages of reversing the Chevron? What are the advantages of running the rear tire Chevron in the same direction as the front tire? Any advice or help is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Are you The Hamster from France?

Chevron on the front tire should be placed with the V pointing forward on the top.
    That way they can find more grip while cornering.
    The rear is commonly placed in opposite direction, for more traction.
    Like this (top view):

Rear <<<--BIKE-->>> Front

Rear tire can be reversed for better braking and/or self clearing.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

None
    Apr 2007
    No. I am not from France. I was born and raised in the Chinese-owned territory of Usa. But thank you for the information. It is good to know and now I understand what difference the direction of the Chevron makes. I'll continue to opt for the "better traction" option.

T.W.O.
    I would not do it unless the companies suggested. They spend a lot of time R&D for the maximum performance to get the right balance of each tire. Reversing the pattern seems backward to me. Back in the day when there were only 15 different tires in 2 sizes, may be. Now there are thousands of tires one for each day of the week and your mood. Pick the one that suit your trail and style of riding and go from there.

Plays with tools
    FWIW, I have had a couple of tires that I HATED when mounted in the manufactures suggested direction but when I switched them around to run 'backwards' they were decent tires.

It doesn't cost you anything to try them both ways, go for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was a universal rule?

Sometime in the past (goes way back before bike tires..all the way to farm equipment and old "hare scrambles" dirt motorcycles) common wisdom was that the rear (driving) tire was best when the treads wedged loose dirt and mud out to the sides of the tires; "trapping" dirt in the treads seldom worked well as the treads loaded up with material and became slicks.

Front (or "driven" wheels on farm equipment, for example) were just the opposite, but for somewaht the same reason; you wanted to keep from loading them up. A tap on the brakes or the drag of driving would force trapped material out of the tread blocks or bars.

I have an old bike with a set of almost tractor-tread-like tires on it; they peformed about the same either way in the summer, but when riding in the wet stciky snow we get early in winter you can really tell the difference.